Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet LS2 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4Lux,

Sorry I've been really busy lately, just got time to review your thread. Great job so far. Luckily, I also have a 2001 996. Here is what I did with my wiring.

Unlike Michael, I am using the GM ECU to supply the ground that controls the Porsche relays. Both my GM harness (PSI conversions) and the porsche ecu use a supplied ground to control the low speed and high speed fans.

When you program your GM tune you can select the temperature at which the stage 1 and stage 2 come on.

Both are yellow wires with a green stripe.

On the Porsche ECM connector IV (40 pin)
pin 4 - Cooling Fan Stage 1 ground
pin 20 - cooling Fan Stage 2 ground

You will find that most of the wires you need for your swap for the 2001 are on connector IV of the ecu. These are all of the body to Porsche ECU connections. I also hooked in the check engine light, fan one and fan two, I'm using the Porsche fuel pump relay. (supply a ground just like the fans) I think my harness also required a stop light signal. All of these are on connector IV.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

I re-read what I wrote and wanted to say that Michaels project is not incorrect either. I do have my Porsche temp sensor in the head to drive the dash gauge. I do think the Porsche ecu will pick up the temp and turn on the fans, but if in the future you want to modify the temperature that they come on my guess is that it will be harder to retune the Porsche ecu than to change the paramaters in the GM ecu.
Right now my system is running 195 pretty steadily. I haven't driven it enough yet to tell you how often the fans are kicking on. Renegade recommends installing a third radiator (they don't tell you that when you are buying the kit). I think with my setup I wont have any cooling issues unless I track the car.

I mostly just wanted to say that Michaels way isn't wrong or wont work. Hes been a great help to my project.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amille28
4Lux,

Sorry I've been really busy lately, just got time to review your thread. Great job so far. Luckily, I also have a 2001 996. Here is what I did with my wiring.

Unlike Michael, I am using the GM ECU to supply the ground that controls the Porsche relays. Both my GM harness (PSI conversions) and the porsche ecu use a supplied ground to control the low speed and high speed fans.

When you program your GM tune you can select the temperature at which the stage 1 and stage 2 come on.

You will find that most of the wires you need for your swap for the 2001 are on connector IV of the ecu. These are all of the body to Porsche ECU connections. I also hooked in the check engine light, fan one and fan two, I'm using the Porsche fuel pump relay. (supply a ground just like the fans) I think my harness also required a stop light signal. All of these are on connector IV.
great to hear that someone else did the same thing. I did notice the the connector IV was the point to intecept many of the wires, great idea to run the gm check eninge light to the porsche dash. I will be noting all these great wiring ideas.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Amille28
4Lux,

Are you running a GM AC Pressure sensor to activate the cooling fans for AC condenser cooling? That was the route I planned on using, with the Porsche system used to turn on the AC compressor clutch.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Small Update!!! Ended up getting my short block together this weekend

Also continued working on porting my stock "243" heads.

Here is a photo of the swirl ramp before some work. also shows the rough bowl blend.

Here is a photo of the rough cut on the swirl ramp. , removal and guide boss rough bullet cut.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:04 AM
Teching In

This is awesome.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Quick thought, Are you going to run both oil pressure sensors? GM and Porsche.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Sub'd. Just reading and learning before I start this exact same project...
Old 05-19-2015, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Quick thought, Are you going to run both oil pressure sensors? GM and Porsche.
Still on the fence, really do not need the GM one. I have a few options, I have already drilled and tapped an oil pan block off plate for the Porsche sensor and also have a brass plug that screws into the GM location that I can drill and tap for the Porsche sensor. On a side note I have decided to change to the Corvette oil pan like you did, also.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I am also doing the renegade kit in a c2 cab. Its very interesting to see someone elses take on the swap and the different directions they go. Im still in progress on mine. Im a little ahead of you but not driveable yet. I got mine started on saturday. Im prly gonna make a build thread soon. Good luck with the build! Good to see another cab in the works!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

More Porting done last night, I have one head completely rough cut and about 1/4 of the second one.

Rocker Bump before the rough cut.

Rocker Bump after rough cut.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

So I have been doing some further research and have decided to add the center radiator that was available on the GT3, Turbo and Tiptronic optioned 996 and 997. This center radiator was also a factory install on the 986 boxer S.Pretty in expensive upgrade, $100 for a Epay Boxer center radiator assembly and another $100 for the correct hoses. Here are the items needed to add the center radiator to a 1999 - 2005 C2 996.

Left Upper Radiator to Center Radiator Hose 996 106 665 57

Right Lower Radiator to Center Radiator Hose 996 106 666 55

And the Boxer S center radiator assembly

Should only take a few hours to install this extra radiator, before I finish up the LS2 transplant.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Quick Update, I was able to get the DIY head porting completed and I have a Long Block!!!

So during the week, I will hope to finish mounting the accessories and look to get the flywheel, clutch and transaxle bolted together.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Careful of the URO parts. They are about the worst quality parts one can find. I have an Mercedes 500E and the online forum group has graded many of the parts by aftermarket suppliers.

I bet a higher quality aftermarket part can be found for not a lot of $.
Good job on the porting.
Curious, how do you know how to port? Do you do this by someone else's research? Or is that your profession? Or just eyeball and guesstimate where opening up will aid flow?
Doug
Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DW SD
Careful of the URO parts. They are about the worst quality parts one can find. I have an Mercedes 500E and the online forum group has graded many of the parts by aftermarket suppliers.

I bet a higher quality aftermarket part can be found for not a lot of $.
Good job on the porting.
Curious, how do you know how to port? Do you do this by someone else's research? Or is that your profession? Or just eyeball and guesstimate where opening up will aid flow?
Doug
I just used the URO photo's, they had the best pictures of the hoses. I have not pulled the trigger and bought the hoses, most likely will buy them from the local Porsche dealer, they quoted me some pretty good prices.

On the porting, I watched about 5 hours of how to DIY LS head porting on the web and looked through a few posts on here. I also looked at and took measurements off a set of CNC ported 243 heads. So I felt pretty confident that I did a good job. I will tell you this, these are the last set that I will do, I see why these guys get $500 to $900 for porting. It was about 12-15 hours of work!!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4LUX
I just used the URO photo's, they had the best pictures of the hoses. I have not pulled the trigger and bought the hoses, most likely will buy them from the local Porsche dealer, they quoted me some pretty good prices.

On the porting, I watched about 5 hours of how to DIY LS head porting on the web and looked through a few posts on here. I also looked at and took measurements off a set of CNC ported 243 heads. So I felt pretty confident that I did a good job. I will tell you this, these are the last set that I will do, I see why these guys get $500 to $900 for porting. It was about 12-15 hours of work!!
use pelicanparts.com for any pcar parts. stay as far away from the dealer as possible! as for the cost of porting the heads take solace in that my turbo heads are 4000$ for porting and polishing
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
use pelicanparts.com for any pcar parts. stay as far away from the dealer as possible! as for the cost of porting the heads take solace in that my turbo heads are 4000$ for porting and polishing
I have used Pelicanparts.com for other Pcar parts. They want $695 for the same center radiator conversion that will cost me under $200?? Their hoses are the same price the local dealer will sell them to me for? So, sometimes one has to find another place to find Pcar parts. The local dealer has been treating me real fair, 25% discounts or better on the the parts I have bought so far.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Getting The accessories mounted and the RH engine mount mocked up. I had some issues with clearance with the intake and the RH engine mount. I had to do a little grinding and re-finishing to get things to clear. It looks like I will be needing to do some re-plumbing on the heater hoses to clear the body on the Porsche. So I will be pulling the water pump back off to do some work on it.

I also got the Porsche oil sensor mounted in the stock GM sensor location. Had a adapter from GM to 1/8" NTP, that I drilled and tapped to 14mm 1.5 thread, to accept the Porsche oil pressure sensor.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good !
Hurry up I want a ride!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

It is super hot here, so progress kind of slows down for me. Even with the swamp cooler running out in the garage, it is hot. I ended up getting my wiring harness from PSI and my new LS2/3 Corvette oil pan. Got the pan swapped out and finished up getting my accessories all worked out with spacing and such with the swap to the LS3 water pump. I moved the PS fluid reservoir, for clearance, but forgot to get a pic of the finished product.

Beings I got my harness I got the LS3 Corvette DBW pedal and got that fit in place.

With the harness I dove back into the wiring and figured that I had been looking at the wrong DME pin outs. I thought I had the Bosch 5.2 DME, but I really have the 7.2. So here is my revised wiring conclusions. Most of these wires are on the Black Plug IV of the Porsche 7.2 DME.

Plug IV/ Pin 4 is Cooling Fan Stage 1 (Yellow/ Green) hooks to GM Fan 1 wire from E38 ECM.

Plug IV/ Pin 10 is Fuel Pump Trigger (Yellow/ White) hooks to GM Fuel Pump signal Wire from the E38 ECM.

Plug IV/ Pin 20 is the Cooling Fan Stage 2 (Yellow/ Grey) hooks to GM Fan 2 wire from the E38 ECM.

Plug IV/ Pin 24 is the Stop Light Switch (Black/ Orange) hooks to the GM stop light wire from E38 ECM.

Plug IV/ Pin 31 is the Check Engine Light (Blue/ Yellow) hooks to the GM MIL E38 Wire.

I found a couple sources for Key on always 12 Volt power. Was hoping one of the other 996 build guys would chime in to tell me which one would be best? I like the Red/ Blue wire, it is 2.5 mm.

Plug X59/2 Pin 22 (Red/ Violet) wire

Or Plug X59/1 Pin 8 (Red/ Blue) wire

Quick Reply: 2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet LS2 Conversion