Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission mount customizing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission mount customizing.

Im doing a lq4, 4l80 swap and I am pretty sure I will have to find a different driveshaft but that is not what im worried about right now, or should I be?

The new transmission is longer then my old one. so I plan on fliping my transmission crossmember around cut off the mounting bracket and reweld it. Not sure how to go about doing this. Was going to hook trans to motor and jack up the trans so every thing tilts up and down on the engion mounts. And when the trans hits the tunnel lower it a little and assume that’s were it will stay. This is my first build so any steps, info, help, pointers will be very helpful. Just want to know what is a good way to line everything up?

thank you

Last edited by takeitapart; 09-19-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure what your installing this into so I'm not familiar with your clearances, but you want to set your driveline at the correct angle and then check/make clearances to the tunnel to get the right angle.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going in to a 76 nova. From what I have read the 4l80 trans should fit in the tunnel but it will be tight. Any more info on how to find these angles, were to measure. I have read some builds but nothing in detail that I can under stand. Not sure how to start or what to check and look for.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

You want to be between 1 and 3 degrees down on the tailshaft and the exact opposite on the rear end. Easiest method is to see what angle your rear pinion is pointing and try to cancel that out at the transmission. Here's a good article on driveline angles.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html..._harmonics.php

Quick Reply: Transmission mount customizing.