Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g body 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g body 6.0

I have a 1987 Monte Carlo SS I'm swapping in a lq4 and 4l60e what are you g body guys doing for cooling fans whos using the brp motor mounts fuel system suggestions
Old 12-19-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech.
There is many options for fans. Most swappers elect to go the electric route. With that said, you can use aftermarket fans or find some fans out of another car. Popular options that fit well with slight fab/mods are 98-02 f-body fans or dodge intrepid fans. Check out turbobuick.com for some good write ups on the intrepid fans.

There are many options right now for mounts as well. The easiest, best product out right now is the new holley setup. Check out the thread in this section.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Don't even consider the BRP/Hedman kit from BRP. Not unless you want a lot of grief. Definitely go with the Holley/Hooker system. Ask me how I know. Better yet do a search of my posts. Rich
Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO BUICK
Don't even consider the BRP/Hedman kit from BRP. Not unless you want a lot of grief. Definitely go with the Holley/Hooker system. Ask me how I know. Better yet do a search of my posts. Rich
I've got to agree, I've done a lot of research on g body swaps and the Holley/ Hooker stuff is the nicest most complete setup available.

For the fuel system get a tank and sending unit to either a Buick GN or a 4.3 TBI Monte Carlo, add any name brand 225 or 340 lph intank pump, and run it to a Corvette filter/regulator. I'd make all of the lines out of hardline and nylon with one of these kits.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urr-kp1200/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-300/overview/
Old 12-20-2014, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Fry, I have the LS376/480 engine already in, Finishline 4L70E, Mosher 9" rear with the Wavetrac differential and 35 spline axels. The A******s at Hedman are busting my B***s. My right side header was sent back to Hedman July 7th because it was about 2 1/2" lower than the left side. Certified letter and pictures were sent on numerous occasions. All unanswered. In the meantime the car is tied up on my lift since July 7th. You can see why I am pissed. Georgia department of Consumer Protection sent the C.E.O. of Hedman (Bob Vandergriff Jr.) a letter after they received my complaint/file. He even refused to answer their letter. I am not done yet with my options which I don't want to mention here. No sense in giving them advance notice. If I knew how to post pictures here I would. In the meantime I will make it a point to steer everyone with a G Body to go with the Holley/Hooker setup. The only thing holding me up is the right side header that they have. Every chance I get I will hit BRP/Hedman in the pocket until they get this resolved to my satisfaction. I definitely am going to learn how to post picture on the forums. Rich
Old 12-20-2014, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Fry_;18580800]I've got to agree, I've done a lot of research on g body swaps and the Holley/ Hooker stuff is the nicest most complete setup available.

For the fuel system get a tank and sending unit to either a Buick GN or a 4.3 TBI Monte Carlo, add any name brand 225 or 340 lph intank pump, and run it to a Corvette filter/regulator. I'd make all of the lines out of hardline and nylon with one of these kits.

I am using a GN tank with the Racetronix 340L pump and their Hot Wire kit. Again all this is already installed. Rich
Old 12-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Definitely do a ton of research before you do the swap, I'm going with a dual electric fan assembly from a 2001 Dodge Intrepid. It fits almost perfectly on the g-body radiators, just had to fab a mounting bracket for the bottom. There are other options for fans, some go with an assembly from a Lincoln or an older model Ford Taurus. Not the best picture but here's what mine look like

Old 12-20-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO BUICK
I am using a GN tank with the Racetronix 340L pump and their Hot Wire kit. Again all this is already installed. Rich
Racetronix makes a quality product but make sure you buy it from a vendor that can give you good customer service and support because getting it directly form Racetronix may make you want to pound your head against a wall.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
Racetronix makes a quality product but make sure you buy it from a vendor that can give you good customer service and support because getting it directly form Racetronix may make you want to pound your head against a wall.
thanks i will think again about brp what is a good torque converter to use i have the tsp torquer v.2 cam any links to hooker swap do they have a g body kit or do i need to peice it together
Old 12-20-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 87AeroMC
thanks i will think again about brp what is a good torque converter to use i have the tsp torquer v.2 cam any links to hooker swap do they have a g body kit or do i need to peice it together
The Hooker system of components is designed to allow you to put together your own "kit" based on your preferences and needs. There are too many combination possibilities to allow us to package kits (28 individual part numbers available).
Old 12-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Teching In

good looking intrepid fans dyno. for the op you can also try some 98-02 fbody e-fans they look good and fit pretty slick on alot of applications
Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using the GN tank with Racetronix pump/sender.

For fan I'm using a single speed Ford Taurus fan. It's been on a few cars now and just keeps ticking. Not bad for $40 from a junkyard 12 years ago!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up going with an Fbody radiator and fan setup couldn't beat the price and I figure if it keeps my firebird cool enough it should be just fine in my cutty.

Last edited by jtotheizzo; 12-22-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jtotheizzo
I ended up going with an Fbody radiator and fan setup couldn't beat the price and I figure if it keeps my firebird cool enough it should be just fine in my cutty.

looks good what hoses are you using
Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

It actually looks better than that. I swapped the above pic out with a better one.

The upper hose is an upper for a 02 silverado that has been cut down. I haven't gotten a lower one yet it is on my list this week. That piece that is on the lower is the piece I cut off the upper. Worst case I will just get another upper and cut it to be the lower.

Edit: For the lower I ended up with a Gates 22617 - I think it is actually for a KIA or something. But after trimming it at both ends it was perfect.

Last edited by jtotheizzo; 12-28-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

For a lower radiator hose, gates 20734 gave me a pretty good fit on my conversion. I think it was about 10$ at autozone.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Teching In

double post

Last edited by TheyCallMeSkip; 12-29-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
I will second this... their stuff is awesome, but trying to talk to them sucks!! Every time I have got ahold of em on the phone, the person on the other end is arrogant and acts like I am bothering him to answer my questions. They would rather sell thru a dealer and not deal with people direct, but I as most other people would rather get my info directly from the source.

Quick Reply: g body 6.0