Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 to LM7 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 to LM7 swap

Howdy folks. It's been a while since I've been here. I recently picked up a 96 z/28 camaro. I've done several of these in the past and wanted to try something different. I have a 2001 tahoe that the trans just went out for the 2nd time. The truck has 230K on it. I'm seriously debating pulling the motor, freshening it up, doing a mild top end and putting it in the camaro. I've read several write ups and I know there will be parts swapping needed to make it work. Since my trans is toast and it was 4x4 I know I'll need one. I want to start getting everything I need while the motor is being rebuilt. What exactly will I need? Can I use the wiring harness and pcm from my truck? I've heard I need an LS1 steering rack. I'd like to run long tube headers. What should I be looking for? Any known clearance issues? I'm sure more than a few people have done this swap. Also I'll be more than happy to take transmission recommendations. The car is an auto and the trans is in good shape but I'm sure for some reason it won't be compatible. I'm ready to get my hands dirty!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I think the camaro transmission can be made to work. If it has PWM cast into the case near the input shaft it can definitely be made to work by using the flexplate/ crank adapter used on the early 6.0's
Old 09-27-2014, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

You will also need a 98 and up Ls1 Camaro k member. Camaro front end accessories, and Ls1/Ls6 intake. It will be way easier to go with a 99+ Ls1 Camaro wiring harness and modify it. I am slowly in the middle of a swap myself. I am putting a Lq4/t56 in a 93 Camaro.

Quick Reply: LT1 to LM7 swap