Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 Chevy Impala Wagon LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Interesting dilemma. I may be in a similar situation when I do my AC.
the company that sells the blower drive does sell a high mount ac bracket that works, but I like the way the holley bracket replicates the original look. If all else fails I'll have to use theirs and hopefully the ZL1 engine cover hides it all
Old 01-17-2017, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Had the day off so I went out to the garage to figure out my issue. Local hardware store only sells 1/4 aluminum, so I bought the only size they had, 1" wide by 8' long lol. Cut two 6" pieces and stacked them on top of eachother and drilled some holes. Used socket head cap screws for a nice "professional" look. However need to counterbore one screw due to the tensioner hitting it, so for this trial run I drilled an inch hole through the top layer on that bolt so it will sit 1/4" in.

Also after 3 trips to the parts store and 8 belts later, I found one that will work and looks like its carried at every parts store I can find. It's a little tight, so I'm going to experiment with a more loose fitting belt with a larger idler pulley to get the tensioner between the two marks built into it.

Picture without the tensioner, showing the bracket in place along with the new idler

And there it is, new belt routing

Both belts installed
Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice result.

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
the company that sells the blower drive does sell a high mount ac bracket that works, but I like the way the holley bracket replicates the original look. If all else fails I'll have to use theirs and hopefully the ZL1 engine cover hides it all

Well, I didn't buy the bracket for my car. I made my own supercharger tensioner setup and the result is similar. I haven't tried to mount the AC yet because I haven't purchased the Vintage Air kit.

One of the winter tasks is trying to figure out what I want to do for a heat exchanger and how it's going to line up in the front of the car. I have a Flea Bay heat exchanger that works well, but it is about 2 inches thick and I still need an AC condenser. With this hoss I'm out of room so I'm looking for something thinner. If I could find something in the 1" range I could stack them OEM style but I haven't seen anything. I'm almost to the point of trying to find a factory import radiator and making my own tanks...
Old 01-17-2017, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Nice result.

Well, I didn't buy the bracket for my car. I made my own supercharger tensioner setup and the result is similar. I haven't tried to mount the AC yet because I haven't purchased the Vintage Air kit.

One of the winter tasks is trying to figure out what I want to do for a heat exchanger and how it's going to line up in the front of the car. I have a Flea Bay heat exchanger that works well, but it is about 2 inches thick and I still need an AC condenser. With this hoss I'm out of room so I'm looking for something thinner. If I could find something in the 1" range I could stack them OEM style but I haven't seen anything. I'm almost to the point of trying to find a factory import radiator and making my own tanks...
I found this one today, I'm not 100% sure on what route I will go with this yet. Really want something that doesn't stand out and that comes in a black finish, or an aluminum one with black tanks like the OEM ZL1 has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Fo...-/222156515919
Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
I found this one today, I'm not 100% sure on what route I will go with this yet. Really want something that doesn't stand out and that comes in a black finish, or an aluminum one with black tanks like the OEM ZL1 has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Fo...-/222156515919
The one you listed looks nice, but it is still 2" thick which poses my biggest hurdle. I really need a taller core that is 1" thick so I can use the other inch for the AC.

Whatever I do is getting painted black for the same reason.

For some reason I have it in my head the OEM ZL1 unit is on a 1" core, but now I'm starting to wonder since I can't find anything else built that way. All the aftermarket versions are on 2" cores and priced outside my budget for something I'll probably need to modify.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...tercooler-scat

I think i may try the ZL1 hx. All the aftermarket options are crazy money. It appears its either 1 or 1.5" thick however the tanks appear twice as thick as the core. I may even get all of the hoses and pump from that diagram. Theres a guy on the cts forum that can drill out the intercooler brick fittings and weld in an fittings for a better fit for swaps, but he charges the $100 that i could buy the hoses for.

Heres a pic i found of an aftermarket compared to the factory one

Not sure your plans but im going to just use solid isolator and stock sized pulleys so i dont think ill need anything fancy.

I also found the cts-v one, but the catalog listed it at over $500 so that one is ruled out

Quick Reply: 1966 Chevy Impala Wagon LS1