Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help foxbody conversion guru's

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help foxbody conversion guru's

The car is a 93 lx. I will be swapping in a 4.8 and am considering a tremec t56. i have several questions so far. The car is an auto so i will be swapping it to a manual so as far as i have read all i need to purchase is a pedal assembly and clutch quadrant and cable and i should be good to go correct? My second question is what have you guys done with the electronics? do you modify the stock harness and throw the ecu somewhere in the bay or interior? and how do you tie it into the rest of the system and tune it through the obd port? would it just be easier to go with a FAST kit? thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

Cost wise cheap to expensive :mod your own harness, buy aftermarket, FAST kit. If modding your own, you will have to extend every wire if wanting to mount any place outside engine bay. The truck harness is pretty long for a Fox body. On my Ranger I mounted the PCM on Passenger side where 2.3 Air filter was. Where you mod the harness and put a fuse box in, I extended the power wires to reach the power distribution box. I removed Wires that connected FORDs stuff(injectors, coils,pcm,etc) and connected the ls stuff to them. All my power is tried to the factory FORD wiring. It is very easy with wiring schematics. If you are intimidated by wiring an aftermarket harness is super easy, only 3 wire hookup(12v, keyed hot, and ground). There are other wires that get hooked up depending on options you have(fuel pump, Tach, Speed sensor out, Brake light switch, etc).
Old 09-15-2014, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

As far as tuning goes: you would need HP Tuners, EFI live, or another software to remove VATS and set up your combo, or Take it to a shop that does tuning, or get a mail order tune from a sponsor.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsx_production
The car is a 93 lx. I will be swapping in a 4.8 and am considering a tremec t56. i have several questions so far. The car is an auto so i will be swapping it to a manual so as far as i have read all i need to purchase is a pedal assembly and clutch quadrant and cable and i should be good to go correct? My second question is what have you guys done with the electronics? do you modify the stock harness and throw the ecu somewhere in the bay or interior? and how do you tie it into the rest of the system and tune it through the obd port? would it just be easier to go with a FAST kit? thanks for the help guys!
Well the t56 is a hydraulic clutch set up and the factory set up on a fox body is a cable...I bent over and bought the Mcleod conversion which is a pull style clutch master with a short cable running out the back and a custom quadrant to hook up to the factory stuff and it should work pretty slick. Car needs a motor in it. Slow project lol
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the wiring goes, it depends on your skill level. If your not that handy with wiring, then you can buy a harness and like stated above, 1,2,3 and your done. The stand alone harness will run between 475- 600.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

I am using an aftermarket harness with a 4 wire hook up, fuse relay board, fan and fuel pump relays (about $550) it doesn't get any easier than that, it's clean, all new connectors and gives enough extra length to put the ecm in the car behind the dash, has tech support and comes with a Data link, had ECM reprogrammed so I could get it started and will get dyno tuned. As for the clutch? I converted to Hyd. by using a Fiero M/C, modded the pedal assembly, capped off the this firewall hole for the cable, came out nice.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
Cost wise cheap to expensive :mod your own harness, buy aftermarket, FAST kit. If modding your own, you will have to extend every wire if wanting to mount any place outside engine bay. The truck harness is pretty long for a Fox body. On my Ranger I mounted the PCM on Passenger side where 2.3 Air filter was. Where you mod the harness and put a fuse box in, I extended the power wires to reach the power distribution box. I removed Wires that connected FORDs stuff(injectors, coils,pcm,etc) and connected the ls stuff to them. All my power is tried to the factory FORD wiring. It is very easy with wiring schematics. If you are intimidated by wiring an aftermarket harness is super easy, only 3 wire hookup(12v, keyed hot, and ground). There are other wires that get hooked up depending on options you have(fuel pump, Tach, Speed sensor out, Brake light switch, etc).
I think wiring it myself will be the route I take and I figured out the tranny portion. How do you flash your pcm? did you grab the obd port from the donor vehicle as well? I am just having trouble figuring out where to wire in at. I am assuming it will wire into where the "body control component" currently is correct?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

no input or help?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

no input or help?
There are different ways to go, rewire a stock harness but you need to add things to it as well. it needs a DLC connector (data link) relays for fuel pump and fans and the stock harness needs modification for switched ignition, constant power, tach, MIL light etc. All of this is available through e.g.. BP automotive , they can reflash the ecm, give em a call and ask them, they are a Sponsor on this site.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

thanks for pointing them out. I will def. get in contact with them
Old 10-04-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Scroll through my photobucket, some good info.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

I think wiring it myself will be the route I take and I figured out the tranny portion. How do you flash your pcm? did you grab the obd port from the donor vehicle as well? I am just having trouble figuring out where to wire in at. I am assuming it will wire into where the "body control component" currently is correct?
Yes you will need a OBDII port as you have a EEC IV port. Since a 93 Foxbody has fusible link instead of a fuse box by the starter solenoid, you will need a wiring schematic to find which wires to tie into. Depending on how far you go cleaning up your harness(completely removing EEC IV wiring or just tying into engine harness connector), there are keyed hot wires at the old engine harness connector and 12+ constant at the starter solenoid fusible links or you can put your fuse block and relay on instead. IIRC your fuel pump relay is under your seat. EEC supplies 12v, but GM supplies the ground instead to the fuel pump relay.

Last edited by lsxRanger94; 10-05-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

ok got the wiring and clutch stuff pretty much figured out. next is the throttle cable. do I need to buy a kit from lokar or can I modify the stock one?

Quick Reply: please help foxbody conversion guru's