Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang manual steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang manual steering

I removed the power steering pump to clean up the engine bay on my 02 Mustang. I did a little researching and found that the Foxbody rack is the same size as the later 99-04 rack. Only question I have is; is all I need to do to use a foxbody rack in my 02 is use foxbody tie rods? Hopefully someone has done this and can help me out.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
I removed the power steering pump to clean up the engine bay on my 02 Mustang. I did a little researching and found that the Foxbody rack is the same size as the later 99-04 rack. Only question I have is; is all I need to do to use a foxbody rack in my 02 is use foxbody tie rods? Hopefully someone has done this and can help me out.
The outer tie rod ends on a Fox body are SAE 9/16" thread, `94-"04 (sn95's) are metric thread. So, no, they are not interchangeable, you'll need new tie rod ends. Also, the sn95 is wider so you need extra long outer tie rod ends if you're putting in a Fox rack in your `99. It can be done and there is a long tie rod available for this swap. I used a manual Fox rack in my `94 GT but used narrower Fox width control arms, just another way you can go.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read about the thread pitch difference and someone said they used ford Taurus tie rods. I'm just looking to save some $$$$, the 99-04 manual rack is $250+ and I have seen foxbody racks for under $100. I know there are guys here that have done it, I'm hoping one will chime in and save me some headaches.

Quick Reply: Mustang manual steering