Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to install a 2006 5.3 in a 86 Sierra

Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to install a 2006 5.3 in a 86 Sierra

I recently bought a 5.3 with a 4l60e tranny and I have computer for it and all I want to install it in my 86 Sierra does anyone no wat I have to do to install it? Has anyone on here done it and can u give me some tips?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are in luck. Todd and Hooker is doing this swap kit right now. Follow it and contact him if you have questions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1762346-new-hooker-73-87-gm-truck-ls-swap-system-preview.html

Else do some research on other similar swaps. It will become much clearer and then ask your questions on a smaller based area or subject.

You will get better answers other than to go buy a swap book... cause what your asking as a question would take too long to answers cause there are to many DEPENDS that your not giving at this time.

go luck and start a build thread.
BC
Old 12-30-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you didn't say what you bought for the extra parts needed. you can use a 87 gas tank as it was first year injected and get rite pressure pump to fit in. you need the gas pedal, tach box and harness, pcm. get all accessory stuff. you can run radiator if its for automatic already. if not wanting to do 87 tank do a corvette pump/ filter combo. good luck
Old 01-01-2015, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Daily driver?
Power level?

You'll need some sort of conversion mounts like CarShop adapter plates. Either standard or 1" setback.
Also a transmission crossmember.

You could buy headers or stock truck exhaust manifolds might fit that chassis.

What might be beneficial is to ask a specific question regarding the exact step in your build process.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Way to many variables in that general question.

I did an 06 LH6 in my 85 C-10, wasn't to tough. But I did things maybe different than you would want...causing different answers.

I used an 87 sending unit and did the big walbro pump, and AN line for pressure and return lines.

I did my own harness and made it a stand alone, and all my gauges are autometer.

motor plates are unknown brand, put motor 1" back, so I made a bracket for trans crossmemember that lifted it up and back. I still retained my stock driveshaft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do I need to install a 2006 5.3 in a 86 Sierra