Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 swap mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ls1 swap mounts

I'm starting to collect parts to swap a LQ4 into a 1974 K5 Blazer and wondering what you guys think of these mounts?
http://kds-performance.com/
what other mounts have you guys used?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks to be a good made mount. better than the plates that accepts sbc engine mount I used. Plates I used made me move up frame mounts do to the thickness of plates. I say buy them and get going. post pics of progress.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Those looks very nice. I like the 1973 and later "clamshell" engine mounts. If KDS says they work in trucks and keep the engine in exactly the same location relative to the bellhousing location, I would go with that.

Andrew
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The method of design/construction is preferable to using swap plates, but they may not be your best choice overall based on what your complete swap goals are. What transmission crossmember are you planning on using?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

not sure just looking at the different options. The KDS mounts seem to be a better design than most of the plate adapters because the clamshell is already built into the adapter instead of having to bolt it onto the adapter plate. As for how strong it is I haven't seen enough pictures of it to know how it is reinforced.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cobra20
not sure just looking at the different options. The KDS mounts seem to be a better design than most of the plate adapters because the clamshell is already built into the adapter instead of having to bolt it onto the adapter plate. As for how strong it is I haven't seen enough pictures of it to know how it is reinforced.
You won't have any problems with their strength in my opinion and I like them far better than any swap plates. Where you may have issues with them is the resultant engine/tansmission inclination angles that come from their use unless the manufacturer can tell you what discrete degree angle they were designed to achieve when used with what specific crossmember. GM made many different engine side clamshell brackets with of varying heights and all were designed to work with the crossmember of each vehicle application to achieved the specified engine inclination angle, which is why I personally don't like the non-optimized engine elevations that come with using swap plates for installs. If you haven't noticed already, the Hooker engine swap brackets that are part of our upcoming swap system for 73-87 Chevy trucks used fixed ear geometry that is specifically matched to the Hooker crossmember for optimizing the engine inclination angle.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah the thing is as far as I know GM only made 2 different styles of clamshells, the short version for cars and a tall version for trucks. As for what version KDS designed their's around I don't know because I haven't asked them yet.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cobra20
Yeah the thing is as far as I know GM only made 2 different styles of clamshells, the short version for cars and a tall version for trucks. As for what version KDS designed their's around I don't know because I haven't asked them yet.
The BB and SB brackets were different on specific applications too, so it definitely gets a little convoluted we you consider someone can attempt to bolt any of these brackets to a set of swap plates and have a go at installing an LS in a particular car. I checked out his website and it listed the same brackets to fit a truck and a B-body I believe, so there's something amiss right there. They may work out fine, but you won't know until you set the engine in on them with the crossmember you intend to use and start measuring U-joint angles.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah well thankfully whatever mounts I go with will be test fitted with the body off of the frame so that makes things a lot easier.

Quick Reply: ls1 swap mounts