Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo lq4 Caprice wagon

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo lq4 Caprice wagon

Hey whats up guys. New to the forum here so i figured it start off with my project so far. its no where near complete and no where near funded but ill get there.

Here is info/pics/plans

The motor is going into a 1995 caprice wagon that has been named WAR WGN due to a police officer calling it that. im aiming for right around 700hp and hopefully a little more tq. its gonna be a t56 car and have 4.11's in 12 bolt out back. for wheels and tires im going with cragar soft 8's in grey and tires havent been decided yet.

Specs:
(purchased)
lq4/9 iron block
lq4 crank
lq4 pistons and rods
Arp main bolts
Arp rod bolts
Arp head bolts
317 heads ported and polished
cam, pushrods, and springs are the next order(custom grind)
stock rockers with comp cams trunion kit
ls7 lifters
slp double roller timing set
qtp long tubes

(to be purchased/determined)
high volume oil pump
gmpp muscle car oil pan
holley hi ram intake with billet fuel rail
fast 65# injectors
92mm throttle body(maybe bigger)
stock computer tuned and standalone harness
18# flywheel
t56 modded to hold 800hp/tq
badass clutch(havent picked on yet)
76mm turbo and accompanying supplies when i can afford it

While i am mechanically inclined and have the knowledge i dont have the experience as this is the first engine ive ever built but what better way is there then to just dive in. i did buy a book though

all stock stuff<br/>crank, flex plate, various covers, rockers, coils and brackets, couple of sensors, long tubes

high rev trunion kit

when the block, heads, and pistons came home

dropped off at machine shop, still there as of 9/23/14

ls7 babbyyy

thanks for checkin out my build. i know i this isnt really impressive but im stoked to be building my own engine and having it be such a badass engine at that.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, looks like it's going to be a cool build! I've always referred to those wagons as "whales" just because they look so bulbous from most angles - good thing that yours already has a nickname!

BTW - what's the rationale for using a HV oil pump?? Is there a particular reason that you feel it's needed?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8Rumble

BTW - what's the rationale for using a HV oil pump?? Is there a particular reason that you feel it's needed?
this is gonna be my daily driver so i really want it to be reliable. granted things break and what not but id really like it to just run as cool as possible and with as little stress on everything during regular driving.

is there a drawback to running a HV pump? or just money i dont need to spend?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save some money and run the stock truck pump if you have it and throttle body too. Did you have the rods resized after the ARP bolts were installed?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chiaj144
Save some money and run the stock truck pump if you have it and throttle body too. Did you have the rods resized after the ARP bolts were installed?
i made the semi-dumb decision to part this thing together and i havent gotten an oil pump or tb yet so i dont have the stock ones but if i can find a deal ill grab em.
And as far as the rods go, i havent gotten my parts back from the machine shop because im 20 and still a college student so i told him as long as hes done before christmas ill be happy. The shop is gonna install the arp bolts and check everything for clearances. everything ive read online says to get them resized and arp recommends it but i havent read anyone who has actually done it. we'll see what i end up doing in a couple of months.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

gmpp muscle car oil pan

Get rid of this from your list...sump hangs way to low for what your gonna' do.

Do a little research...don't let the price lure you into this thing...tons of guys have fallen prey to this pan.

I have NEVER seen a car application where there wasn't a better choice than this...probably work OK for a truck...

Your gonna' want all the ground clearance you can get, I would look into an F-body or Holley pan.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...wagons kick ***...yours is gonna' be sick...
Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Three thumbs up. This is going to be cool.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Get rid of this from your list...sump hangs way to low for what your gonna' do.

Do a little research...don't let the price lure you into this thing...tons of guys have fallen prey to this pan.
This is kinda why I joined the forum. Im only 20 so I clearly don't know as much add everyone. But I'll pick up a f body pan or a cts-v pan if I can get a a decent deal. Thanks.
And thanks fur the compliments guys
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

excellent choice of bodystyle, was Steve Morris' caprice an influence? good luck with the build
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Haha. I had forgot about that car to be honest. The want to do this car came from the fact that I got it for 1800 as a play around car and I ended up loving it except the motor so why not make a super sleeper out of it
Old 09-24-2014, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

FYI the holly oil pan fits real nice in a B body...just be aware if where your gonna put the motor (height and what not) cause there are more than a few guys who have em hanging under the crossmember, ya dont want that obviously...Glad to see another wagon being used. You making a drag car? A street cruiser, or just something stupid fast to F around with, haha. Guess im askin, keepin the interior and A/C? Very cool

The Olds wagon I swapped is known as the battle wagon
Old 09-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by autocomman
FYI the holly oil pan fits real nice in a B body...just be aware if where your gonna put the motor (height and what not) cause there are more than a few guys who have em hanging under the crossmember, ya dont want that obviously...Glad to see another wagon being used. You making a drag car? A street cruiser, or just something stupid fast to F around with, haha. Guess im askin, keepin the interior and A/C? Very cool

The Olds wagon I swapped is known as the battle wagon
going down the list.
I havent picked a pan yet. we'll see whats available locally and cheap. holley wasnt really on my radar but i like to consider every option.
i havent found any mounts i like yet. i might fab my own. there are a couple conversion kits but i havent heard anything yet.and im planning on a fair amount of low without bags so hanging down would be no bueno.
as far as purpose, the car will never have slicks on it, drag radials maybe, but its not a drag car. im not saying it wont see track time but prolly not a whole lot. i like doing highway rolls with friend and im tired of losing so i guess its mainly to just F with people.
My interior is old and smells so im gonna re do the interior with offroad racing seats with a custom center console for the t56, new carpet, either a roll bar or a half cage, harnesses, and a/c of course.

and if i dont get battle wagon, i get swagger wagon. thats why i like the name, its different.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Love it. Most people don't understand the badassness of owning a swapped wagon. I can carry 7 people to the track, run all night, then drive home. Or take the Volvo to Home Depot when I need a bunch of 10ft lumber.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onetype
Love it. Most people don't understand the badassness of owning a swapped wagon. I can carry 7 people to the track, run all night, then drive home. Or take the Volvo to Home Depot when I need a bunch of 10ft lumber.
my friend group loves old volvos mainly for their weirdness and the fact that all the old ones have factory limited slips. one of my friends has a 5.0 ford swapped volvo wagon he got for 500 bucks from alaska. wagons are just the best and ls is best-est
Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onetype
Or take the Volvo to Home Depot when I need a bunch of 10ft lumber.
(Not trying to highjack)

I've got my LS 72 A-body wagon finished now and want to do another wagon...do you have a build thread for your Volvo...???
Old 09-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Use an fbody oil pan and kds performance mounts. 80lb injectors should get the job done. take a look at this list.https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...2-13-13-a.html http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet....php?t=1238113

Last edited by greenturtle05; 09-28-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greenturtle05
Use an fbody oil pan and kds performance mounts. 80lb injectors should get the job done. take a look at this list.https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...2-13-13-a.html http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet....php?t=1238113
you just saved me. ive been looking for these mounts but i couldnt remember the company! and fbody seems to be the best choice. and are you saying i should run 80lb injectors? seems like a lot
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Thats what most people run, and it leaves a little room to grow. They may be cheaper than the fast ones also I'm not sure. I'm gathering parts to do this same swap in a 95 impala as with an lq9.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Teching In

the thing is its gonna take me a while to afford the turbo. i plan on running the motor built for turbo without the turbo for about a year to work the bugs out and get the engine perfect and broken in and then buy turbo. so 80lb injectors might be a bit much for the first year. or maybe not. i dont know. hopefully you or someone on here can tell me a well informed opinion

Quick Reply: turbo lq4 Caprice wagon