Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSA from CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default LSA from CTS-V

Is it possible to rework the stock harness and retain the fuel pump controller etc? Can the ECU be programmed with basic standalone settings to delete VATS etc? Speartech uses new injectors, new ECU etc for their LSA swap harness and they will not rework LSA harnesses. They also do not use the stock fuel pump and controller.

Don
Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by dhutton
Is it possible to rework the stock harness and retain the fuel pump controller etc? Can the ECU be programmed with basic standalone settings to delete VATS etc? Speartech uses new injectors, new ECU etc for their LSA swap harness and they will not rework LSA harnesses. They also do not use the stock fuel pump and controller.

Don
Don,

I don't have answers to your questions, but GM does offer a standalone LSA harness and ECU package.

Andrew
Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Don,

I don't have answers to your questions, but GM does offer a standalone LSA harness and ECU package.

Andrew
Yes they do but it has some off the wall fuel pressure requirements that are not easily met. 65 psi at idle. 85 psi max with boost reference. Coming up with a fuel system like this is not trivial, hence my thinking to somehow use the stock CTS-V fuel controller and fuel pump. It also does not allow the use of the 6L90e transmission so lots of compromises there.

The harness and ECU come "free" with a used package. I am trying to see if they can be used to reproduce the stock control systems.

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

LSA idle fuel pressure is 58, just like all other LS engines:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...e-19260164.pdf

See page 2.

But you're right, a take out harness is free and if it can be reworked, then that's the way to go.

Andrew
Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

LSA idle fuel pressure is 58, just like all other LS engines:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...e-19260164.pdf

See page 2.

But you're right, a take out harness is free and if it can be reworked, then that's the way to go.

Andrew
There seems to be a lot of confusion out there. Check out this part number which is the actual controller: 19259293. Requirements are as I stated. I guess I could try calling them but I am not too hopeful on that.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...d-19259293.pdf

Thanks,
Don

Last edited by dhutton; 10-13-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Got the GM tech line number from Pace and called them. The requirement is as i quoted, 65 to 85 boost referenced. Tough to do....

He said the data sheet you have is out of date.

Don
Old 10-13-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

They don't exactly flood you with info there.
Stupid question....
If an LSA puts out 9-10 psi and a vacuum reading of 18" of Hg = about 9 psi below atmospheric pressure. Couldn't you just use an efi boost/vacuum referenced regulator set at 65 at idle and let it increase fuel pressure abot 19-20 psi to about 85psi at WOT (10psi boost)?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Heres what I used on my LSA conversion.........Not a single issue

http://www.vaporworx.com/

Ken
Old 10-13-2014, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garys 68
They don't exactly flood you with info there.
Stupid question....
If an LSA puts out 9-10 psi and a vacuum reading of 18" of Hg = about 9 psi below atmospheric pressure. Couldn't you just use an efi boost/vacuum referenced regulator set at 65 at idle and let it increase fuel pressure abot 19-20 psi to about 85psi at WOT (10psi boost)?
That is what I was considering. Trouble is I don't want to have the pump heating up the fuel since it will need to be something like a Walbro 400. I have heard they do not last long with any kind of PCM control.

Other issue is I wanted to run a Vapor Works tank and he has already told me that he does not have a solution for those requirements.

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-13-2014, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Heres what I used on my LSA conversion.........Not a single issue

http://www.vaporworx.com/

Ken
Thanks Ken. Did you swap out the injectors? Were you using an LSA crate or a used setup? What controller are you using, the GM Performance or something like the Speartech? What fuel pressure are you running? Carl told me he did not have a solution for the requirements listed on the controller instructions.

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a tuning guru, but what the heck difference does the fuel pressure make when you can size the injectors accordingly? If you have a big enough injector that will correctly atomize fuel, you could run 20 PSI normally aspirated with boost reference raising FP incrementally...
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

The goal here is to avoid changing the injectors. Yes, I could change them but that is not my goal. I want to run it as is. No tuning etc needed then.

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dhutton
Got the GM tech line number from Pace and called them. The requirement is as i quoted, 65 to 85 boost referenced. Tough to do....

He said the data sheet you have is out of date.

Don
I pulled that data sheet right off the GM Performance website. Sounds like they need to get their story straight...LOL

Andrew
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

What chassis is this going into? Why the need for a stock style computer/harness?

Considering Walbro 450lph pumps are used in high HP Nissan GTRs making 1200awhp+ why wouldn't they work on your car?

The GTRs actually have an issue with the fuel vapor locking so a factory Porsche fuel cooler (tapped into the a/c) is made to work and solves that problem.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

I pulled that data sheet right off the GM Performance website. Sounds like they need to get their story straight...LOL

Andrew
As near as I can tell the LSA used in the CTS-V and ZL1 have moved to the higher pressure fuel systems within the last year or two. The LSA crate engines followed right along. The new LSA crate needs the higher fuel pressure with the injectors it ships with.

Don
Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gnx7
What chassis is this going into? Why the need for a stock style computer/harness?

Considering Walbro 450lph pumps are used in high HP Nissan GTRs making 1200awhp+ why wouldn't they work on your car?

The GTRs actually have an issue with the fuel vapor locking so a factory Porsche fuel cooler (tapped into the a/c) is made to work and solves that problem.
It is going into a 69 Camaro. The stock computer and harness come "free" with the used engine and they would allow me to deliver the necessary fuel pressure with a properly engineered fuel pressure controller. I also want to run the Vapor Works tank which would take the stock CTS-V pump.

The Walbro pump will work as I stated above but a PWM controller is not readily available and I have heard they do not last long when used with PWM controller. Without PWM control I have concerns about fuel heating when sitting in traffic etc. The Porsche fuel cooler sounds intriguing but probably beyond my limited technical abilities... :>)

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don......I have stock injectors in my car. The engine came out of a totaled (roll over) ZL1 camaro. I have the stock ZL1 pump in a Ricks Vaporworx tank with Carls control system Works perfectly with all the stock parts

Ken
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Don......I have stock injectors in my car. The engine came out of a totaled (roll over) ZL1 camaro. I have the stock ZL1 pump in a Ricks Vaporworx tank with Carls control system Works perfectly with all the stock parts

Ken
Thanks Ken.

Don
Old 10-16-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Vaporworx system is so easy to install is ridiculous...........Sensor in the fuel line at the tank and a module mounted near the Battery...........Sensor talks to the module and the module sends voltage to the pump to keep the pressure right where its set to be............Sensor, Module and a few wires Problem gone....

Ken
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

The Vaporworx system is so easy to install is ridiculous...........Sensor in the fuel line at the tank and a module mounted near the Battery...........Sensor talks to the module and the module sends voltage to the pump to keep the pressure right where its set to be............Sensor, Module and a few wires Problem gone....

Ken
Carl has already confirmed that his system cannot support the requirements of the stock LSA controller. I read your thread and it seems that you had extensive dyno tuning done. I suspect part of this tuning was to compensate the difference between the fixed Vaporworks 60 psi versus the stock LSA tune boost referenced 65/87 psi. My goal is to avoid tuning and to use the stock controller as programmed.

I agree, the Vaporworks is a great product. It just can't support the specified LSA requirements without extensive tuning. This is also the reason that Spearworks supplies new injectors with their LSA setup, to allow fixed pressure without boost referencing. It would be interesting to see the duty cycle of the injectors in your tune at WOT Ken.

Thanks,
Don

Quick Reply: LSA from CTS-V