Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Nova LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Nova LS1 swap

Ive been lurking on here for about a week. Been reading about the swap ever since I scored a 1999 Z28 convertible. That car went into the median through a cable barrier on the interstate. The owners son lost interest after buying it back from the insurance company. The mom said this car has been sitting for 2 years and I want my garage back. The car that the LS1 will be going into is a 74 Nova I bought for about $400 about 15 years ago as a roller. It even had a brand new painless wiring harness in it. I was in the middle of building up a 383 when life got in the way, mainly a divorce. Now Im back in my old house with my 3 car "man garage" and getting back in the swing of things.

1974 Nova. That's my 77 F250 in the background. My other project

Donor Z28. Parting it out to offset the build.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like alot of fun
Old 12-27-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Donor car dont look to bad, I would be tempted to fix it and get another motor for nova. Nova looks to be solid car.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Teching In

The Camaro isn't that bad, but I've never been a big fan of them past 3rd gen. Plus I don't have time to take on a 3rd project. Most of the bodywork on the convertible needs replaced, though I got two new quarters, new bumpers, and new rear trim panel when I bought it. I'd be more than willing to get rid of the entire car minus motor and trans if someone responds to my Craigslist and wants it all.
The Nova is pretty solid. At one time someone welded in replacement floorpans and there is some bondo work in the quarters. The trunk weatherstripping rail will need repaired at some point. The inner lips are pretty bad. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

UPDATE: Got a email from Jegs saying my new camshaft will be delivered today. Im installing a ASA cam and new valve springs while the motor is still in the donor car so Im assured that its all running properly before I pull it out.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a good idea to do cam in car even tho probably wouldnt give trouble. I pu my 5.3 in stock do to money not available for it. You may run into header/manifold steering box fitment when going into nova. mine front steer I had to put smaller pulley on steering pump for clearance.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Teching In

I'm hoping that I will get enough information off here to avoid much in the way of fitment issues. Right now I'm am thinking the hooker headers with their motor plates. The headers seem to offer the most ground clearance from what I've read. I had initially thought of using Dirty Dingos sliders with Bow-tie Overdrives adjustable transmission mount, but it sounds like the hooker mount drops the engine down some and that also improves the angle on the header collector to improve exhaust system clearance. As far as my steering box I put in a rebuilt 3rd gen IROC fast ratio box.

If I had to pay what I see the LS1 motor and trans packages going for on Ebay I wouldn't have been able to afford the cam swap, but as it is I'm still under what the cheaper packages are even with the cam and valve spring purchase. If I'm lucky I may actually break even on the motor and tranny and make some profit parting out the car to offset, headers, cam, oil pan, motor plates, drive-shaft, and wiring harness costs.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the 74 the same configuration as 70 nova & 1st gen camaro in the front subframe area?
Ill be honest as I went through all this trying to use different oil pans and plates.
I used an Fbody oil pan like whats on your donor car but it was tight fit but I couldn't get an LS tranny in without hitting the floor pans & the pan will hit the center steering link on turns, A nova is worse ive heard on the floor pan area.
A V pan can work but may hang just a bit but I was determined to get an Fbody to work but finally gave up on it & sold the V pan without trying any more.
I ended up buying the hooker swap kit using their plate/mount setup.
I also bought the holly oil pan they recommend for this swap as there are two holly pans.
I have a lot of room all around for everything.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Is the 74 the same configuration as 70 nova & 1st gen camaro in the front subframe area? .
Yes, 68-74 are the same. 75 they switched to front steer subframe similar to 2nd gen Camaro.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Some subtle differences in the 73 and 74. GM went to clamshell mounts. So thats different. Hookers kit says it will work with 2nd gen Novas through 1974. I think I may have to modify the Energy suspension mounts I already have. I think they may be a slight bit wider than the ones Hooker recommends for the LS swap plates. Someone on here used the Energy Suspension ones and modded them a little bit. I cant remember who's build up I read than on. He had lots of pictures and those help. I plan to do the same so my build will be able to help anyone attempting the same thing. I'm planning on using the Autokraft pan because when its finished I want to autocross and track day the car. Its not cheap but fully baffled with kickouts.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Is the 74 the same configuration as 70 nova & 1st gen camaro in the front subframe area? .
Yes, 68-74 are the same. 75 they switched to front steer subframe similar to 2nd gen Camaro. The Hooker complete kit seems to bethe way to go if you don't want to fab anything.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Teching In

I got my ASA cam from Jegs today. The valve springs were back-ordered.

ASA cam and Cleco pliers.

I worked on the Camaro some today getting ready for the cam swap. Ive been using the cam swap article on ls1howto.com to walk me through it. Its pretty clear and concise. It sucks trying to get to the rear of the engine in the Camaro engine bay. Cant wait to have more room in the Nova.

Hi-tech valve train organizer not required

Heres a pic of the Nova engine bay

I had sandblasted the upper lower control arms and painted them with POR-15, but I had some storage difficulties this summer and the Nova and my F250 sat in the weather for probably 6-7 months. All the control arm bushing have been replaced with Energy Suspension poly ones and new ball joints installed. The steering is pretty much all new Federal Mogul from side to side. The brakes are a Stainless Steel Brakes front disc conversion. The Frame mounts were taken apart and sandblasted and Por-15 on the top and powder-coated on the bottom half of the clam-shell. I can't remember why that was done since those parts were fixed years ago. They have Energy Suspension Poly mounts installed
Old 12-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using the Holley/Hooker system as well on my 74.
I have the mounts, pan and transmission cross member. If you get a chance register over at Stevesnovasite.com they have a great site with a lsx forum as well.

Quick Reply: 1974 Nova LS1 swap