Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting together my first engine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting together my first engine!

Hey guys, so I decided to get myself a second weekend car thats a little more fun than my Toyota Matrix commuter. I figured instead of buying a running car, I would build an engine and swap it into a roller as a project. I havent really decided on the chassis yet (stuck between e30 325is, e36 M3, or Boxster S).

This is my plan for the engine. Some input would be much appreciated.

Block: 5.3L LM4 Aluminum truck block
Heads: 799 Truck Heads
Intake: LS1 or LS6
Cam: Not sure yet

I'm trying to keep this build as cheap as possible, just to see what kind of performance I can get on a budget (this is not because I have no money, just something I'm doing as a challenge).

So far I've sourced out a 5.3L Yukon XL engine and 799 heads for $850 at a local scrap yard. From what I've read this seems to be a solid base for a budget build. What do you think?
For the intake I'm thinking of going with the LS1 setup (manifold, fuel rail, injectors, and throttlebody). If you have any of these for sale please PM me.

I have not decided what cam and springs to use. Is LS1 cam the best bang for the buck? Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 AM
ZMX
Staging Lane

The 5.3 is a fantastic starting point, due to its low price. That said, you paid more than you had to! Use the forums' for sale section for general stuff like that and you'll find some good deals in your area.

The LS6 intake is affordable and good for ~20HP more than the LS1 intake.

Best bang for buck cam depends what you're willing to spend. LS6 cams and LS6 springs are cheap, but at least 30HP, or a whole lot more, can be had with a cam swap package, depending on how much street manners you want to sacrifice.
http://hubbardracinginc.com/product/...ium-retainers/

You'll want some headers, too.

Anyway, if you're new to the engine, I recommend you pace yourself by starting out with a car that comes with an LS engine, like a Camaro, Trans Am, GTO, Corvette, or truck.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZMX
The 5.3 is a fantastic starting point, due to its low price. That said, you paid more than you had to! Use the forums' for sale section for general stuff like that and you'll find some good deals in your area.

The LS6 intake is affordable and good for ~20HP more than the LS1 intake.

Best bang for buck cam depends what you're willing to spend. LS6 cams and LS6 springs are cheap, but at least 30HP, or a whole lot more, can be had with a cam swap package, depending on how much street manners you want to sacrifice.
http://hubbardracinginc.com/product/...ium-retainers/

You'll want some headers, too.

Anyway, if you're new to the engine, I recommend you pace yourself by starting out with a car that comes with an LS engine, like a Camaro, Trans Am, GTO, Corvette, or truck.
Hey, thanks a lot for your input, I could definitely use some help here. The prices are a little higher for me because I'm in Canada (everything is expensive here!). I guess if you convert it to USD I'm paying around 700 for the truck engine and heads. I guess I'll try to find LS6 intake and cams, the aftermarket stuff is getting a bit expensive.

This is a pretty ambitious project, but I know a couple of people that already did an LS swap in a 240, so they should be able to help me out a bit.

Quick Reply: Putting together my first engine!