Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windstar fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windstar fan wiring

Would sure appreciate any diagram for wiring Ford Windstar fans in my 72' Chevelle LS swap. I think they need to be controlled by the PCM and operate the high speed fan up to a chosen temp and then kick in the low speed fan if the temp goes over that. Thanks for any help.

Bob
Old 11-14-2014, 02:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You kind of have that backwards.
But it might help to know what ECU you're running, if you have AC, and if you want to run the fans independently or together with 2 speed operation.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the windstar fans on mine. I have the small fan set up to come on using a Painless wiring temp sending unit kit (I had the fans before the ls swap, you can use the PCM to trigger it instead) and the large fan on a manual switch.

I have absolutely never "needed" the big fan to be on. I turn it on when I'm being hard on the car because the trans cooler is mounted in front of it. Also comes in handy for cooldown at the track since the other fan will turn off and I can continue to cool down to help prevent heat soak.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Gary, it is a 2005 5.3 vortec engine and ecu. I would like to have the fans work together with one to come on around 185 and the other at 195 or so. The car does not have AC. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Thunderstruck. Since I won't probably be racing, the car will just be for crusing I would like both fans to be controlled by the PCM to come on at different temps.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If the thermostat is stock it is rated at 195*. So you might want to adjust your fan preferences for that. IIRC the factory ls1 fan isn't set to come on until (I would go lower than that but you see the point)

My small fan is set to come on at 185* and go off at 180* and it runs all the time which isn't the best for it. I've had to replace it once. Even with both fans running my operating temp is 205*-210*. These engines seem to like to run a tad warmer than SBCs.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm running an 05 5.3 as well.
You have 2 choices, run each fan individually, or run both with 2 speed operation. I prefer individually.
Your ecu has 1 output to control fans. Since your thermostat is 195 the factory setpoint is slightly higher. You can tune it to any temp you want. If you put it at 185, it will run constantly, bad idea.
If you have someone reprogram for you, ie eliminate VATS, etc, he can set that temp. In addition, there's another control, generally used for the AC/vent system that can be set to trigger another fan relay at a higher setpoint. You can find the pinouts over at LT1swap.com.
I use the factory setpoint for one fan. I wanted some adjustability for the other, so I used an adjustable controller (Haywire), since I don't have tuning software.
You can also run both fans at low and high speed using the same triggers, but wired differently. If you want that diagram, let me know.

Quick Reply: Windstar fan wiring