Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rag joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rag joint replacement

I am upgrading my manual steer 65 Chevelle to power steering. While doing so I obviously had to remove the old rag joint. It looked pretty beat up, and I was just going to replace it with a new one. However, when I was looking for one to replace it I noticed a things that suggested people were eliminating them all together.

I have to admit it does look like a weak link. What would I need to buy in order to replace the rag joint on a 65 Chevelle?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many will use Borgeson Joints. You can research it be searching it. Not sure what size you need.

Here is some links
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2
http://www.performanceonline.com/Nee...ing-Shaft-Kit/
http://www.performanceonline.com/Cou...-Joints-c-860/

I have had no problems with using a new Rag Joints myself on my cars. There is two different sizes and depending on the shaft size of both the box and steering shaft... you need to make sure you get the correct one.

BC
Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of connections and what kind of length?

Us thirdgen f-body guys use Astro Van and Jeep Cherokee shafts to ditch our rag joints.

The astro shaft requires one end to be knocked off the splines, rotated, and re-welded/tacked back on. Its not hard. But the shafts are cheap, and feature u-joints at both ends. Jeep shafts have a dampener if you want, and need no mods.

But again, it all depends what your factory shaft looks like. Im not familiar enough with them. You might need to go aftermarket.

J.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Blanco
I am upgrading my manual steer 65 Chevelle to power steering. While doing so I obviously had to remove the old rag joint. It looked pretty beat up, and I was just going to replace it with a new one. However, when I was looking for one to replace it I noticed a things that suggested people were eliminating them all together.

I have to admit it does look like a weak link. What would I need to buy in order to replace the rag joint on a 65 Chevelle?
Did you upgrade to a Jeep grand cherokee power steering box? I can't recall which joint I bought, but I will check when I get home.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the a-body forums for the Jeep steering shaft conversion,looks like the best bang for the buck.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I checked mine. I used the Lares #200 joint on my JGC steering box conversion. You can get them at rock auto for under $20
Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Rag joint

Most street rod builds replace shafts with stainless double D and use universal joints rather than rag joints to clean up the appearance. This bling isn't cheap! If you still would like to investigate this route go to your local rod shop or look up Flaming River or Borgeson.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys I just called Performance Online. It looks like they will end up having something for me. I just need to measure the diameter of the shaft, and how many splines I have.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know what you end up with and how well the upgrade goes.. (pictures !)
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Blanco
Thanks guys I just called Performance Online. It looks like they will end up having something for me. I just need to measure the diameter of the shaft, and how many splines I have.
Is this for a jeep grand cherokee box conversion? You can't beat the Lares #200 joint from rock auto for $16.69

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3025791

Quick Reply: Rag joint replacement