Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec 6.0 TB swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortec 6.0 TB swap

On another forum, I asked if anyone had experience with the Torque Rush X-link. I got the following reply:

"That would be a good option if no other tuning is planned. Otherwise, the harness can be converted to a six pin and the PCM programmed during set up all at the same time."

Is a harness modification and PCM programming an option? If so, what would be the pinout of the 6 pin connector for a 90mm gold blade tb. What happens to the two wires that are eliminated?

My engine is from a 2006 Sierra 2500.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Is the harness mod and pcm programming a viable alternative to X-link?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

I can't speak about the programming but the x-link/ls3 throttle body was a problem I ran into. I kept getting throttle position errors.

My tuner couldn't even get it to work properly.

I ended up selling the ls3 and bought a new ls2 throttle body and haven't had a single issue. I know there are other users who experienced the same problems, unfortunately I didn't research that before buying the ls3 tb.

Hell I didn't even know all the different variations in generations of LS's when I started my swap.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:49 AM
Teching In

What version of X-link did you have? They are on version 4 now.

I don't know anything about the LS2 tb. Is that the one that's referred to as a silver blade? Is it a 6 pin tb also?
Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the extra 2 wires are a 5volt +, and signal ground. which are not needed.
you can run the 8 wire t/b, or the 6 wire t/b. on some t/b's the setup may be different. You can run the 8 wire on the 6 wire system by splicing an extra wire to the 5v, and the signal ground
Old 10-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went thru all this. It won't work just by changing the pins on a 06 and newer. HP tuners had nothing on this swap at the time. There may have beed some changes but I have not herd of any.The difference is the 05 and back work on a tac module. The 06 and newer uses the pcm and no tac module. They will not interchange. I used a 06 tbss tb on a 04 system and tried everything possible to get it to work along with the tuner. Never did. I did get the x-link from my tuner and installed it and it works perfect.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Teching In

I've got a 2006 Sierra LQ4 that has a TAC module. The 2007 + does not have the TAC, at least according to Rockauto.

So, Homemade, your saying the only way to use 90mm tb on the LQ4 is to use the Torque Rush X-link?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At this time I believe that is the only way to get it to work. I tried everything (repined) and did a bunch of research and talked to several on forums with no one knowing anyway to make it work. I also sent a email to hp tuners and they said they had no solution. X-link was my only solution to get it to work. It has worked flawless .

Also, I think if it is a 8 pin it has a tack module and a 6 pin does not. Not sure if all is like this but the ones I have seen has been this way in the mid to late 2000's.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

My xlink is the latest version. Apparently it's a known issue with the ls3 gold throttle bodies. Their website read it was compatible and it would run and control the throttle. But on the dyno above 3000rpm we got a throttle body/throttle position correlation error.

I did some googling and read some other people's issues and found the easiest solution would be to go to the ls2 (same connector but silver blade).

I probably could have sent the x link back but it was quicker to just buy a tb locally.

Quick Reply: Vortec 6.0 TB swap