Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand alone wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stand alone wiring harness

Who would you guys suggest for a stand alone engine wiring harness? My engine I have is a LQ4 from a 2000 Silverado 2500 and I'm looking for a 4L80E to put behind it.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

There are several sponsors that offer excellent harness kits.

Andrew
Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah that's why I asked what people use I was thinking of going with LS Performance Wiring however it seems that it takes forever for him to get stuff sent out.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Bp automotive
Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This forum is like a Nascar diver with multiple sponsors that all make the same thing. When you ask, you will get people recommending all of them. Speartech has been around the longest I think of them all, and I don't think I have ever seen anything negative about him. PSI and BP Automotive have come on the scene lately and have their followers as well. There are a couple others on the list as well lately, but I think those are the popular ones. So when you ask for recommendations, you will receive multiple people telling you to use any one vendor.
My recommendation to anyone looking for a harness... go with a well established company. Not some guy in his garage building harnesses in his underwear claiming the cheapest prices in town.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

While I haven't recieved my harness yet, I would say BP Automotive. Based only on Amazing customer service and contact! I sent out an email to several sponsors with what I needed and wanted for my project. Bill was the only one to contact me with questions to make sure what I got would be what I needed. I have no doubt Bill will be there if I need help or info during the install or anytime after that.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

you wont beat bills customer service (BP Automotive) His harness is perfect also, Very easy install with all the wires the correct length.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

My big thing is that I'm planning to put a LQ4 into my 1974 Blazer and when that is up and running find another LQ4 to put into my 1991 Suburban V1500 and then I have plans to try and build a square body extended cab with another LQ4 probably. So I want someone that will stand behind there product if or when I need help on the install or diagnosing any problems that may come up.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

PSI user here, great service/product and tech line friendly.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jones'n
This forum is like a Nascar diver with multiple sponsors that all make the same thing. When you ask, you will get people recommending all of them. Speartech has been around the longest I think of them all, and I don't think I have ever seen anything negative about him. PSI and BP Automotive have come on the scene lately and have their followers as well. There are a couple others on the list as well lately, but I think those are the popular ones. So when you ask for recommendations, you will receive multiple people telling you to use any one vendor.
My recommendation to anyone looking for a harness... go with a well established company. Not some guy in his garage building harnesses in his underwear claiming the cheapest prices in town.
We've (painless performance) been around for 25 years

To the OP, be sure to check out our harness. We just had a price drop on it, that one is now $625 and includes a free ecm reflash.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah Painless has been one I've been looking at, I've also been looking at the info on LT1Swap. The harness on my engine was so cut up that I just tossed it out so I've been trying to find a LQ4 harness that came with a 2wd 4L80E. I'm also trying to decide if I go with a cable throttle body or drive by wire.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Teching In

100% don't go with LS Performance wiring, review to come when my money is refunded.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

you can see my build thread for what i used. its one of the best available.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

I've used LSXharness.com He does a lot of add ons at no cost. ex I went to LS3 and bought all the extra conversion harnesses to make it work. Knock sensors now on side of block, map now in front, 5 wire MAF, injectors different plug and something else. He would have done it at no cost on the additions since he is already rewiring it all.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We carry harnesses as well. We can customize them any way you would like too. PM me what you got and what you need and I will get you a price!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally...I would like to hear from the guys the independantly do it ,there has to be some that do it with pride...arent we just taking a stock truck 5.3 harness and removing the pins and wires that are not used,then reprogramming the pcm to not throw codes or look for certain things..
or am i not getting it

i checked this out and like the pricing,,,dont need to sell any kids....
http://www.lsxharness.com/
Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tta656
Personally...I would like to hear from the guys the independantly do it ,there has to be some that do it with pride...arent we just taking a stock truck 5.3 harness and removing the pins and wires that are not used,then reprogramming the pcm to not throw codes or look for certain things..
or am i not getting it

i checked this out and like the pricing,,,dont need to sell any kids....
http://www.lsxharness.com/
Here's a couple of things to consider... For the most part, just looking at a harness be it from any vendor will look fairly similar to most people. However the differences are far beyond just looks. With a reworked harness you are getting something that is used. Leaving the window far more open for possible headaches down the road. Every day, I talk to people that don't understand wiring or they are afraid of messing with it. Yet, most of those people would rather save one or two hundred bucks now, to only having to deal with potential headaches later. That then is when you will find out the value of your harness and the company you got it from. Good luck getting tech support from a guy that does the harness in his basement. We took over 30k tech calls last year and some of those are from people in that situation. Unfortunately at that point we can't offer exact help, but we do what we can.

When building your engine you probably research everything you can and find only the best stuff. Generally when it comes to wiring, people are scared of it and just find the cheapest thing they can. This creates a negative feedback loop. Because then, with the cheaper wiring, they run into issues, further strengthening their belief that wiring is scary and they hate it.

I guess my point is, you pay for reassurance and confidence in the product. There are a few solid companies on here that make a new harness, ours included, that are well worth the price.

Sorry for the long read
Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlove
We've (painless performance) been around for 25 years

To the OP, be sure to check out our harness. We just had a price drop on it, that one is now $625 and includes a free ecm reflash.
Are you able to offer any harness customization? I really like the Bussmann box and DLC/SES light combo you offer. I would need additional length for the main ECU harnesses though.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alocker
Are you able to offer any harness customization? I really like the Bussmann box and DLC/SES light combo you offer. I would need additional length for the main ECU harnesses though.
We don't offer anything 'one off'. However we do offer extended length versions of some of our harnesses for an extra $50. They include an additional 4' in the main section of the wiring. This allows the ECU to be mounted near the center console.

LS1 version: http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/60509

Gen 3 truck version: http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/60218

Unfortunately we don't offer an extended length on the harness with the weatherproof bussmann fuseblock, though.

Quick Reply: Stand alone wiring harness