Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low mount A/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mount A/C

OK well I have myself in quite the situation. I added an LSA blower to my build thus removing my ability to high mount the A/C on the passengers side. I was thinking a could notch my subframe low mount my a/c until I really started looking at it. Because the LSA setup is corvette offsets I have very little room. I have about 6 inches from the motor mount to the rear a/c belt pulled and maybe 7 inches to the middle accessory belt pulley.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Hey cwylie, I would say your situation is going to call for modification to the mount on that side of the car so you can move it rearward and re-drill the frame to accept it in a new location. I can build you a modified bracket it you give me a discrete distance that you need it to be moved back on the engine.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

I ordered a compressor and it showed up yesterday but it was the wrong one. Trying to run the smallest compressor I can find but I dont think there is going to be a way to fit it without moving the motor mount. Do you think it could be moved back an inch?
Attached Thumbnails Low mount A/C-capture.png  
Old 12-19-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cwylie
I ordered a compressor and it showed up yesterday but it was the wrong one. Trying to run the smallest compressor I can find but I dont think there is going to be a way to fit it without moving the motor mount. Do you think it could be moved back an inch?
Making a mount with an inch of set-back will be a piece of cake...but it's obviously going to cantilever off the back of the crossmember more than it does now by the same amount, so you'll need to be sure to provide proper support back there if needed. If you get some 1/4" steel plate and just make a new adapter plate that goes between the clamshell and the subframe that extends 1" further back you should be OK. You might still have to notch the subframe to clear the compressor, but you'll have to figure that out as you go. Let me know if you need the mount and I can make one for you next week if you do.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

What car are you putting this in???
Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

69 Camaro
Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure we have what you are looking for. Let me see if I can mock one up on an engine and I will take a picture. It is going to be a compressor/mount combo.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

And here it is on a LSA blower setup. You would have to notch a small part of one of the brackets but nothing major.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Is that a fixed displacement sanden compressor?
Is the spacing specific for LSA pulleys, or can it fit the f bod/gto, or truck accessory spacing?

Originally Posted by CBM Motorsports
And here it is on a LSA blower setup. You would have to notch a small part of one of the brackets but nothing major.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribed
Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What compressor are you using. Is this posted on your site?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Here's what I made for my LSA conversion........Used a SD-7 Sanden Compressor with a turnbuckle as shown........Interesting side note!!!.........I was able to use the stock ZL1 compressor belt.....But, after a couple hundred miles it started to shred itself into pieces.......I thought I had an alignment issue......But after talking to a GM Engineer I was told that the stock belt is a stretch to fit belt and was designed to work at a very specific stretch ratio.........I bought a aftermarket Goodyear belt and 7000 miles later it still looks brand new...........Hope that info might help someone out later

Ken
Old 12-21-2014, 05:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by garys 68
Is that a fixed displacement sanden compressor?
Is the spacing specific for LSA pulleys, or can it fit the f bod/gto, or truck accessory spacing?
I am pretty sure it is a SG7 compressor as pictured above. It is a standard fixed displacement compressor. None of that variable speed nonsense. It is a new product for us (don't even have prices yet but soon) and it is not on our site either. As for now, it is on the Corvette belt line. We will have a Camaro style out next and then possibly a truck. This can be modified (as we have tried) to fit a Camaro belt line. Any one who is interested, PM me and I will come up with a price.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Alright, for anyone interested in the low mount A/C kit, it is now available. PM for pricing. Corvette belt line only as of now.

(can be modified to fit Camaro/GTO beltline / AKA drilling different holes)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

More pictures as requested

The bracket itself (for some reason it is posting up side down)

This is what you need to modify to fit the LSA brackets. Normal Corvette brackets will not need to do this.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful in it's simplicity. If they had been available earlier, they would have been on both my LS swaps.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

I got the bracket and it looks great. It looks like I would have to move my motor mount back about an inch to an inch and a half to clear but I think if I do that it may come in contact with the header. Im kinda at a loss on what to do.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default Acc

AlanGrooveconcepts has a vette lowmount FWIW
www.alangrovecomponents.com/LS.htm p.n. 144R A.C.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cwylie
I got the bracket and it looks great. It looks like I would have to move my motor mount back about an inch to an inch and a half to clear but I think if I do that it may come in contact with the header. Im kinda at a loss on what to do.
An alternative for you might be to use a 4th-gen Camaro mount on the side of the engine and build a custom mounting bracket up from the subframe to support it. The 4th gen mounts are basically an upside down version of the clamshell mounts used with the Hooker engine brackets. You can just cobble something together in the car that provides the basic geometry and then build a simple fixure off of the part once you remove it so you can bench-build a nicer looking piece.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Teching In

I have just gotten 1 of cbm mounts it looks great however what block is used on the compressor thar will clear the turnbuckle

Quick Reply: Low mount A/C