Sponsored by:

DBW Throttle Problem in LS2 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBW Throttle Problem in LS2 Swap

Hello everyone.

We have swapped and LS2 and manual transmission from a 2006 GTO into a 2nd Gen Camaro.

Everything is now installed and engine does fire up, VATS and other stuff disabled and no codes. Using the original wiring and ECM

The issue is that while in ignition, engine stopped, the blade on the throttle body opens completely, but while the engine is running it opens very little.

the throttle readings while engine stopped goes from 20 whitout touching the pedal, to 88 while fully depressed. When the engine is running, it stops in 40. and although the start-up reading is 20, the engine idles perfectly.

I'm thinking about a ground or other electrical issue or something in the computer blocking the throttle when the engine running, maybe something like a "limp" mode or still anti theft related.

any ideas welcome.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Dbw

When I went thru this (nightmare) with DBW the problem ended up being a mismatch between the TAC, APP and the tune. Mine came out of an 03 Trailblazer and I got the APP, ECU and TAC with it but would not work under load. Think it would go to limp and throw cone U0101. Ended up with an '05 APP and TAC which matched the tune. You may want to try different combos and see what works for you. I was able to borrow a TAC and APP and stumbled onto the solution.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 33willys
When I went thru this (nightmare) with DBW the problem ended up being a mismatch between the TAC, APP and the tune. Mine came out of an 03 Trailblazer and I got the APP, ECU and TAC with it but would not work under load. Think it would go to limp and throw cone U0101. Ended up with an '05 APP and TAC which matched the tune. You may want to try different combos and see what works for you. I was able to borrow a TAC and APP and stumbled onto the solution.
what's the "APP" ? (sorry, not familiar yet with the injected engines world)

Ok, the only thing "not from the car" is the ECM, a local electrician killed it so I got one from a 05 Monte Carlo. We were lucky enough to be able to read the original ECM before it was killed and did a "write complete" of those settings into the Monte Carlo unit.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To an extent that is correct. You'll want to change what PID you are logging if you want the exact throttle %.

APP (gas pedal) = GM.APP (this will show 100% as WOT when logged)

TB (what the TB is at) = GM.ETCTP (this will only show ~86% as WOT when logged)

I prefer to use GM.ETCTP when tuning, as it shows if the computer closes the TB. While APP will remain the same.

I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about it being 40.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V8Torrent
Hello everyone.

We have swapped and LS2 and manual transmission from a 2006 GTO into a 2nd Gen Camaro.

Everything is now installed and engine does fire up, VATS and other stuff disabled and no codes. Using the original wiring and ECM

The issue is that while in ignition, engine stopped, the blade on the throttle body opens completely, but while the engine is running it opens very little.

the throttle readings while engine stopped goes from 20 whitout touching the pedal, to 88 while fully depressed. When the engine is running, it stops in 40. and although the start-up reading is 20, the engine idles perfectly.

I'm thinking about a ground or other electrical issue or something in the computer blocking the throttle when the engine running, maybe something like a "limp" mode or still anti theft related.

any ideas welcome.
What Controller are you using? The 0411 or the E40 GTO ECM?

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-31-2015, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, the only thing "not from the car" is the ECM, a local electrician killed it so I got one from a 05 Monte Carlo. We were lucky enough to be able to read the original ECM before it was killed and did a "write complete" of those settings into the Monte Carlo unit.
Originally Posted by BP Automotive
What Controller are you using? The 0411 or the E40 GTO ECM?
I'm not aware of the 2005 Monte Carlo even being offered with a V8. I'd have to assume this is an PCM compatibility issue. As BP wrote above, the 2005-2006 LS2 GTO uses an E40 PCM.

Tipsy
Old 01-31-2015, 06:24 PM
Teching In

The pcm is an e40, same number as the original one from the GTO. And we loaded the old pcm Operating system into it.
A friend brought another PCM also from a GTO, also vats disabled and the response was the same.
I've read somewhere that you need to pair the pcm to the engine vin before it runs so it was bit of a surprise both did work. I tried to change the VIN into my PCM but it was not possible, but I know the O.S. From the old pcm is loaded as before we load it the engine didn't start.
I finally decided to skip the tuner and start doing this by myself and ordered a copy of HP Tuners.

Thanks for the information on the throttle.
When I say 40 I mean the reading instead of going from 20 to 88, as it does when the engine is not running, only goes from 20 to 40 when the engine is running. You can actually see the blade opening just a little bit
Old 01-31-2015, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Sorry, I meant 2006 Monte Carlo. There is an LS4 5.3 version and uses the e40 pcm
Old 02-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Well, seems this is an uncommon problem. I will start over with the electric system, check grounds and start fresh with the ECM file.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Teching In

a good update on this.

The engine is working great now

What I finally did was to forget about the current ECM setup (not done by me), and started fresh. Downloaded a stock tune from the HP Tuners database, and change the needed settings for the swap (disable VATS, EVAP, ABS, Sensors, etc, etc, etc).

Did a "write-complete" of this new file into my ECM and it worked like a charm. Now, it's time to start the engine tune, so start driving it and logging to make a better calibration for my setup.

The sad part is that using a file from the HP Tuners repository takes credits, but I'm still very happy about the results.

This is the second fire up with the new file, If you dont' understand spanish I just say it's the result of 5 minutes of messing with HP Tuners.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...73370799778590
Old 03-06-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend brought another PCM also from a GTO, also vats disabled and the response was the same...
a good update on this.

The engine is working great now

What I finally did was to forget about the current ECM setup (not done by me), and started fresh. Downloaded a stock tune from the HP Tuners database, and change the needed settings for the swap (disable VATS, EVAP, ABS, Sensors, etc, etc, etc).
Glad to hear you got it solved. But I'm curious why you had the same problem previously when you tried your friends PCM? Did you have two corrupted files?

Tipsy
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Glad to hear you got it solved. But I'm curious why you had the same problem previously when you tried your friends PCM? Did you have two corrupted files?

Tipsy
I'm also puzzled by this, but really doesn't matter anymore.

My friend hasn't still used that ECM as the car is being restored so we will know when he plugs it.

Quick Reply: DBW Throttle Problem in LS2 Swap