Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions about a cheap (for now) ls foxbody swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions about a cheap (for now) ls foxbody swap

Hello everybody. I've been on here for awhile now and have been reading endlessly, but I am still slightly confused about a few things and would greatly appreciate some input. I recently had to sell my beloved 2004 GTO, and I am craving ls power again.

The car: 1984 foxbody, 8.8 swapped, 6pt CM cage, full interior. I am a Chevy guy (that's why its getting an ls engine), but I needed a new project and this was there for a good price. I already installed an AJE kmember and ls mounts, flaming river manual rack and steering shaft. I already have a good idea of my fuel system, radiator, and engine management.

I currently have an 2001 LM7. I really just want to drop it in and get the car running, then go back a little bit later to upgrade stuff as funds allow.

Questions:
1. Do the stock truck exhaust manifolds fit at all? Need trimming/grinding? Do I need CTSv, 5th gen camaro or something else? If CTSV, I assume the first gen, not the LSA? Not really looking for aftermarket headers quite yet.

2. I want to keep the stock hood, so the truck intake has to go in favor of a ls1/ls6. I would like to keep the truck waterpump for now, and I have read the water neck can be massaged, and/or the throttle body has to be ground down, are there any pics or links of this?

3. This was originally an AOD car, I have read conflicting information about GM transmissions being able to fit. With a 4l60E for the time being, should I have to worry about the trans tunnel needing to be altered at all?

4. When everybody does these swaps, what is done about the gas tank vent line? I would like to keep it close to NHRA legal, so I would like to not just vent it to atmosphere, but the charcoal box was long removed before I got the car.

I know this info has to be on this forum somewhere, sorry for asking such simple questions and thanks for any help in my quest to get another ford turned into an acceptable vehicle!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1 - Truck manifolds don't fit, at all. 5th gen camaro manifolds fit for those of us using AJE k-members.

2 - There are a few options, a search will turn them up.

3 - You may need to bring out the BFH for clearance around the harness connector. I jammed a 4L80e in mine, a 60e should be simple.

4 - ?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boostnut, thanks for the reply, it gives me an idea of what I still need.

Anybody have any thoughts about the gas tank vent? Does everybody just vent it to atmosphere? After all of the build threads I have read I did not see any mention of it.

Quick Reply: Some questions about a cheap (for now) ls foxbody swap