Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SN95 mustang brake switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default SN95 mustang brake switch wiring

So I have a BP automotive harness that needs a 12V signal when the brake is applied (to unlock converter). The brake switch on the car (95 mustang) is 12V when the brake is NOT applied and 0V when the brake is applied, exactly the opposite of what I need. Is there any device that can be installed to flip-flop these values so I don't have to install a different brake switch?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most use a simple normally closed relay circuit to run this. put power to the coil with your brake switch and it opens the contacts. about $2 in parts. Steve
Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EFIHARNESS
Most use a simple normally closed relay circuit to run this. put power to the coil with your brake switch and it opens the contacts. about $2 in parts. Steve
Hell ya! A 2 dollar solution, thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

So after driving the car for a couple of months I figured it was time to address this issue.
First, my initial post above is incorrect. The brake switch on the mustang is normally open. One side of the switch is a constant 12v, the other side is 12v only when the brake is applied.

Second, the signal wire to the ecu needs a constant 12v and should open (0V) when the brake is applied.

So, how do I accomplish this? Can it be done with a simple relay? If so, I'm stumped. I guess wiring a simple relay either isn't the answer or its above my pay grade.

Here's what I have to work with, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails SN95 mustang brake switch wiring-20150530_171956.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boostnut
So after driving the car for a couple of months I figured it was time to address this issue.
First, my initial post above is incorrect. The brake switch on the mustang is normally open. One side of the switch is a constant 12v, the other side is 12v only when the brake is applied.

Second, the signal wire to the ecu needs a constant 12v and should open (0V) when the brake is applied.

So, how do I accomplish this? Can it be done with a simple relay? If so, I'm stumped. I guess wiring a simple relay either isn't the answer or its above my pay grade.

Here's what I have to work with, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pin 30 12v
Pin 87a to ecu
Pin 85 to brake switch hot when braking
Pin 86 ground

This will give you 12v when driving and 0 volts when pushin brakes.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Got it, thanks.

Found this while waiting for a reply. Mocked it up and it looks like another option. Problem solved, thanks again ls1tech.
Attached Thumbnails SN95 mustang brake switch wiring-brake-relay.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Update: Everythings wired up. Took it for a test drive and...... it made no difference what-so-ever. I've been driving the car without the brake pedal/tcc connection for about 700 miles. I thought the tc had been locking but everything I read said it wouldn't lock without this connection.

Is there another input that the 411 ecu needs to control tc lockup on a 4L80E? FWIW, on the highway the tc does not unlock when you tap the brake (with some throttle applied simultaneously).

Quick Reply: SN95 mustang brake switch wiring