Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with parts interchangeability for my upcoming build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with parts interchangeability for my upcoming build.

So I have a 79 Mercury Zephyr that will be receiving a turbo'd 6.0. I am trying to do this build as cheap as possible. I have already collected some parts and plan on collecting some more soon, but here are a few of my questions and concerns for those who are more knowledgable with the LS engines.

First off I have an L76 short block. I do believe that comes with the 58x reluctor wheel. Should I swap that wheel for a 24x reluctor wheel? Or if I find an older model ECU can that be handled and programmed through the ECU. I have read there is a box that can be wired in that will convert the signal or whatever from 58 to 24, but have read mixed reviews on that. If I do not swap the wheel then do I need to find the newer sensors and a newer style ECU that will run this engine with that reluctor wheel or would it just be cheaper to run megasquirt? I was told that HPtuners would be my cheapest route, but I am still trying to learn about all of this stuff.

I found a 12582605 ECU at the salvage yard today and found a Suburban and a truck that had harnesses still on them that had not been all hacked up. I could probably scoop that stuff up for cheap if I can use it.

I will have more questions, but thats the one that sticks out most in my mind right now.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Microsquirt will work with either, but the 58x is more work. Check out Sloppy Mechanics WIki or pm Denmah (On this site) about that. As far as Factory stuff goes, it's easier to just get everything for your current engine and program the pcm than to try and convert to older technology or mix and match parts from different generation LS engines.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
Microsquirt will work with either, but the 58x is more work. Check out Sloppy Mechanics WIki or pm Denmah (On this site) about that. As far as Factory stuff goes, it's easier to just get everything for your current engine and program the pcm than to try and convert to older technology or mix and match parts from different generation LS engines.
So you are saying to try and find an ECU from either a Pontiac G8 or either the 2007-2009 truck that came with this engine and use that ECU? Maybe try to source an engine harness from either? I know that I will not be using all of that DOD stuff and I will be replacing the lifters and all so none of that stuff will be an issue.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

What I'm saying is it's easier to stay with gen iv electronics than trying to convert backwards an engine's hard parts.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

The real question is what trans are you going to run since you have no electronics yet? megasquirt and microsquirt work well with non electronics trans. If you are running a 4l80e then stay with gm pcm and harness. Take a look at the Sloppy Mechanics youtube videos or search them here. Denmah started with megasquirt with his th400/4.8 combo then went to Gm stuff on his third build with a 5.3/4l80e combo in his Fairmonts.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
The real question is what trans are you going to run since you have no electronics yet? megasquirt and microsquirt work well with non electronics trans. If you are running a 4l80e then stay with gm pcm and harness. Take a look at the Sloppy Mechanics youtube videos or search them here. Denmah started with megasquirt with his th400/4.8 combo then went to Gm stuff on his third build with a 5.3/4l80e combo in his Fairmonts.
Ive chatted online with Denmah a couple times over on facebook. I will probably talk with him some more now that you bring it up.

I started to lean towards an 80e, but would not be opposed to a th400. Whatever I can get away with for cheap.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Since you are looking for cheap..... microsquirt is batch fire wasted spark setup and about 395 ecm with 8' harness using your own connectors which you don't have or 795 harness and ecm with ls1 connectors. Then you don't need Hp tuners because tunerstudio is free! Th400 vs 4l80e is a toss up on power level build price. It just depends if you want/need overdrive.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

As of now I am headed towards the Microsquirt. I managed to get a bunch of the connectors from the salvage yard the other day. Might just go the Microsquirt / TH400 route.

Quick Reply: Need help with parts interchangeability for my upcoming build.