Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 2002 Mustang to do a LSX swap-have a lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just picked up a 2002 Mustang to do a LSX swap-have a lot of questions

I just picked up a 2002 mustang to do a LSX swap. Never done anything like this before so I got alot of questions and I could your advice.

Like what transmissions will fit, what upgrades to the rear axle, both diff, axles, c-clips, suspension. What front suspension, what brake upgrades, what headers, etc, etc, .......

This is gonna be a street car at first-just something mild around 850 horse for now with a Little T-trim then I'll turn it up when I get bored.

Just need to know who's parts bin and catalogues to start buying.

TIA
Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Transmissions: Almost anything: Glide, Turbo 350/400, 4L60e, 4L80e, etc.
Rear axle: you're keeping your stock ford 8.8 rear so nothing needs to be done unless it breaks.
Front suspension: K-member for the swap (AJE, Dynatech, Team Z, others)
Brakes: no upgrade needed
Headers: Dynatech, kooks, hedman

You can check out my build thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...minator-c.html

You can use your factory ford A/C and power steering if you use brackets like I made. I will be selling a more-refined version of what is in my build thread. I will also be doing a billet alternator bracket similar to the one I used.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:05 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tvanlant
Transmissions: Almost anything: Glide, Turbo 350/400, 4L60e, 4L80e, etc.
Rear axle: you're keeping your stock ford 8.8 rear so nothing needs to be done unless it breaks.
Front suspension: K-member for the swap (AJE, Dynatech, Team Z, others)
Brakes: no upgrade needed
Headers: Dynatech, kooks, hedman

You can check out my build thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...minator-c.html

You can use your factory ford A/C and power steering if you use brackets like I made. I will be selling a more-refined version of what is in my build thread. I will also be doing a billet alternator bracket similar to the one I used.
Thanks so much for your help!!!!

That build looks awesome!!!

I'm going be using the same engine combo that was used in my C5 but probably a smaller T-trim for now. So where your Alternator is bolted is wear my blower is bolted.

I'll probably just ditch the AC and PS on this build.

The Mustang I picked up is a V6 so I need to find a 8.8 diff and beef that up or find a built one.

I'll probably have to bug you in the future for help!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

No problem. I did the whole swap start to finish in less than 3 months, so it's not nearly as clean as it will be.

I think you will run into trouble with a forward facing blower, if you are going to try to use a corvette setup. There isn't much room in front of the engine after the fan is installed. Also, not sure what engine you are going to use, but you'd have to switch to all corvette accessories.

I designed a bracket that is currently being made. It puts the blower on the driver's side and allows you to keep alt, A/C, and ford power steering. There's enough clearance to run as big as an F1C blower with no modifications:

Mustang LS swap procharger blower bracket - mock up

Old 01-09-2015, 10:41 AM
8 Second Club

No problem. I did the whole swap start to finish in less than 3 months, so it's not nearly as clean as it will be.

I think you will run into trouble with a forward facing blower, if you are going to try to use a corvette setup. There isn't much room in front of the engine after the fan is installed. Also, not sure what engine you are going to use, but you'd have to switch to all corvette accessories.

I designed a bracket that is currently being made. It puts the blower on the driver's side and allows you to keep alt, A/C, and ford power steering. There's enough clearance to run as big as an F1C blower with no modifications:

That looks awesome buddy!!!!

I'm going to run the same 365 combo that was in my Vette. Looking at your pics-there should be plenty of room.

Here is a pic on a stand and in my Vette.
Attached Thumbnails Just picked up a 2002 Mustang to do a LSX swap-have a lot of questions-hd-tensioner.jpg   Just picked up a 2002 Mustang to do a LSX swap-have a lot of questions-2013-07-28-17.49.14.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Thanks!

There's not as much room as it looks. The blower will most likely fit , but I think you might run into trouble finding a decent inlet that will fit
Old 01-09-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Thanks!

There's not as much room as it looks. The blower will most likely fit , but I think you might run into trouble finding a decent inlet that will fit
Please, correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a blower like that take 50+ HP at + 100% V.E. to run and a Turbo none. The parasitic drag factor keeps most from the blower set up.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 2002 Mustang to do a LSX swap-have a lot of questions