Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 firebird LS1 swap build/progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 firebird LS1 swap build/progress thread

So I have owned this car for abot 7 years, it came with a early 70's chevrolet inline 6 & powerglide transmission which I left in so I could transport the car to the paint shop. It now has a 1998 LS1 & 4L60E from a camaro, I have upgraded the motor to a LS6 cam but no other changes were made. I used Hooker engine mounts and had a customer trans mount made, I am now having issues with the oil pan but a brand new Holley 302-2 OIL pan just arrived over the weekend so that is the goal for this week. I would also really like to install the painless harness & mount the PCM. I have lost interest in this project after dealing with numerous small issues & having other vehicles so I am hoping this thread will help re-engage my interest in the car & hopefully it will see completion this year.

Here are a few pics of the car from when I bought it through the paint & wheel/suspension process. The car has been painted at least 4 years now & has been basically an ornament for my garage. I am ready to hear this thing breath & move under its own power for the first time in many years.

Last edited by maroon88iroc; 09-22-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Current position

Old modified oil pump & pickup tube

New oil pan & pickup kit from Holley part # 302-2

Painless harness & pcm

Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real nice! Did street and Performace mod the FBody pan? They did mine 2 years ago.

Was there issues with it (switching to Holley pan) ?

I love first gen birds...hope to get one someday!

Leon
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by reedld
Real nice! Did street and Performace mod the FBody pan? They did mine 2 years ago.

Was there issues with it (switching to Holley pan) ?

I love first gen birds...hope to get one someday!

Leon
I had a local shop modify the oil pan & I ordered the S&P pickup tube, the pickup tube is hitting the baffle in the middle of the pan, I can cut out the baffle but now that holley released the 302-2 oil pan I just said screw it & ordered that one. I'm just ready for this oil pan nightmare to be behind me. I should have never went through the trouble of having the stock one modified but at the time I started this adventure the only oil pans available were over $600..

I will probably cut the baffle to clear the pickup tube & sell the pan & modified tube. I have almost $400 invested that pan.

Quick Reply: 1969 firebird LS1 swap build/progress thread