Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can I crank without pass key or use of the bcm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I crank without pass key or use of the bcm?

From what I understand about my setup, all that's needed is a battery and a switch for the starter to crank and run my l92 since its a stand alone once and harness. Can my starter be wired to the factory ignition switch to be turned over without the use of the passkey security stuff. I've dealt with some problems that come with PK, but this is a new one. My security light isn't coming on at all when I turn the key the run position. There's no chime or interior lights(dome lights).
I do hear the fuel pump prime since its controlled by the new pcm, but the starter will not spin over to crank it. Before all of this I had some mornings that the chime and dome lights would flicker for a few seconds before I started the car. Kinda similar to this... 2012 03 20 10 58 09 836:

Now it's like this minus the chime or flickering lights.

Kenny guido firebird:

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

IIRC pass key has 2 white wire off of ignition cylinder (that measure resistance of the key) that run to the bcm and then bcm supplies ground to theft deterrent relay. Once the relay makes it send power to the starter solenoid. So yes you could bypass it. However, since your lights flicker too, check your battery terminals. I assume you have tested your starter either by removing it and having it tested or jumped the solenoid. I would check the simple things first before jumping into rewiring the ignition switch.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

I agree with lsxRanger94, start with the simple things before jumping to wiring.

However if you decide it is in the wiring you have two options. clip the two wires from the ignition and solder in a resistor that matches the resistance of your key. This basically tricks the BCM into thinking any key has the right security. Or you can have a tuner disable VATS(Vehicle Anti-Theft System) in the ECM. Killing VATS is the more common solution from what I have seen.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

I'm not for sure if vats is communicating with the ecm. The ecm is a standalone. It doesn't normally belong in the car. And I don't think it has VATs. The connections on the ecm's wire harness all plug directly into the engine. It has its on set of fuses integrated into the harness also. So I'm guessing, since the fuel pump primes when I turn the ignition switch, the engine is ready to fire. The starter just will not respond. I haven't tested the starter and I will next time. Still kinda stuck on this security light issue. I guess the bulb could be blown but what else does no security light indicate?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

If you aren't getting the starter to turn it is most likely not VATS. Typically when VATS is still enabled the fuel pump will prime and the motor will start for about 2-5 sec. and shut off.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

You actually have a theft deterrent module separate from the PCM on that vehicle. VATS is on the newer PCM. So technically you have 2 anti theft devices on the vehicle now. Vats kills injectors if not disabled in the PCM(stand alone portion). Anti theft module kills starter on the vehicle(original anti theft to the vehicle). Typically if security light goes out the key portion of the original anti theft is reading the resistance correctly and anti theft module should make and send 12v to starter solenoid. Since the light never comes on, either the bulb is burned out or the BCM does not know the key has been turned. Possible things, Bad ignition switch or less than 12v to it, BCM module has no power or ground, or bad theft deterrent module

Last edited by lsxRanger94; 10-07-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
You actually have a theft deterrent module separate from the PCM on that vehicle. VATS is on the newer PCM. So technically you have 2 anti theft devices on the vehicle now. Vats kills injectors if not disabled in the PCM(stand alone portion). Anti theft module kills starter on the vehicle(original anti theft to the vehicle). Typically if security light goes out the key portion of the original anti theft is reading the resistance correctly and anti theft module should make and send 12v to starter solenoid. Since the light never comes on, either the bulb is burned out or the BCM does not know the key has been turned. Possible things, Bad ignition switch or less than 12v to it, BCM module has no power or ground, or bad theft deterrent module
Ok, I was thinking ignition switch was where I needed to start. Something I noticed while the car was running correctly was that I could pull the key out while driving down the road. Also, is the theft detterent module something thats soldered on the bcm board or is it located somewhere else? Thanx for the help. I'll check into that and post my findings this weekend.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

Theft deterrent module should be located behind glovebox iirc. If you can pull the key while driving, that's the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder has 2 wires attached that read the key's resistance chip. If those wires are broken, the car won't start. That's where reading the keys chip with a ohm meter and soldering in a resistor come in. Ignition switch is located on steering column under the dash.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

If you change your lock cylinder, It will come with 2 keys without a chip. These are used to cut a new key w/resistor matching original key resistor chip. If you buy it from the dealer, which is more expensive, but they will rekey lock cylinder to old key provided your old key is not worn out. Which probably is due to age. The advantage of the dealership is they will update you vehicle file with GM incase you need a new key. they will have the code for it. So if you lose it they will cut you a new one with proof of ownership of the vehicle.

have you tried a second set of keys to start the vehicle?

Also check neutral safety switch.

Last edited by lsxRanger94; 10-08-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

I have been out troubleshooting all afternoon. I am pretty sure the the wires reading key's resistance are in tact. I read the resistance below the steering column where the 2 wires go into a connector. (2 white wires) also, I read 12v on the orange wire going into the bcm. I replaced the theft deterent relay. And the battery has been charging all afternoon. Still no security light. No interior (dome) lights, no chime, and no starter engage. Also found that the trunk button behind the glove box door doesn't work. STUMPED!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

94 should be the same.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Look at the upper right side of the diagram I just posted.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Look at the upper right side of the diagram I just posted.
Is this the starter relay? (Theft deterrent relay?)
Attached Thumbnails can I crank without pass key or use of the bcm?-sketch131145259.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

No dome light? That's not hooked to the theft deterrent system. You have another wiring issue.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garys 68
No dome light? That's not hooked to the theft deterrent system. You have another wiring issue.
Oh... I thought the interior lights were wired into the bcm some how. And the video above kinda made me think the same when the chime and the lights blinked together.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Also, I'm wondering if the 96 is in fact the same as 94-95. My haynes manual shows that 94-95 has a theft deterrent module but 96 doesnt, or its inside the bcm or something like that.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Dome light comes on when you open the door, no key, resistor, bcm, etc required. At least mine did.

Originally Posted by djloc79
Oh... I thought the interior lights were wired into the bcm some how. And the video above kinda made me think the same when the chime and the lights blinked together.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

94 should be the same.
Theft Deterrent Relay Wire Label and Designation

Yellow-?
Brown-?
Purple - starter (I think)
Yel/Blk- ?

This would be helpful to know if anybody knows. Thanx for any input given!!
Attached Thumbnails can I crank without pass key or use of the bcm?-sketch13116214.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Upper right of the diagram show the courtesy lamp fuse powers the theft deterrent module too. With no power to it car won't start and no dome light or security light.

Quick Reply: can I crank without pass key or use of the bcm?