Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TeamZ LS to Foxbody Swap K Member Users

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default TeamZ LS to Foxbody Swap K Member Users

Please chime in and let me know what transmission you used and if you had any clearance issues.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not use team Z, I went with MM, I am just posting a point for reference. However, my fbody T56 had interference issues between the trans tunnel and the service ears used when mounting the trans for repair. I think many GM T56s must, I don't see how they can't. If you want to measure the engine location relative to the firewall and pinch weld I would be happy to do the comparative measurements.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usdmholden
I did not use team Z, I went with MM, I am just posting a point for reference. However, my fbody T56 had interference issues between the trans tunnel and the service ears used when mounting the trans for repair. I think many GM T56s must, I don't see how they can't. If you want to measure the engine location relative to the firewall and pinch weld I would be happy to do the comparative measurements.
Yeah, that would be a good start. So what did you have to do to get the T56 in yours?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Can you get a measurement from crank centerline to the bottom of the frame rails along with from crank to pinch weld or valley cover to pinch weld?

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 09-23-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure I can get it tonight.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

8 1/2" from top of valley cover to center of pinch weld.

20.0" from firewall directly above the pinch weld to the front machined surface on the block where the timing cover mounts. Centered on engine.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't get good measurement on crank to frame rails.

When valley cover is 88.6 deg the bottom of the flat surface at the top of the k member is 86.5 deg. Therefore angled back at 2.1 degrees. Used digital inclinometer.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Crank center from inside of pass side frame rail is about 14 7/8". About 17 1/8" to inside of drivers frame rail.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Jared. I'll check these in the morning.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, 7 1/8" from pinch weld to valley cover and 22 1/2" from firewall above pinch weld to front machined surface of block. I really don't see going back any more.

From bottom of frame rails to crank centerline is 3/4".

My inclinometer is at PMEL plus the car is on jack stands so I couldn't get the angle. Jk, I do not own an inclinometer but the car is in the air.

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 09-24-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to hammer the firewall behind the pass side head to set my engine back that far. However, the forward position is not really hurting you unless you cannot drop the engine any more due to clearance between the pan and the rack. With the fbody pan or Holley 302-2 the farther back the engine goes the more it can drop in the chassis. The Mast pan is a good alternative also. If you are having trans clearance issue it is probably engine height related.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the engine sitting where it is now, for and aft, the Moroso 21150 pan slides down behind the K member with 1/4" clearance and even with offset rack bushings there is 1 1/2" clearance above the rack.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club

Dont forget you also can use spacers for the k-member to frame. I use about 3/4" spacers which I was able to move the engine back a little more this way and some clearance. they now sell spacers for this, forgot who now.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
Dont forget you also can use spacers for the k-member to frame. I use about 3/4" spacers which I was able to move the engine back a little more this way and some clearance. they now sell spacers for this, forgot who now.
Don't bring that subject up again, we've already gone round and round on that, I am with you on that i used just 3/8's" and it worked perfectly. UPR and Maximum Motorsports but you can make them easily enough.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry 64post, spacers as last resort.

I just noticed the picture above was taken before I put the offset rack bushings in. I still have plenty of clearance there though.

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 09-25-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand the point with the spacers dropping the k member and engine and headers and getting less ground clearance. However, if you drop just the engine without spacers, you also end up with less header and engine ground clearance. The engine clearance isn't really an issue, it's the header clearance that could be a problem. Granted, you won't know if you have header clearance problems until you spend $600 on headers, and then, you already spent the $600. This is pretty much why I began down the path of building my own headers (which is on temporary hold to expedite the project).

From the side view in your pics, it looks like you will hit the oil pan on the k member much sooner than the oil pan will hit the steering rack? Can the problem be solved by swapping pans and moving the engine forward to retain the ground clearance? Granted, then header fitment is affected fore and aft even though the engine remains in the same spot vertically.

I would tell you to notch the pan and weld it, but given the fact that I notched my fbody pan and wrecked it and then bought the 302-2 to replace it, maybe I shouldn't give advice.

Is the Team Z the old design or the new design? They changed it a while back to make everything fit better (or maybe just fit to begin with)?

The other thing is that, 2.3L auto chassis fox cars have a smaller trans tunnel than the T5 cars and the 5.0 auto cars. At least this is true with the aero cars from 87-93. Maybe you should look into which tunnel your car actually has? An 81 Cobra should have been a Canada car and I have no idea what they came with OEM, was it originally a 2.3L turbo? Or what am I missing here?

Based on the pinch weld measurement, your engine is about 1.375" higher than mine, and mine fits but is farther back at the same time (less clearance that way). You appear to have done all the same things I did to mine to get it fit, cut tabs, hammered tunnel. The only difference appears to be engine height?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crank center line. Measuring off the pinch weld is only a guess. Engine angle can move this around. I don't think the engine is as high in the car as you think it is. My pan was above the k member. With the aje it hung down.

Put the tb on it with the air pan and see how it fits the the cowl I know I have pics of that. Should be A better guide.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not concerned about header clearance because they will be custom.

I thought about shortening the pan sump but after I moved engine back and saw it would fit I'm off that now.

K member is the new design.

From the factory the car had a 4.2L V8 with C5 auto and 7.5" rear with 2.26 gear.

Yes, the angle of the engine can affect the pinch weld measurement but I know for a fact that mine isn't tilted fwd.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gray86hatch
crank center line. Measuring off the pinch weld is only a guess. Engine angle can move this around. I don't think the engine is as high in the car as you think it is. My pan was above the k member. With the aje it hung down.

Put the tb on it with the air pan and see how it fits the the cowl i know i have pics of that. Should be a better guide.
The pan will have to be trimmed whenever I get the engine right but this is untouched since you had it Tim.

TeamZ LS to Foxbody Swap K Member Users-img_0245.jpg

TeamZ LS to Foxbody Swap K Member Users-img_1027.jpg
Attached Thumbnails TeamZ LS to Foxbody Swap K Member Users-img_0897-1-.jpg  

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 09-26-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: TeamZ LS to Foxbody Swap K Member Users