Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One cylinder not firing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One cylinder not firing

Like the title says, I have one cylinder that isn't firing. Engine is an lq4, with factory harness in an 82 stepside. When I changed headers I noticed my #3 cylinder's spark plug was black(carbon), but all others were light tan/white. The primary tube on that cylinder was also not getting hot on #3, so I swapped the coil with #1, and #1 was still heating up/working. I swapped the plug wires with #1 and #1 was still heating up/working, then I replaced the #3 sparkplug with a new properly gapped one and #3 still doesn't fire. I checked the pink wire to #3 coil and it had 12v, I was thinking of hooking up an inductive timing light to see if it's making a spark, but I'm out of ideas after that. How do I check the signal going to the coil to see if there is a wiring issue or something else?
Old 10-21-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old school would be to pull the plug, hook it to the lead and lay it across the header then have some turn the motor over. Pull the fuse to your fuel pump first. You should be able to see a spark. Good luck.

Quick Reply: One cylinder not firing