Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Monte/Fox/??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Monte/Fox/??

Hi All,

I'm new here but have been lurking around for years and have come to the best place I know of for a little advice. I'm looking into getting a summer car and of course it needs to be LS powered, but the draw back is it must be a 5 seater, hence the vehicles in the title.

So my question is what is my best option for a vehicle? The car wont be daily driven, needs to be a manual(6spd), will be mostly street driven but visit the strip and road course. I believe the fox body is alot lighter than the Monte and has better handling, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the help, interested to see everyones opinion
Budget
Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

With what you are after I would go with a Monte. There really isn't much room for 5 in a fox and i would much more want to semi daily a bigger more comfortable G-body. You would have to change less in a Monte and I think it would be a killer cruiser and occasional track brawler.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I have had 5 in my Formula, and I would say it fit 5 better than the fox did... The only this is the F-Bodies have bucket rear seats. I am assuming you are trying to fit 3 kids in the back? I personally love the Monte Carlo SS...

If you want a bit more room, why don't you buy a blown Typhoon and Ls Swap it? If my 4.3 pops, an LsX is going in without a doubt.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM

Yes I have 3 kids so a bench seat in the back is better, Is there actually 5 belts in the back of a camaro/Trans am? I would also like to stay with a car vs the s series trucks.

Can you make the G body out handle a fox body? Isn't the fox body alot lighter therfore faster and better handling?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Budget
Yes I have 3 kids so a bench seat in the back is better, Is there actually 5 belts in the back of a camaro/Trans am? I would also like to stay with a car vs the s series trucks.

Can you make the G body out handle a fox body? Isn't the fox body alot lighter therfore faster and better handling?
I am biased here especially since I think fox body's are ugly, lol. So I vote for a G body. The g body lsx swap is like the s10 v8 swap, so many damn companies and was to do the swap.

And yes you can make these cars handle great. Plenty of guys over on the monte forum with the pro touring setups or street handling setups. I would bet the fox weighs less, but thats what the engine is for......more of a excuse to go with a bigger badder motor, lol.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm sure the Fox would be lighter and handle better out of the box, but if I recall correctly, they're a 4 passenger car. even if you can get 3 kids in the back now (if it actually has 3 sets of belts), your kids are only going to get bigger, and will out grow a small car quicker than you think. Just my opinion, but I would go for a little bigger car, like the Monte.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:26 PM

Thanks guys,

I have been leaning towards the Monte as well, Im a die hard chev fan so was having a hard time picking the fox. Im going to look for 1 with the swap already done, running and driving. I dont have the time or space to tackle the swap myself, plus its cheaper to buy then build. A 6spd is a must and was curious if 525-550 n/a rwhp is posssible from a ls1? or better to start with the ls7?

Thanks again, lovin the responses
Budget
Old 01-25-2015, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Fox Bodies and F-Bodies only have 2 seatbelts in the rear. I think you are best off buying a Monte. I actually spent 3 hours looking at a Monte Carlo SS build over on Pro-touring... One is definitely on my bucket list!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by BullyDawg
Fox Bodies and F-Bodies only have 2 seatbelts in the rear. I think you are best off buying a Monte. I actually spent 3 hours looking at a Monte Carlo SS build over on Pro-touring... One is definitely on my bucket list!
Thanks Ill have to look at that build

Quick Reply: SS Monte/Fox/??