Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those interested here are my test results for the Holley LS7 High Ram w/102mm TB

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default For those interested here are my test results for the Holley LS7 High Ram w/102mm TB

On my journey to 700+ RWHP for my NA LS7 I've actually tested 6 different intake manifold configurations in the ruthless pursuit of the magic numbers.....the OEM stock LS7 intake, Ported OEM LS7 intake, Beck Sheetmetal, MAST CNC aluminum LSX, Holley High Ram front opening and Holley High Ram top mount!

What's interesting is that there really are no surprises per se, just to recap:

-ported heads/SR cam/stock LS7 intake w/90mm ported TB: 618/518 RWHP/RWTQ
-same as 618 w/ported LS7 intake w/90mm ported TB: 631/518 RWHP/RWTQ
-same as 631 w/Beck Sheetmetal w/90mm ported TB: 639/522 RWHP/RWTQ
-same as 639 w/Beck Sheetmetal w/102mm NW TB: 660/522 RWHP/RWTQ
-same as 660 w/new stepped headers & 4" exhaust: 680/540 RWHP/RWTQ
-same as 680 w/ Darin Morgan Heads 704/542 RWHP/RWTQ

......the ported OEM LS7 stock intake makes +13/0 RWHP/RWTQ more at peak than the stock manifold and I believe this would be similar to the Holley plastic LSx 102mm intake with a 90mm TB. Now with the 90mm TB on the Beck sheetmetal intake, the gains are is +21/4 RWHP/RWTQ over the stock LS7 intake set-up. The upper RPM HP gains made with a 102mm vs 90mm TB on the Beck intake vs stock OEM make a significant difference +42/4 RWHP/RWTQ!

Now here is where you have to have trust in the testing process and a little Algebra....the graph below demonstrates irrefutably that the ~$700 Holley High Ram basically performs about the same as my $2500 Beck Sheetmetal intake I wouldn't consider +2/4 RWHP/RWTQ as statistically significant when compared to that of the Beck's performance so I HOPE that we can all agree that the Holley and Beck really perform about the same and that this small of a difference is "noise level".

If we can agree on this much, then you can reverse engineer your way backwards to compare the Holley with the Ported OEM LS7 intakes and stock LS7 intakes using the data that I have provide above and the graphs below. Of course your have to use the 680 RWHP graph as the baseline for direct comparisons because the difference is, the 706 RWHP for the Holley is with Morgan heads vs Good heads so the only way to get back to apples is to remember that your can't compare the 706 RWHP Holley against the stock OEM LS7 intake with a 90mm ported TB and say hey, the Holley is good for +66/28 RWHP/RWTQ, it's only +42/4 but still I think that this is HUGE! And yes, you likely need a motor making the power level that I am to see similar gains so please don't go bolt the Holley on your stock LS7 and then be disappointed....this HP difference is representative for a max effort set-up! I hope this helps with your decision process when trying to downselect an intake manifold. And by the way, I will be selling both my Holley with the front mount, the extra top mount for it with fuel rails and the LSX intake shortly if anyone is interested once I figure out reasonable pricing. They have only been used on the dyno and a quick drive around the block.

Here is the Beck vs Holley:

I didn't talk about it much but here is where I tested the Holley with a flat top (tunnel ram style top) and mounted the TB on top vs the Holley front mount and Beck...as you can see no significant difference:

And lastly, the graph comparing the Holley to the Beck to the Ported OEM LS7 to the Stock LS7:

Old 12-07-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

John,

Good stuff. So you're saying my little 5.3L with an ASA cam isn't going to make 700hp with the Hi-Ram? :-(

Andrew
Old 12-07-2014, 10:35 AM

So you're saying my little 5.3L with an ASA cam isn't going to make 700hp with the Hi-Ram? :-(
Anything is possible ...but if I was a betting man.....NA no, forced induction, why not!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by John B
Anything is possible ...but if I was a betting man.....NA no, forced induction, why not!
But it looks like it would

Andrew
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM

But it looks like it would
That set-up looks awesome...how cool! And you're right it sure looks the part....if it's a 9500RPM NA 5.3L then like I said, anything's possible, but in the realm of 6500-7000 RPM NA no.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by John B
That set-up looks awesome...how cool! And you're right it sure looks the part....if it's a 9500RPM NA 5.3L then like I said, anything's possible, but in the realm of 6500-7000 RPM NA no.
I built the engine mostly for looks. I am hoping that the Hi-Ram won't kill too much low end torque, but even if it does, I have 4.30 gears.

Andrew

Quick Reply: For those interested here are my test results for the Holley LS7 High Ram w/102mm TB