Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E36 Header Choices??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E36 Header Choices??

Hey all! I have a E36 ready to go as a donor car for the LS series engine and a 4l80E tranny. From my reading, headers are going to cost $900 or so. I am like forget that, lol. Well, I might not be able to say that, but, we will see.
I am trying to avoid the steering shaft adjustment and it seems it will have to go “through” the headers if it stays in the stock place. Those headers are expensive, so, maybe a few swivels and some really cheap headers?
Those that have this combo (or the t56), what did you end up going with?
What choices are out there to date? Any new ideas that have been found but not applied, yet?
Any help would be grateful, thanks.

P.S. I am going to try some vette mani’s and see how far off I have to move the steering shaft. That’s the first experiment, open to others.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From everything I've seen, pretty much all the factory manifolds or aftermarket block huggers don't work because of the steering shaft and clearance between the flange and frame rail. If you add a joint and shift the steering shaft over towards the frame rail maybe you could get away with it. Virtually all of the n/a guys I've seen are using long tubes though - vorshlag, sandberg, and jtr all have kits but they're relatively expensive.

These are long tubes, but much cheaper. Maybe give them a look? You'll probably find better quality in the other kits but for the price what the hell http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=BMW3

Last edited by ckpitt55; 10-31-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have seen, and it has been a while, it seems the shaft hits the front header tube’s vertical(?) to the exhaust port. I was thinking if I could go around it and or find something that tucks in enough i would be golden. I dont mind a $400 set of headers, but, $900 is a little stupid.

I was actually looking at the CXR's but got really turned off how they throw the engine so far to the passenger side. I am stuffing a 4l80E tranny in there and I think that would bind the living heck out of it and my tunnel, worse than what it will be in a perfectly centered position, lol. If they have a new revision that allowed me to center the motor, we definitely would have a winner.

Well, thanks for the input, I will add more to what I find (useful or not, lol) when I come across it. Might help some other poor slob trying this feat, ha ha.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting close to wrapping up a 4L80 swap in my E36. I also have the steering shaft modified with u-joints and I used the block hugger headers. It's possible. The steering shaft wasn't that bad to do. Getting the 4L80 to fit was a lot of work. It required a modified TH400 shift selector shaft (eliminate MLPS), lower subframe ~3/4" (engine & trans had too much downward tilt), custom shift cable bracket, hybrid shift arm @ trans, clearance the trans tunnel with a 5lb sledge in several spots, and trimming part of the right unibody rail and a small spot on the Trans case. It wasn't really difficult, just tedious. I must have pulled the engine and trans out 10 times to make adjustments.

All of the issues I had may be different based on what mounting out you use. If you are on Bimmerforums, search for E36 Automatic in the engine conversion section. There is a thread with some helpful info. Also feel free to ask any questions you have. There is only 1 running E36 with an auto that I'm aware of, it's a 4L60. Mine should be ready soon, but there's still a lot of other work I need to do aside from the trans.

Quick Reply: E36 Header Choices??