Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 cutlass ly6/4l80/s60

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
As for the body, I'm torn part of me wants to lower it and take off all chrome, black out bumpers etc. or just fix paint and keep it stock
Beautiful 83' Calais. I really like the stock look. I had a blue 82' hardtop set up exactly the same way. Those BF Goodrich tires are my tire of choice but with 500 hp they are only good for car shows and cruising. You will need a pair of drag radials for track day. With your power level you will need to strengthen the control arm mounts (see link below) I'm curious what your ET will be.

http://jtracecraft.com/G-body_180100.html

Last edited by L92 OLDS; 03-26-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Oh ya. Runs mint. The tune from mastmotorsports was spot on . That why I went the route I did. It was all plug and play. They used to sell this exact set up as a package. I'm currently waiting for a trans controller as my first one was defective. It would not go into 3 rd gear under any kind of load, would not power down etc. As for the body, I'm torn part of me wants to lower it and take off all chrome, black out bumpers etc. or just fix paint and keep it stock
You're build time has been really short overall, that's awesome. I would leave that body stock trim and all as you don't see them in that condition very often anymore and I think you will have more value in the car down the road than if you stripped it down.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
jimmyg doesn't have the shield because his car isn't the 442 model but your Monte Carlo SS car should have it. It protects the fuel lines where the hard lines connect to the rubber hose. It's a good idea for any G body with dual exhaust and factory fuel lines.

Since this is a safety concern I'm asking the question to compare the hooker system to the factory dimension.

jimmyg, I like your build. Sorry to hijack. I can move this discussion to the hooker thread if needed....
The heat shield you mention is/was not present on our Monte Carlo SS. If you can take a photo of it for me I should be able to get a point of reference from which to take a measurement of clearance for you.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The heat shield you mention is/was not present on our Monte Carlo SS. If you can take a photo of it for me I should be able to get a point of reference from which to take a measurement of clearance for you.
I've collected a few extras over the years from parts cars because they are one of the many things that make a VIN 9 car unique. This one is from a 87' MCSS.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I've collected a few extras over the years from parts cars because they are one of the many things that make a VIN 9 car unique. This one is from a 87' MCSS.

I'll need to see a photo of where it's attached to the car so I have a point of reference.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful 83' Calais. I really like the stock look. I had a blue 82' hardtop set up exactly the same way. Those BF Goodrich tires are my tire of choice but with 500 hp they are only good for car shows and cruising. You will need a pair of drag radials for track day. With your power level you will need to strengthen the control arm mounts (see link below) I'm curious what your ET will be.

http://jtracecraft.com/G-body_180100.html
Thanks for the link I'm thinking those and an anti roll bar. I just don't know how much rubber I can put under it with out a frame notch.Yes it is a great looking car . It's never been painted ! It was owned by a gm fanatic.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers

Thanks for the link I'm thinking those and an anti roll bar. I just don't know how much rubber I can put under it with out a frame notch.Yes it is a great looking car . It's never been painted ! It was owned by a gm fanatic.
Where did you get the headers? Love the build I'm putting a 5.3 in my dad's 65chevelle and I also working on my 79 malibu installing a 4.8
Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigdaddy1964
Where did you get the headers? Love the build I'm putting a 5.3 in my dad's 65chevelle and I also working on my 79 malibu installing a 4.8
I used the whole hooker system . Mounts, crossmember, 17/8 long tube ceramic headers 3 in stainless exhaust. Made install a breeze. I had motor and trans in in 45 min. I love malibus post some pics
Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is that the holley ac bracket? and did you have to buy a seperate mounting kit? I see it on ebay $140
Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it's a holley Ac bracket on pass side and a modified truck bracket on dr side. You have to buy the correct spacer kit according to what water pump and crank pully your running.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last edited by jimmyg; 04-03-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

First time I had the car out. It's not finished ,but I couldn't resist throwing the seat in it and taking it for a ride
Old 04-03-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ya. Runs mint. The tune from mastmotorsports was spot on . That why I went the route I did. It was all plug and play. They used to sell this exact set up as a package. I'm currently waiting for a trans controller as my first one was defective. It would not go into 3 rd gear under any kind of load, would not power down etc. As for the body, I'm torn part of me wants to lower it and take off all chrome, black out bumpers etc. or just fix paint and keep it stock
KEEP IT STOCK...SUPER NICE CAR
Old 04-03-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tta656
KEEP IT STOCK...SUPER NICE CAR
Yes I probably will keep it stock but it needs more rubber in the rear. Maybe 15 in ssii or I really like ccw classics but I don't think they will look good with the chrome
Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

keep the chrome as not many cars went to to much plastic crap. Yes lighten the weight of cars trying to get mpg up, but dont help with looks of car.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm trying to fig out what wheels will look good with all the chrome. Want to put at least 15 in wheels on it. My original idea was ccw classics 18 in black with aluminum lip.maybe ssiii chrome 15 in? Open to suggestions chrome irocs? I love the stock rims but they are 14s
Old 04-05-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont classic industries have a rally out in bigger size in aluminum.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

I'm trying to fig out what wheels will look good with all the chrome. Want to put at least 15 in wheels on it. My original idea was ccw classics 18 in black with aluminum lip.maybe ssiii chrome 15 in? Open to suggestions chrome irocs? I love the stock rims but they are 14s
If your looking into suggestions look at the Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels. I put them on my 1987 Buick T-type and love them. Actually I bought them for my wifes 1987 Buick GN but I confiscated them for awhile until I get the same wheels for my T-type. These would look REAL SHARP on a black car. Good luck in your quest for some wheels. Rich
Old 04-06-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TURBO BUICK
If your looking into suggestions look at the Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels. I put them on my 1987 Buick T-type and love them. Actually I bought them for my wifes 1987 Buick GN but I confiscated them for awhile until I get the same wheels for my T-type. These would look REAL SHARP on a black car. Good luck in your quest for some wheels. Rich
Those are really nice . what about gta wheels? They sell them aftermarket now for $200 a piece the street lites will look good with my brakes though. What size did u put on the gn?
Old 04-07-2015, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Those are really nice . what about gta wheels? They sell them aftermarket now for $200 a piece the street lites will look good with my brakes though. What size did u put on the gn?
jimmyg, I never did get to put them on my wifes GN because I snagged them temporarily for my 87 T-type. I put the Wilwood brakes all around with the Red calipers and I myself think they look great. When I get the funds which should be fairly shortly I am going to get the same wheels for my T-type. For her GN I went with 17" X 8" with 4 1/4" Back Spacing all around with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Now when I get the Billet Specialties wheels for my T-type I am going to get the Street Lite wheels in 17" X 9.5" with 4 3/4 Back Spacing with the 275/40R17 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial S/S tires for the rear that they are just about ready to release as the regular ET Street Radial is being discontinued. Now as far as the GTA wheels go they are the same wheels that are on the 1987 Buick GNX which I also have. They look pretty nice since the car is Black but I really do not cherish cleaning them because of the mesh type that they are. I do prefer a little bling on a Black or even my T-type which is a darker gray. If you would like to see these wheels on a G Body send me a PM with your Email and I can send you pictures of both the GNX & the Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels. I don't really know how to post the pics on a forum otherwise I would do so. Then you can get an idea as to which you yourself like. Oh by the way I LOVE your Cutlass. It is in beautiful condition. I have also been following your thread. It is looking good. Smart choice on going with the Hooker/Holley kit as I am having a big dispute with BRP and the Hedman headers. They have had my right side header since JULY 11th of 2014. Long story there. This is why my T-type isn't done yet. I really can't say anymore because I don't like to let the enemy know what the strategy of attack is going to be. Good luck with your project and let me know if you want some pics of the wheels. Rich

Quick Reply: 83 cutlass ly6/4l80/s60