Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 C10 Build with LQ4/4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 C10 Build with LQ4/4L60E

Howdy......new here and thought I might as well make a build thread. I had a 65 SWB as a teen that I built and lately I've had the itch to build another truck. I picked this one up about 6 weeks ago with a 454BB in it. Decided to sell the motor/trans combo and upgrade a bit. I'm trying to make this a relative easy-low budget build. I already have a 69 Camaro in the back that is in 1 million pieces! I'm VERY new to the LS world so pardon my dumb questions....

Plans for this truck are:
Daily driver I can take the kids to school in
6.0 LQ4 (mild cam, headers, heads, intake and much later some forced air)
Disks all the way around
PorterBuilt Stage 2
Creature Comforts: AC, power windows, stereo....ect

Old 09-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Excellent build, my in the process of rebuilding my 67 Camaro and putting in a stroked LQ4 and T56 in it but my wife really wants a old truck for herself. I would love to get one and put in a junkyard LQ4/9 and make it a good cruiser but I don't know much about these trucks and putting an LS in them so I look forward to watching your thread.

Rich
Old 09-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Mounting it looks pretty straight forward.....a set of 1" forward plates with new mounts and a new trans crossmember. Where I start getting lost is the intake/head/Tb swap.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hi Chris, I finished a 63 C10 Step Side back in June. The owner drives it every day and the truck gets compliments every time it is parked or at stoplights. The build thread is on another site. Google my name and put C10 after it in your search and it should pop up. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

awesome! Thank you!
Old 09-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Subscribed! I have a 65 and a 66 waiting for an LS after I finish my S10!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Out of curiosity what are your plans for the Cylinder Heads?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm open to suggestions. I've read a lot of people use the L92 heads because of the 68cc chamber and larger valves/flow. If I use those, what intake do I need and what size TB? I refuse to pay $1200 for a FAST intake.

Other people have told me just to mill these 317's .030 to bump up compression to 10:1 and use different springs. I want this build to be a daily driver that I can haul the kids around in....but have some pep when I want to smoke the tires next to the ricer car at the stop light. I'd like 500HP, but I know that will require BIG cam, heads, intake, tune and who knows what else.

Speaking of......what is a practical sized converter for a daily driven street vehicle? I have read about these cams people are running that require a 3500rpm converter.....is that even practical to drive daily? What would be the largest I would want to go because I need to match the cam to it.

Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the Cam/Torque convertor stall speed question your cam supplier can best answer that. I can say that a 3200-3500 stall convertor is just fine for a daily driven vehicle. Anything beyond that and I have no experience.

For the heads, if you are going forced induction down the road you may want to leave them alone and keep the lower compression.

If you want to do a full engine/chassis buildup during the swap then go for it. However if this is your first LS swap you may just be surprised at the power that truck has with just a cam and torque convertor change. Speaking from experience the 63 I built has more than enough power even from a stock motor. It's enough that traction is a problem and I could not imagine having to deal with getting an additional 140+ HP over the stock LS to the ground.

All that said, I'm a pretty conservative guy so please don't take my response the wrong way. For me it's not about being king of the street but more of being able to enjoy a strong performing daily drivable vehicle that is absolutely reliable.

A good example of that is my Jeep. We've been enjoying it for 4 years now and all I've ever done is change the oil and add gas. The motor is bone stock and because the Jeep weighs 1/2 of what the donor truck weighed the power to weight ratio is awesome. You will also see the benefits of power to weight as your truck should be pretty light compared to the portly vehicles of today.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

awesome info. Thanks

Quick Reply: 66 C10 Build with LQ4/4L60E