Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need direction for parts on lq4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need direction for parts on lq4 swap

I just recently bought a 1979 Trans Am and thinking about doing a LQ4/4L60e swap.I am in the process of disassembling the car for paint at the moment.I'm not in any hurry on the engine swap,but have kinda been looking around at engines.I found a 2000 6.0 for $800 complete engine 70k miles.No accessories or wiring harness.Complete from intake to oil pan with injectors and throttle body.Would I be better off waiting and finding something complete instead of piece milling it?I'm sure I will have more questions as it progresses,but I know from reading here that several have already been through this.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It will cost at least twice as much buying it piece by piece. Get a complete takeout with EVERYTHING.
Also look up crank length if you buy a 2000 and want to use it with a manual trans.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
It will cost at least twice as much buying it piece by piece. Get a complete takeout with EVERYTHING.
Also look up crank length if you buy a 2000 and want to use it with a manual trans.
Kinda what I was thinking.The problem in my area is finding one that isn't $2500.The 5.3's are a little more reasonable ,but I was really thinking about the power of the 6.0. I appreciate the input.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Rule #1 on used parts, it's an "asking pride".
I bought both mine off ebay auctions that expired without a "buy it now" offer. Contacted them directly with a lowball offer, they took it.
You can truck freight a motor half way across the country for about $100.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Good info. I haven't even really given that much thought. I'm not really in that big of a hurry as I'm just now starting to disassemble the car for body work.I don't know how long it will take me to do the paint and frame work before I'm ready for the conversion.I figure I'm about 3 months out(just working on it in my spare time).Just need to start looking for a deal.Thanks.

Quick Reply: Need direction for parts on lq4 swap