Sponsored by:

Don't Slaughter Me

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Slaughter Me

Alright everybody.
I need some honest opinions on my project here.

It's a 1983 320i.

I bought a motor for it, tore it down and sent it to the machine shop.
I haven't spent anything more than the purchase price yet.

I'm looking at spending a fair chunk of change on this aluminum pile.

Enough that I could build a forged turbo 5.3.

I want some honest opinions from the guys that stick their LS motors in everything. I'm an LS fan without a doubt, I have t-shirts to prove it. I'd love to stick to BMW and build a fun 300+ hp six speed track car. On the other hand I already have most of the parts for a T56 and a 5.3 would be a lot cheaper.

So give me some opinions on OE plus performance and the sweet sound that a BMW V8 produces compared to the cost and availability of the GM engine.

Begin discussion!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You bought it....do what you want with it.
Around here old german cars are usually scrapped due to engines long before the body rots. I find 944s and 380sl that could be bought under $1k every week.
A couple grand for a 400hp LS motor vs 2-3X that for a stock motor.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

What engine is that, exactly? Does it have VANOS? IIRC, that would be the one that needs $8,000 dealership repairs...Is the oil pan compatible? What about where the exhaust dumps? It would be pretty cool to have BMW V8 though
Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Oh, and what do you use for engine electronics with that?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPDMETL
What engine is that, exactly? Does it have VANOS? IIRC, that would be the one that needs $8,000 dealership repairs...Is the oil pan compatible? What about where the exhaust dumps? It would be pretty cool to have BMW V8 though
This is the m62tub44 or single vanos 4.4L. All the m6x had timing chain guide issues, they are expensive to fix. my parts supplier pricing puts me at around $1200 for all the pieces i need to assemble this, after machining, not counting any extras, or accessories. just a basic long block. so after most likely $1200 at the machine shop and another $1200 in gaskets, probably $600 for the correct accessories and wiring harness modification and the MS3 ECU... I can build a pretty damn hardy LS motor for $3,000... and all the parts are available. No matter what I build I will make headers. That's one of the perks of being a certified welder.

The cool factor is without a doubt what I'm hung up on.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by Fkns10
This is the m62tub44 or single vanos 4.4L. All the m6x had timing chain guide issues, they are expensive to fix. my parts supplier pricing puts me at around $1200 for all the pieces i need to assemble this, after machining, not counting any extras, or accessories. just a basic long block. so after most likely $1200 at the machine shop and another $1200 in gaskets, probably $600 for the correct accessories and wiring harness modification and the MS3 ECU... I can build a pretty damn hardy LS motor for $3,000... and all the parts are available. No matter what I build I will make headers. That's one of the perks of being a certified welder.

The cool factor is without a doubt what I'm hung up on.
What cool factor? Who is to know what's under the hood?

Andrew
Old 11-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
What cool factor? Who is to know what's under the hood?

Andrew
Oh I'll be telling everyone whether they care or not haha!

Plus if i get an LS motor I can build my thread here right?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by Fkns10
Oh I'll be telling everyone whether they care or not haha!

Plus if i get an LS motor I can build my thread here right?
I'm pretty sure you can have any sort of build thread here, but a LS swap thread is more appropriate.

So are you leaning towards the LS swap or the BMW v8?

Andrew
Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Put an ad up with that car, listing it with a 4.4 swap.

Then do the same thing, listing it as an LS1 / T56 swap.

I think you'll find the interest and resulting value will be higher for one than the other.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS engines are infinitely easier and cheaper to work on and modify. There really is no comparison in aftermarket support between the two.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

cool car, in for whatever you do.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Com'n Really?

You posted this question in an LS conversion forum...frankly I'm astounded you got any pro-Bimmer response!

My opinion: If you drop $7000 into a 30 year old engine...are you really going to drive it hard and have fun? Or are you going to do the wince&pucker everytime you put the pedal down as you wait for the *insert overpriced 30yo BWM ***-reaming part* to give up the ghost?

OR...do you want to spend $3000 on a modern aluminum engine and have it make what...450HP (easy), that you can be 100% confident in hammering the **** out of and it will just say; "That was fun, whats next?" Oh, and if you do damage it, you can just call up one of 500 vendors/sponsors/speed shops right here in the good ole' U. S. of F*CKING A. and get fairly priced parts the next day!

Plus if you do an LS swap, you get to hang out with the likes of all us outstanding LS1Tech folk, and that in itself should be enough reason to LS that old kraut-car!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

ok, my first post on the forum, having both a BMW and a GM project in the works, couldn't resist.

Since it's going to be a track car, if you go with the LS, make sure it's aluminum. The BMW 3 series is a lightweight platform and did best with a lightweight engine (M3 for example) to keep the weight distribution happy.

That's a nice looking 320I btw.

What are you doing about beefing up the rear end?

My vote... LS
Old 11-05-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
You posted this question in an LS conversion forum...frankly I'm astounded you got any pro-Bimmer response!

My opinion: If you drop $7000 into a 30 year old engine...are you really going to drive it hard and have fun? Or are you going to do the wince&pucker everytime you put the pedal down as you wait for the *insert overpriced 30yo BWM ***-reaming part* to give up the ghost?

OR...do you want to spend $3000 on a modern aluminum engine and have it make what...450HP (easy), that you can be 100% confident in hammering the **** out of and it will just say; "That was fun, whats next?" Oh, and if you do damage it, you can just call up one of 500 vendors/sponsors/speed shops right here in the good ole' U. S. of F*CKING A. and get fairly priced parts the next day!

Plus if you do an LS swap, you get to hang out with the likes of all us outstanding LS1Tech folk, and that in itself should be enough reason to LS that old kraut-car!
Could not have said this better myself. I work with the OP and I have been trying to convince him to LS this car for a few days now. Really the cost to horsepower the LS takes the cake all day long.

LS IT JAKE or
Old 11-05-2014, 01:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

When you say "track car" I assume you mean road racing? I think without extensive modification adding any type of V8 will make for a poor road race car in that chassis. I'd look at something along the lines of an all alum Sr20 turbo engine. You can easily make 300+hp with a factory long block, and they weigh nothing.

If your sticking with the v8, you don't need a forged motor for your power goals. You could easily make 400+ hp for $1000 or less if you have decent mechanical skills/tools/welder etc...
Old 11-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
When you say "track car" I assume you mean road racing? I think without extensive modification adding any type of V8 will make for a poor road race car in that chassis. I'd look at something along the lines of an all alum Sr20 turbo engine. You can easily make 300+hp with a factory long block, and they weigh nothing.

If your sticking with the v8, you don't need a forged motor for your power goals. You could easily make 400+ hp for $1000 or less if you have decent mechanical skills/tools/welder etc...
Extensive modifications can be the theme here.

And tuckin15's
Old 11-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSswap
ok, my first post on the forum, having both a BMW and a GM project in the works, couldn't resist.

Since it's going to be a track car, if you go with the LS, make sure it's aluminum. The BMW 3 series is a lightweight platform and did best with a lightweight engine (M3 for example) to keep the weight distribution happy.

That's a nice looking 320I btw.

What are you doing about beefing up the rear end?

My vote... LS
5 series rear end
Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the 320i engine compartment even wide enough to fit that DOHC BMW V8?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

keep stock(ish) wheels and the general look, and you'll have one hell of a sleeper. This car should be a blast. I'd go for it.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

I pulled the M62TU out of my car in order to plop in an iron 6.0. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The BMW V8 was an overcomplicated, underperforming behemoth that was maintenance hungry and didn't make all that much power. The only maintenance my 6.0 has ever needed has been oil changes (and this is after 135K miles of use in a Chevy Express work van).

See signature for my build thread - go with LS power. Stock for stock, my "junkyard van" 6.0 put down 100whp more than the 4.4. Add a cam and some exhaust work and we're well into the 420whp range.

Last but not least, comparison between size:

Keep in mind that the LS is missing accessories, manifolds, and oil pan, but the size difference is dramatic.

Quick Reply: Don't Slaughter Me