Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderbolt! My LS3 V8 Miata build

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Everyone, here's the latest update!

This time, I'm mating up the LS3 to the T56 and doing a final engine and transmission test fit to make sure all of the firewall and tunnel mods worked out well. After that we get to mocking up the V8 Roadsters frame rails and transmission crossmember. Once that is all done, out comes the engine/transmission and the modifications made are welded up for good. Thank you as always for watching and checking this stuff out!

If you'd like to see more pictures, a parts list and other stuff, check out my website: http://www.V8Mazda.com

The T56 Magnum Transmission Installation Kit from Chevy Performance.

The V8 Roadsters Clutch Master Cylinder Kit

The stock Mazda six speed manual next to the T56 Magnum. The Mazda trans is skinner in the midsection and has a much smaller bell housing. Oh and it weighs about half as much!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Tom,
Just watched Part #6. Great job as always. However, that bleeder kit uses a crush washer, which many people report to leak. I posted about this in my Cougar build thread.

Andrew
Hi Andrew and thank you for both the kind words and first hand experience with the bleeder setup. I'll check out your thread on this and talk to the V8R folks about it next week.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Underdog
Hi Andrew and thank you for both the kind words and first hand experience with the bleeder setup. I'll check out your thread on this and talk to the V8R folks about it next week.
Also, The 7/8" bore MC is probably too big. The LS7 clutch doesn't need a whole lot of travel at the spring fingers to achieve full release. I haven't measures exactly, but just based on my experience with my GTO, I'd say say all you need is .400". The LS7 clutch spring is actually similar in design (not exactly the same) as the dual disk clutch that you put in your DSM.

All I am saying is that you should do some testing to make sure that you are not over traveling the spring, which can result in weird clutch release issues. The clutch will actually start to engage once the spring is compressed past the point of optimal release.

If you want a proper fitting for the slave, shoot me a PM and I'll send you one.

Andrew
Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the next episode includes painting? Did you get your tranny from Tick or wherefrom?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

This has become one of my favorite builds on here. Excellent videos, clean car and clutter free work area. I like OPs style. LOL
Old 04-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Teching In

excellent as always!
Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you again gentlemen for the very kind words and advice! On that note...it's update time! This time around, we're sealing up our chassis mods and then laying down some much needed sound and heat protection.

As always, you can see lots more pictures and a complete parts list on my website at V8Mazda.com

After applying the seam sealer and doing some cleaning and scuffing, I added just a teeny bit of overspray protection.

The LizardSkin suite of sound deadening products. Don't quote me on this, but I believe they use 3-5 real Komodo Dragons per bucket.

I know man, I know. I was surprised to hear that too.

The first coat of sound control.

Behind the scenes!

Engine bay work complete!

All done! I also did the same in the trunk, trans tunnel and floor.

Thanks for checking all of this out, I appreciate it very much!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep us updated on how the second skin works. Id be real curious. I went the FatMat stick on route in a GTO. Ot worked OK but I never got to try spray on stuff
Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Default Lizard skin vs dynamat

I was curious about that myself. How it compares to the DynaMat type products.

Awesome project you have going on there
Old 04-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Keep us updated on how the second skin works. Id be real curious. I went the FatMat stick on route in a GTO. Ot worked OK but I never got to try spray on stuff
Will do sir! I wish I could compare them back to back somehow, but I'll definitely share how it works out.

Originally Posted by KilrMGBGT
I was curious about that myself. How it compares to the DynaMat type products. Awesome project you have going on there
Thank you sir, I'll share all of my thoughts after I get to try it out on the road!
Old 05-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Hi All, here's the latest! This time around, all of the chassis modifications are complete and reassembly can begin! Things are going to move pretty fast from here on out, so hang on!

More pictures and details can be found on my website at: www.V8Mazda.com

The chassis wiring harness is going back in!

Even with all of the labeling I did, the iPhone reference pictures really came in handy.

The engine and transmission mounted up for good! Also, the frame rails and crossmember have been set in place and are about to be bolted down or maybe I should say bolted up?

V8 Fuel Kit from Flyin' Miata. Every single thing needed to provide a complete tank to engine fuel system.

Thank you as always for checking out the video and pictures, things are moving along pretty good now!
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Holy crap. Not only do you spend countless hours on your attention-to-detail, you also have to adjust angles of the camera, splice videos, etc. Wow.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

watched the whole thing from the start. its awesome man. all your cars have been sick and your videos are really great. i loved your eagle talon that thing was quick. this build is going to sick when your finished. such a light car with an ls3 oh man this things gonna have *****!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I don't think the "bar" can be set any higher fir a miata LS swap.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

new vid tomorrow. can't wait.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Just wow. Amazing work.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

It's update time! I think this picture accurately captures the amount of work that happened in this video - with Stone Cold Steve Austin representing me and the guy getting The Stunner representing my task list. I've also posted a big pile of photos over on my website at: V8Mazda.com Thank you as always for checking this stuff out and I hope you enjoy it!

Before control arm re-restorificationingment.

After control arm derustment and paintification.

Flyin' Miata V-Maxx coilovers are very springy as you can clearly see.

V8 Roadsters Stage 2 Getrag axles and heavy duty hubs. Nice!

Care for a gander at my backside?

The Chevrolet Performance LS376/525 engine controller kit in all its wire-y glory.

Going to do my best to keep it cool under the Miata's little hood.

I got this...I think.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Holy crap. Not only do you spend countless hours on your attention-to-detail, you also have to adjust angles of the camera, splice videos, etc. Wow.
Thank you for recognizing that sir! Yes, setting up/adjusting camera angles, taking still photos, managing all of that, writing, editing, updating my website, etc. etc does add a shocking amount of time and complexity to the process, but sharing it with y'all is 100% worth it!

Originally Posted by allmotor1
watched the whole thing from the start. its awesome man. all your cars have been sick and your videos are really great. i loved your eagle talon that thing was quick. this build is going to sick when your finished. such a light car with an ls3 oh man this things gonna have *****!
Thank you for the very kind words sir and I'm glad you enjoy the videos! Yeah, the old talon was a great car and I definitely miss it. I appreciate your support!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I don't think the "bar" can be set any higher fir a miata LS swap.
Thank you sir, I appreciate that very much!

Originally Posted by mapleridge
new vid tomorrow. can't wait.
Thanks for looking forward to them!

Originally Posted by black02-z28
Just wow. Amazing work.
Thank you sir!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I envy the garage space and ability to buy all new parts!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Teching In

I am very much enjoying this video series.
Excellent work and I'm sure it'll be a blast to drive!

Quick Reply: Thunderbolt! My LS3 V8 Miata build