Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CJ7 Then 67 chevelle LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJ7 Then 67 chevelle LQ4

Since the original 4.2 in my 83 CJ7 is starting to knock, rap and ping like a marching band these days, I was getting ready to swap in a 350. But then a free 135K Lq4 was dropped in my lap and plans changed. Having never even changed the oil in an LS motor the past couple weeks have been quite a learning experience. I didnt get an ECU or harness with it so from the junkyard I got a harness and ECU for 50 bucks, did alot of reading on here and other sites and learned how to modify it to works as a standalone. A good friend and member here scottywheels hooked me up with an HPTuner and I was able to download a stock 6.0 tune and disable everything I didn't need like VATS, EGR, rear o2's etc and switch to a non electric auto as there will be a TH350 behind it.

So the plan is to put it in the jeep, after finding the remaining parts I need, starter, pulleys bractes etc. Learn to do some of my own tuning and just more about the LS in general as I collect parts to do either a twin or single turbo setup to go in my 67 chevelle (which is still in the body work phase of a frame off).

I am calling it the Junkyard Built bullet
Total build cost to date: 50 Bucks.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I decided to open the motor up before it goes in the jeep to check it out, guess this guy didn't believe in regular oil changes. The guy who pulled this motor said it had top end valvetrain noise. Well between the gummed up lifters (now soaking in diesel) and the 1/8 inch of carbon on the pistons and in the heads tapping together, I'm sure it wasn't quiet.

But After an hour of so of cleaning it all cleaned up nice, can even see the crosshatches in the block still, I didn't do too much with the heads because I am going to tear them apart for new valve-seals and may do new springs depending if I decide to go with a bigger cam now.

Made another trip to the junkyard gathering more missing pieces, and so cleaning supplies build total is now 97 bucks.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice start to your build. I'm finishing up replacing the LM7(5.3) in my CJ7 with LS2. A lot of my parts and info came from Novak(novak-adapt.com). They've got everything you need and a lot of good free info.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Everything was dirt cheap till today. I had the lifters soaking for 3 days trying to disassemble them to clean them, and still couldn't get them apart so they went in the trash, and bought a set of LS7 lifters, along with new trick flow head bolts, a full Fel-Pro gasket set and 2 knock sensors. I have everything cleaned, painted, valves lapped and lifters soaking ready for reassembly tomorrow.

No sealer on LS head bolts other than the orange stuff that comes on them?

The colors I picked are burnt orange metallic for the block and valve covers, (much darker in person) the oil pan, timing cover, water pump and valley cover were all done in stainless steel wheel paint. I have never painted any motor any other color than Chevrolet orange but I figured its a chevy motor going in a jeep that will also have a ford rear end in it, why not do something different

Junkyard Built Bullet total= 531 bucks
Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

I got the motor all back together, with the new lifters, valve seals and all new gaskets. I figured I would make my own mounts for it with scrap steel I had in the garage, I just had to buy a small piece of 1 3/4 DOM tubing and a set of energy suspension polyurethane leaf spring bushings. 25 bucks for both. I have them all tacked together and just need to put some bigger wire in the welder to finish them up. I also began to shave the truck intake down to make it halfway presentable. Also picked up a powerglide and converter from a friend he got tired of looking at in his garage, started to clean that up too.

Last edited by blown67chevelle; 10-11-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Man this is looking great so far.. And this is your first time ever messing with a motor to this extent. Awesome!!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Not my first time with motors, just my first time with any of the LS motors. Lots of old muscle cars before this, all big block and small block stuff, mostly supercharged and nitrous motors, this will be my first attempt at a turbo setup. I actully just took the smallblock I just finished off the engine stand to put the lq4 on it. It will be in the chevelle with a 4 speed till I can gather all the proper money/parts for the turbo setup for the 6.0, even though I could probably sell the 383 to fund the project and be able to do it slot sooner, wheres the fun in that. Besides, thats when I am going to switch, the 6.0 in the chevelle and the blown 383 in the jeep.

Last edited by blown67chevelle; 10-11-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

That is a beautiful machine on that stand!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Made some progress over the weekend, started out haveing a free couple hours to start getting a plan for the transplant, but just ended up pulling the 4.2 straight 6, tranny, transfer case and driveshafts. All for sale as a package very cheap if someone wants them. Proceeded to remove all the extra stuff in the engine bay, and then started on the wiring, when I saw how many splices, burnt and dead ended wires there were, it just all got cut. Good news with that is there is only one 10 gauge wire that needs to be hooked to the back of alternator or battery and it powers the whole jeep and was able to locate constant 12v, switched 12v and keyed 12v for the starter. I lowered the motor in place and temporarily braced it on all four corners till it was perfectly centered and on a 4 degree rear slope. Then used cardboard to make a templates so I knew what angle and how long to cut my homemade mounts. The plates that mount to the frame use the factory holes that are sleeved. Going to pull them back out tomorrow and bring them to my buddies shop to lay another healthy bead on them with his big Miller welder, my 110 Lincoln is good for assembly but not enough penetration for the 3/8 plate. Tomorrow I will put the powerglide in place and build a crossmember for that.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice project.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good, we are about to start a ls1 swap into my dads CJ7 with a th350, What are you going to do for the fuel system? (What pump? what fuel lines?)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, I built the cross-member yesterday, went a little overkill but it was the steel I already had in the garage and when I do end up finding a donor 4x4 tranny I wanted it easily modifiable. Its in there level I just had the left rear tire off making it look all crooked. As for the fuel system that is the part I am at now and think I am going to try using an external in line pump. I was looking at the Airtex E2000 they stock them locally for 85 bucks, use the original feed line from the tank (which is the same size as the pump inlet) add an coarse inline filter before the pump and a fine inline filter after. Then run a new 6an line to the fuel rail 3/8 fitting and then use the leftover 6an line from the 5/16 return fitting on the fuel rail to the 1/4" return line already on the jeep back to the tank, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Last edited by blown67chevelle; 10-22-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

After doing a little more research on the pump I was going to use it turns out it is the 2nd of 2 pumps in a dual pump system, so I ended up just ordering the walboro external everyone else uses. I finished up the filler work on the intake and shot some primer on it, Just have to relocate all the fittings to the rear now then paint it. I think I am going to try that wrinkle finish VHT paint on it and the coil brackets.

Then had to get the balancer on so I could line my other accesories with it, decided it was eaiser just to make my own tool rather then buy one, the old balancer bolt with the head cut off and another 1/2" bolt with the head cutoff 2 washers and I nut.

And I decided not to get the usual mount for the alternator an power steering pump because I dont like how high the alternator ends up, and figured it would be just as easy using the pump and lines I already have just had to do a pulley swap so I made some mounts, nothing fancy some old parts I had in the garage, and a 2 dollar piece of 1/2" pluming pipe from home depot (great stuff for spacers cheap). After I start the motor and verify my 20 dollar junkyard alternator works I will disassemble clean and paint it. just have to figure out a tensioner now, probably hit the junkyard in the morning and see what I can find.

Mounted the PCM, did all my wiring, except for the relays that I thought I had just cant find at the moment. All my fuel system parts should be here this week so with any luck might be ready to test run next weekend.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good keep posting progress
Old 11-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

I have been making steady progress, didnt bother to post the little details because from the more I read on here I feel like I am the last guy to do an LS swap by now. I got the fuel system done with an external Walbro 255 and a 1/4 return, cut up the truck manifolds and bent some 2 1/2 tubing and welded them up to make what my buddy called "junkyard headers"

I finished the intake, the VHT wrinkle finish is cool stuff, this is it with 4 heavy wet coats, then after 4 hours dry time, it actually took 2 full days to fully cure.

After doing a bunch of reading on other Jeep boards the popular fans to swap in are from 99 era Mercury Mystiques. 38 bucks from a local junkyard, added a couple relays and set them to come on single then double if need be. Then ended up using an upper hose from a Silverado as my lower hose just had to cut an inch off each end. And a cut up a universal hose for the top one.

The fans move ALOT of air, the radiator sits about 2 1/2 inches in back of the grill.

I was able to use the existing heater hoses from the jeep with some trimming, fit very well. I had cleaned flushed the radiator after I drained it, its only a year old but still had to clean the heater core, started flushing it with water till it was clear (took about 2 gallons to do so) then tied the hose up above the cowl then poured in the cleaner and a half gallon of boiling water and let it sit for 10 minutes and should be good to go now, this is what I started with.....

But now it runs, Going to add an idler pulley between the alternator and crank pulley to take the slop out of the belt. Then I just have to finish up underneath, I got 2 knock-off Jegs house brand flowmasters and a new dipstick for the powerglide, so I can drop the tranny back out put the converter on and fill it up, I forgot to elongate the holes in the flex-plate for the old converter bolt pattern so I will have to do that still. Then just have to do something for the driveshaft for now, the next move is to swap in an 8.8 from an Explorer.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Well the swap is finished, and it runs and drives great, easily spins the 35's.

But is now for sale, I got a great deal on a 70 Camaro I could not pass up so I am selling the jeep to fund that project, either as a roller and put the 6.0 in the Camaro, or as is and make enough on it to cover the cost of what I need to complete the other LQ9 I have in the garage (harness, ECU, accessories)
I'll start a new thread when that one starts.

So if anyone is in the central Connecticut area and looking for an LQ4 powered CJ7, or a decent rolling chassis all set up for an LS, just let me know.

Quick Reply: CJ7 Then 67 chevelle LQ4