Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rag Joint Flange Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rag Joint Flange Removal

I am upgrading the steering from manual steer to power. With that I bought, from Summit, AGR 292317 and the new pitman arm.

While doing this I noticed that the rag joint looked like it needed replacing, and then decided to go ahead and try to get rid of the rag joint all together and go with a U joint from Borgeson or Flaming River.

My issue is the top flange of the rag joint on the steering shaft. I tried to use a puller to get it off the shaft, and that just broke my puller. After further inspection it looks to me as if the shaft is flared inside the rag joint flange.

I have seen articles where people have cut off the top flange from the shaft, but that was on more late model vehicles. My other option was to replace the steering shaft, but not sure where it starts or ends. Any help on this matter is appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Rag joint

Every time I did this the upper bolt next to the steering column had to be completly removed in order to remove the shaft. Same goes for the lower (or any) rag joint. In the picture I can't see the lower joint. If it's a GM column it is usually 1" double D or 1" spline. When ordering parts I get the upper U joint to fit the column and 3/4" double D shaft. The lower U joint to fit the shaft from the box and, again 3/4" double D. Have you concidered a new chrome column? If you can't get the rag joint off, maybe cut it and grind flats on the shaft to accept a double D U joint.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Rag joint

Oops, an ad was covering the lower joint. It does appear that the only way is to replace the rag joint or cut the shaft and grind for a double D.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you looked into the Jeep Grand Cherokee shaft,I have heard guys are modifying them from the junkyard slightly,not sure if they work on the earlier A bodies.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 33willys
Oops, an ad was covering the lower joint. It does appear that the only way is to replace the rag joint or cut the shaft and grind for a double D.
I ordered the rag joint this morning after talking to Gil @ Borgeson. I was going to cut the top flange of the rag joint off of the shaft and then cut the flare off of the shaft, but after that I would have just had a round shaft. Your double D suggestion, I think would be to correct that issue, but I do not know what a double D is. Do you have pictures of this at all?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can look it up on Flaming River or Borgeson for a picture. It's just a 3/4" shaft with both sides milled down so that it is flat on two sides and round on the other sides, looks like two "D" back to back. The U joints made for this just slip on with a set screw to hold it in place and no chance of it turning on the shaft.

Quick Reply: Rag Joint Flange Removal