Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering ?

I have an ls-1 in my 51 Chevy five window pickup. The power steering pump is brand new. The issue is it is whining every time i turn the wheel, I called myself getting the air out by turning it lock to lock. Is there any cure or reason for this?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of pump (f-body, vette, GTO, etc)? What kind of steering (rack, box, etc)? I'm guessing there is a difference in operating pressures between these two items.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
What kind of pump (f-body, vette, GTO, etc)? What kind of steering (rack, box, etc)? I'm guessing there is a difference in operating pressures between these two items.
Didn't know there was such a thing. The pump is a regular gm pump that went with the (Tahoe motor) , and the rack is from a ford. I did not know that there were different pressure for each pumps and or racks??
Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Also check where you are returning fluid to the pump. Mine was very loud and eventually boiled over because I returned the fluid to the upper return, but as soon as I changed it to the lower return everything was great. I think the upper return was for vehicles that had hydraboost.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 51 chevy
Didn't know there was such a thing. The pump is a regular gm pump that went with the (Tahoe motor) , and the rack is from a ford. I did not know that there were different pressure for each pumps and or racks??
The pump is paired with the rack that came with the vehicle it came out of. In your case, it would be the Tahoe. The high pressure side of the pump for a newer PS system can be in the neighborhood of 1600 to 1800 PSI. Some older systems can take it (like the steering box on my car - which is made for between 700 to 900 PSI) the steering just gets real light and twitchy. Others can't and eventually start leaking. So people buy pressure lowering kits or special low pressure pumps.

Ford racks are very popular, and I believe pressure lowering kits for LS-style pumps are common. Barring any other issues like kinked or constricted lines, I'd do a little research around PS pump pressure kits, and run with one that is appropriate for your rack. I don't think they are that expensive.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
The pump is paired with the rack that came with the vehicle it came out of. In your case, it would be the Tahoe. The high pressure side of the pump for a newer PS system can be in the neighborhood of 1600 to 1800 PSI. Some older systems can take it (like the steering box on my car - which is made for between 700 to 900 PSI) the steering just gets real light and twitchy. Others can't and eventually start leaking. So people buy pressure lowering kits or special low pressure pumps.

Ford racks are very popular, and I believe pressure lowering kits for LS-style pumps are common. Barring any other issues like kinked or constricted lines, I'd do a little research around PS pump pressure kits, and run with one that is appropriate for your rack. I don't think they are that expensive.
Thanks for all the info. The rack was purchased in conjunction with the mustang II front end, I think they said it comes from 88 Thunderbird or something?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you need to reduce the pressure...
GM pump puts out about 1300 psi, ford rack is looking for 900-1000 ish

Borgeson makes a kit with some shims and a special tool to use in the process..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/899001/10002/-1

Quick Reply: Power steering ?