Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L in 1965 Chevy II

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3L in 1965 Chevy II

I'm currently in the process of putting a 5.3L, 4L60E into my 1965 Chevy II, I have two questions so far:

1. The harness that I have comes from a 2004 Chevy Suburban which has FLEX Fuel Injector Connectors, I put an LS1 Intake Manifold on the engine; do anyone know if there are adapters that i can put on the injectors to accept the flex fuel plugs or do I have to change the injector connectors on the harness?

2. I'm converting the harness and have everything pretty much disconnected, wires that need to be soldered taken care of, the only thing that I have left are the grounds (i.e. maf, transmission, injectors etc), there were junction that connected the grounds on the harness, my question is i've seen in videos where they made one common ground wire; does this mean that they connected all of the ground together (from the grounded sensors and the ground wires that go to the pcm to one wire?)

I hope that I'm not to cofusing and all advice help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

1. Adapters are available. Since you are already into modding the harness, put EV1 connectors on and be done.

2.You could make all grounds into one common wire, but the size of the one wire will be pretty big depending on the number of circuits going to it. GM put 3 grounds on engine harness for packaging and cost reasons(Larger copper wire costs more).
Old 09-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Teching In

On the ground bundle I have the following wires:

These hook to the PCM, can I make one ground with these?
R1 PCM Ground
R40 PCM Ground
B1 PCM Ground
B40 PCM Ground

i have the following sensors on the ground bundle, can I bundle these together to make one ground?
MAF Ground
PRND Ground
Ignition Ground
Injectors Ground
Sensor Bank 1 Ground
Sensor Bank 2 Ground
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Technically yes to both. Total the amp draw for each circuit tied together then use to correct AWG wire for your single ground for the circuit. So if each of the PCM circuits were 15A a piece(60 amp total) then you would need a 4 awg wire for ground(this is an example, but you get the idea).
Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Normally how much amps are drawn to consider the cable size? I think I have this problem I did my wiring using lt1 swap method and have power but drops when cranking, I was told that I'm missing some grounds but don't know where

Quick Reply: 5.3L in 1965 Chevy II