Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 GTO Power-train into a 2nd gen firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GTO Power-train into a 2nd gen firebird

I have a 72 firebird and was looking at a 2005 LS2 and T56 from a GTO. What parts will need to be changed to make it work. I understand the oil pan needs to be changed to a fbody and the dipstick changed. What else doesn't work? Will the GTO t56 present a problem? I don't need a center console and can cut the tranny tunnel to the needs of the GTO shifter.

Any help appreciated
Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 72 with a hybrid LSA blown engine. F body pan fits perfect above the crossmember. Buy the Hooker mounts and thank me later, very good quality, perfect fitment and they have headers and full stainless exhaust too.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1648961-new-hooker-2nd-gen-f-body-ls-swap-components-now-released.html?styleid=27
Old 11-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Teching In

How about the GTO t56? Will I have to change the gearshift also the accessory drive. I guess it's really only a decent deal if I can use most of the parts in the swap.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I plan on using the hooker mounts and headers, I think there on sale right now as well
Old 11-27-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I at first got other adapters but sold them after seeing that thread. Now everything is in the car running. Oh for the clutch master cylinder McLeod makes a kit for second gens that uses a wilwood master for cheap. Need the 4 speed pedals and cut a new hole in the firewall. For fuel theres a cheaper tank that will work fine for stock but anything more ricks makes a really nice one. I'm using the vaporworx setup with the v pump.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a Corvette accessory setup because I didn't want to cut the frame and weld. I also went with the Corvette batwing pan for the ground clearance (car's lowered in front). It works well but I cannot pull the engine and trans as a unit. The engine's been pulled three times this year due to Murphy's law, and each time it had to be separated from the trans.

Things to look for:

The GTO dipstick tube is attached to the oil pan. The Corvette dipstick (and I think the F-body) tube goes to the block. The GTO block has provisions for the tube, but it's plugged. If required, you should knock the plug out before you put on your replacement pan. I didn't figure this out until I had the engine in the car. Doh!

Follow LowerThanYou's advice on the Mcleod / Wilwood clutch setup (and the motor mounts too). I used the DSE 4th gen conversion plate at first, and it puts the master at a pretty serious angle, as it relates to the clutch pedal. This angle created sideload on the master, and mine eventually started leaking. I fabbed a replacement with a Wilwood master, and haven't looked at it since.

My tunnel needed to be cut to clear the F-Body shifter. Not sure about the GTO shifter location, but the T56 *is* a bit fatter at the back than a TH350. Be prepared to use a BFH to massage the tunnel, or cut and weld. Clearing the reverse lockout solenoid was the biggest PITA for me.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

F body dipstick is in the block. Also for the trans the only part that touched on the t56 was the actuator on the side and it was barely, you'll have to cut the floor too for the shifter before you bolt it in as the actual shifter housing of the trans sticks up barely as well. Not to sure about gto shifter, it may sit in the 4 speed location or maybe too far forward. F body location comes up right where the auto shifter was.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Teching In

thanks for the information. I'll have to look into the shifter a bit more. You mention possibly cutting the subframe, I don't want to do that. I'll research more and see if the GTO accessory drive fits the 2nd gen without cutting.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2014, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cjl488
thanks for the information. I'll have to look into the shifter a bit more. You mention possibly cutting the subframe, I don't want to do that. I'll research more and see if the GTO accessory drive fits the 2nd gen without cutting.

Thanks
If the alternator is low on the drivers side it will have to be notched. Some using the camaro accessories notched the plastic cover on the alternator, not sure if it's the same with the gto. My preference was to notch it to run a larger alternator and that way the engine looks more compact.

Last edited by lowerthanyou00; 11-28-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I wanted the Fbody4 FEAD (best looking OEM FEAD imo)but was affraid of the alt clearance and PS pulley @ gearbox problem and from what I seen, the GTO is simuiar, so I went with a GMPP Vette FEAD (C6 IIRC) and it fits like it was designed for it.

HOLLEY makes a real sweet FEAD that looks like a GM Vette FEAD. Top notch quality and it uses common alt vs. Vette specific ($$) alt. They offer a top mount AC compressor fit too. If you choose a low mount, ALLENGROVECONCEPTS.com offer top and lower. Their top mount doesn't look as nice as the HOLLEY setup but the low mount kit is pretty bad ***.

The GTO T56 will need to be modified FWIW
Old 11-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Teching In

The T56 will work but you'll need a shifter cup/lever made for the F-body T56. It's like $60. Then a shifter for the F-body (not the GTO) and you'll be set trans-wise.

I hated the idea of notching my frame. I bought an aftermarket accessory bracket to move the alternator up high.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Ok I see in a photo that the GTO t56 shifter sits further back almost like it's hanging off the tailpiece and the fbody shifter is right above the shifter cup area. As long as that is the only change it does not seem that bad.

The exact fit kits from american powertrain have an offset shifter that supposed to fit in the same location as a 4speed.

I might go for this deal

Quick Reply: 2005 GTO Power-train into a 2nd gen firebird