Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 swap in a 83 firebird duke

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 swap in a 83 firebird duke

I got a lq4 for free and im going to be buying the painless wire kit for it with computers
I have a 700r4 currently in the car (was converted to a carbed 355 before ..that blew so now ina lq4 it)
my question is will all ls1 parts fit the lq4 my biggest question is
are the lq4 and ls1 (minus bore size and crank stroke )
are they the same like cams and heads and flywheels valve covers pullys

also im looking to get 500to the wheels or go big and turbo it on low boost for around 650 hp to the wheels
and advice on this would be awesome

oh also new here ... hi.... been creepin on you guys forever figured I should finnaly join XD

Last edited by vaspen; 01-23-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you will probably be changing out truck intake for car intake for hood clearance. if you run a cable throttle body the kick down cable will connect up easier. I believe most of car accessories work/fit with something about drilling/tapping a hole for altonator bracket. need car oil pan/pick up tube, dipstick and tube.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

I'm planning to put an LQ4 in my 1984 Trans Am. I've been trying to research on here what to do since I'm new to the LSX world. Now I'm in the accumulating parts stage.
76larkman gave some good basic info to start. You'll need to upgrade your fuel system. I picked up a 4th gen tank to use with my swap since it should bolt right in. I'm also going to stay with drive by cable cause it will hook up to the existing pedal. You'll need to ditch the 700R4 - those trannys can't handle much power. Rear end will be the next weak link in the system.
I'm still trying to figure out how to handle the electronics. I hate wiring!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 AM

The 700r4 was supposed to be built up by outlaw transmission s or so the previous owner said
I've seen people just put the vortec cover on to clean up the intake (read that the ls intake was slightly worse just needs injectors upgraded)
But I now now I'll need dip tube, pan , pickup and accessorys ?
if I can get the 4l60 e? Tranny I'd drop that in
as far as the tanks go why would I want to use a 4th gen tank
for rears I will swap to a 4th gen disk conversion and buy a lsd or posi
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a truck harness for wiring. not terrible to make stand alone but time consuming. There is people on here running 700r4 trannys with no problem. If its been gone thru rite it will be fine unless its abused a lot. I don't think fuel system will be a big deal as later cars were injected up to 92 same body style. Different ways of accomplishing same result. LT1Swap.com has wiring info and can program computer.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vaspen
My '84 was a carb car. I want to run a turbo and prefer to have an in-tank pump instead of an inline pump. I picked up a complete 4th gen tank local for only $100. All the wiring & connections are there - I'll just need to upgrade the stock pump. Not saying you have to go this route but I'm thinking it will make my engine swap a little easier.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:31 PM

The car was originally a 4 cylinder iron duke a/t all the fuel injection stuff that would of been on it is gone
would a inline pump work ? Hooked up to the stock pickup tube ?
When it had the 355 all that had was a mechanical fuel pump
and painless kit comes with the ecu and tcu remaped with a pretty dang nice loom lol hence there name xD
Old 01-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by battmann
I'm planning to put an LQ4 in my 1984 Trans Am. I've been trying to research on here what to do since I'm new to the LSX world. Now I'm in the accumulating parts stage.
76larkman gave some good basic info to start. You'll need to upgrade your fuel system. I picked up a 4th gen tank to use with my swap since it should bolt right in. I'm also going to stay with drive by cable cause it will hook up to the existing pedal. You'll need to ditch the 700R4 - those trannys can't handle much power. Rear end will be the next weak link in the system.
I'm still trying to figure out how to handle the electronics. I hate wiring!
I did an LS swap into my '84 T/A. Here's a general link to it here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/240720...tiac-trans-am/

The 4th gen tank will bolt in but the neck it longer. If you have the plastic tank all you need to do is shorten the rubber hose. If it's a metal one then you have a little more work ahead of you.

Electronics aren't that difficult- plenty of info on this site, but one thing I will recommend is to remove the "fusable links" in your wiring harness (in engine bay). They aren't up to the increased electrical loads. Trust me- mine burnt out and left me stranded. I got rid of them and didn't have a problem since. You can replace with a higher amp fuse, or replace those wires altogether with stronger gauge so you don't overload them.

If you're not confident with modifying the wiring yourself I highly recommend sending your harness to a guy like John Speartech. He'll convert it to standalone set up, and label everything so all you have to do is connect things. I'm sure there are other vendors of equal quality, too. I have used him 2x now and have been happy with his work. They can reprogram the computer, too, calibrate the speedo, remove the VATS, emissions, etc..

Gauges- As you will see from my link I switched out the speedo and tach. only the speedo won't work if you go with a modern trans (electrical signal input) Tach will hook up the same, as will the volt meter and oil pressure. Only the fuel sender will be off as the newer LS uses a different ohm rating than the old 0-90 as in your '84. Again, plenty of info on this site to deal with this and multiple options, too.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The 700r4 was supposed to be built up by outlaw transmission s or so the previous owner said
I've seen people just put the vortec cover on to clean up the intake (read that the ls intake was slightly worse just needs injectors upgraded)
But I now now I'll need dip tube, pan , pickup and accessorys ?
if I can get the 4l60 e? Tranny I'd drop that in
for rears I will swap to a 4th gen disk conversion and buy a lsd or posi
Using a 4th gen tank in a 3rd gen f-body, especially an early one, is extremely beneficial as it provides an in tank electric fuel pump with the right pressure setting, and, if you get the plastic tank rust is no longer an issue. It bolts right up- the only thing you need to do is shorten the filler neck. With the plastic tanks there is a removable rubber neck section and trim it. 5 minutes later you're good to go.

One step further is if you get the fuel lines and wiring from the 4th gen donor car you can connect these, too. The fuel lines itself will need minor modification to fit, but 90% of it is a direct fit. With a little work you can set it up like factory and it'll make for easy servicing later on.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:35 PM

The wires in the car are toasted as far as the insulation being dry-roted the car will be a bare shell before anything is started I need to fix floor pans and inner rockers lastly the wheel wells need a touch up so all current wires are being yanked for a fresh start
Old 01-27-2015, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

The wires in the car are toasted as far as the insulation being dry-roted the car will be a bare shell before anything is started I need to fix floor pans and inner rockers lastly the wheel wells need a touch up so all current wires are being yanked for a fresh start
sounds like your project is at the same stage as mine. i'll need to start a build thread at some point, but not sure if i should put it on LS1tech, thirdgen.org or both. here's what mine currently looks like:

Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 AM

Yep all wires shall be gon and I like your rims so much I have a pair too :p I also have the 89 ones like that
Although I'm waiting on warmer weather First haha
kinda wondering what to use for a tac as my Speedo is fine with the700r

Quick Reply: lq4 swap in a 83 firebird duke