Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

A member here (Project GatTagO) pulled a mold off his badass Mercury Man windshield washer bottle cap that's in his 67 Cougar..... He was kind enough to send me a couple of parts out of that mold which I used to make a really cool steering wheel horn button center piece.....

This is one of the molded parts he sent me, I will find a use for this one too.....

After some sanding and whittling I got it to fit the center for my steering wheel, here's what it looks like.....

Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Thats looks GREAT!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Looks sweet Frank. A Mercury should have a proper Mercury Man logo somewhere!

Andrew
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Thats looks GREAT!!!
Thanks.....

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Looks sweet Frank. A Mercury should have a proper Mercury Man logo somewhere!

Andrew
Thanks..... You would think.....
Old 08-15-2015, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After a nice little clean up session this morning and parts reorganization, I put the rest of the front suspension together..... I got out a radiator I have from my last build(not the one I am going to use but the same size(I think)) for some mock up..... I trimmed the core support for the radiator and got it set in place..... The big problem I am having is figuring out where I want to position the turbo and how exactly I want to mount it.....

Here is a small collection of parts for the turbo part of the build(also you can see the sheet metal balancer position mock up piece I made).....

This is what I trimmed from the core support for radiator clearance.....

Here the radiator and turbo mocked up in approximate position(maybe).....

Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That is a pretty good sized hair dryer.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Master Power T76?

Andrew
Old 08-15-2015, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
That is a pretty good sized hair dryer.
Master Power T76?

Andrew
Exactly..... It's a Master Power T76 with a Q trim 1.00 AR divided exhaust housing.....
Old 08-16-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I must of tried putting the turbo everywhere possible and wasting the better part of the morning..... I finally said F it, picked a spot and cut clearance for it..... I ended up trimming a little more and finally got it mocked up where it's going to be..... That was about it for today, hopefully next weekend I will actually make noticeable progress(we shall see).....

Here is the initial hole I made and then some of the turbo in position.....

Old 08-16-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Frank,

Is the turbo going to be mounted solidly to the frame?

I so wish you were going EFI on this built. With your attention to detail I know you would do a great job with the wiring, etc...You could run the fan PWM if you used a Holley HP or Dominator, etc...

What trans are you going to use?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Frank,

Is the turbo going to be mounted solidly to the frame?

I so wish you were going EFI on this built. With your attention to detail I know you would do a great job with the wiring, etc...You could run the fan PWM if you used a Holley HP or Dominator, etc...

What trans are you going to use?
It will have to be mounted to the frame with it being that far from the motor.....

EFI is just a bunch more to spend right now, I can definitely see it being an upgrade down the road.....

Powerglide.....
Old 08-22-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got some more goodies this week including the new double pass radiator..... I cut the hose connections off it in preparation for the electric water pump plate and an fittings.....

I had to trim a little more off the seam at the top of the frame for turbo clearance..... I made the turbo mounting bracket and got it welded to the frame..... Then I mocked the turbo up on the mount and set the radiator in place.....

Here is the progress this morning.....

[/IMG]
[IMG]https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech.com-vbulletin/640x360/80-01763_zpshjarfpqb_384950c510c12d9682cec93a9111a8bf 21f69074.jpg
Old 08-23-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Made a little more progress today..... First thing, I took the exhaust housing off the turbo and put the rest of the turbo back in the box for now to prevent any chance of damage..... Then I opened up the ports on one side of the exhaust housing so there was no step to disrupt exhaust flow.....

Here you can see the difference in the untouched left opening and the one I opened a little on the right(then one of it with both sides finished)..... This is so the exhaust flange, gasket and exhaust housing all match and line up.....

Here is the pipes I made(the one on the left I cleaned up and the right is as welded)..... Also one of the inside joint.....

Next I tried to fit those 2" pipes to the divide turbo flange, I got them shaped but they just weren't going in there so I opted to put a counter bore in the flange so they would fit.....

Here you can see the counter bore.....

Here you can see it's welded on the outside..... Then how well it fit on the inside..... Then the inside welded up and finally ground smooth.....

Last thing I did was bolt the flange and exhaust housing back in place so I can get the wastgate tube located and properly fitted..... I will have to get this wastegate tube welded in place before I can put the longer tube in the flange.....

First pic is with the flange and housing bolted in place..... Then one with the wastegate tube held in the approximate position it will be.....

Old 08-29-2015, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back at it again this morning, actually made decent progress today..... I got the first wastgate tube fitted and attached..... Then put the second inlet tube in the turbo flange and fitted and attached the second wastegate tube fitted and attached..... I deburred all the opens and tube intersect points as always.....

Then I put the flange assembly back on the chassis and attached the exhaust housing back to it..... I put the v-band on the exhaust housing and cut a couple pieces of 3.5" for the down pipe and mocked them up in place..... I had to put a notch in the frame just in front of the tower base to get the down pipe tucked in like I want it..... I made the filler piece for the to weld in the notch, tacked it in, welded it and ground the face of the filler piece clean for as much down pipe clearance as possible.....

Old 08-29-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Couple more pic's.....

Old 08-30-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the first 2 sections of down pipe welded together..... Then added 2 stubbs where the wastegate outlets will blend into the exhaust flow(I like to put them in at a generous angle and preferably towards the inside of a bend area so they do blend into the flow, rather then putting them in at 90 degrees and having the exhaust flow disturbed/disrupted)..... Of course, all intersects were thoroughly deburred......

After that I had to clean the entire shop and reorganize my work area..... There was grinding dust, pieces of tube, tools and tangled cords/hoses everywhere.....

Here is today's progress.....

Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn you do nice work!! I am always checking on this thread and look forward to your updates.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fahrenschnell
Damn you do nice work!! I am always checking on this thread and look forward to your updates.
Thank you.....
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your work is outstanding! I always look forward to your updates when I get on here. Are you going to coat those parts once you have it all fabbed up?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aggie91
Your work is outstanding! I always look forward to your updates when I get on here. Are you going to coat those parts once you have it all fabbed up?
Thanks..... Yes, everything will get coated with satin black ceramic.....

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....