Sponsored by:

Thunderbolt! My LS3 V8 Miata build

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic Build!

I look forward to each new video

If you don't mind me asking, Where did you get your electrical fittings?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Why not convert to 5-Lug? Not criticizing just curious. Amazing work and attention to detail, top notch stuff.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Everyone, it's update time! In this go-round the bulk of the wiring work is completed, the radiator and heater hoses are plumbed, suspension and brake bits are installed and work begins on the exhaust system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQGWjzk-70

As per usual I have lots more photos and stuff over on my website at: V8Mazda.com Thank you as always for checking this stuff out and especially for the kind words!

Coffee- it's what has made this build truly possible. Gallons and gallons of coffee.

Shot of the wire and heater hose routing in progress.

Tiny LS engine or giant Lego man? You decide.

This is the V8 Roadsters Front Big Brake Kit. It's really nice.

Summit Racing makes/sells this universal exhaust builder kit. I used this as the foundation for my build. It has enough straight sections to build an exhaust that would run a good 20-30 feet past the Miata's rear bumper.

LS3 Miata Hovercraft mode

Tons and tons of noodling/cutting/test fitting was involved to get to this point.

I weld for lots of reasons- it's fun, it's challenging, it's rewarding...but above all that, it scares my neighbors, and you just can't put a price on that.

Section A, part 11-41C/9 of the exhaust. Sections B-Z, parts 11-42D/4 through 81-65B/2 will be seen in the next update if all goes as planned.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Also, The 7/8" bore MC is probably too big. The LS7 clutch doesn't need a whole lot of travel at the spring fingers to achieve full release. I haven't measures exactly, but just based on my experience with my GTO, I'd say say all you need is .400". The LS7 clutch spring is actually similar in design (not exactly the same) as the dual disk clutch that you put in your DSM.

All I am saying is that you should do some testing to make sure that you are not over traveling the spring, which can result in weird clutch release issues. The clutch will actually start to engage once the spring is compressed past the point of optimal release.

If you want a proper fitting for the slave, shoot me a PM and I'll send you one.

Andrew
Master bore will also depend on how much travel the rod has where he connectors it to the pedal.

IIRC the stock pedal with 3/4" has around 1" of travel ?

So if he has less pedal travel available a larger bore would be correct to move enough fluid.

Fairly sure I used 7/8" on mine and probably have near 1" travel too...though did that as with short legs when racing, wanted to make sure I always pushed pedal down enough even if it wasnt to the floor lol
Old 06-06-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Master bore will also depend on how much travel the rod has where he connectors it to the pedal.

IIRC the stock pedal with 3/4" has around 1" of travel ?

So if he has less pedal travel available a larger bore would be correct to move enough fluid.

Fairly sure I used 7/8" on mine and probably have near 1" travel too...though did that as with short legs when racing, wanted to make sure I always pushed pedal down enough even if it wasnt to the floor lol
Clearly our boy Tom here has it all figured out. LOL

Andrew
Old 06-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Sheesh guys, my apologies for the slow reply on you comments, I no longer get email notifications from this board for some reason. Anywho...

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I envy the garage space and ability to buy all new parts!
Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by xtrkestrel
I am very much enjoying this video series. Excellent work and I'm sure it'll be a blast to drive!
Thank you for the kind words!

Originally Posted by KilrMGBGT
Fantastic Build! I look forward to each new video. If you don't mind me asking, Where did you get your electrical fittings?
Thank you for the great support and I'm glad you enjoy the videos! They are from Ancor products, here's a link to their website: http://www.ancorproducts.com/en/products/terminals

Originally Posted by xxxPOPExxx
Why not convert to 5-Lug? Not criticizing just curious. Amazing work and attention to detail, top notch stuff.
Thank you sir! Miata's don't have a 5 lug option to convert to. They're not heavy cars and the four lug setup has proven to be reliable in harsh race environments. For example Flyin Miata successfully campaigned their V8 Miata in the Targa Newfoundland.

Clearly our boy Tom here has it all figured out. LOL Andrew
Regarding this topic, I can't take credit for figuring it out, it's the folks at V8 Roadsters. Their clutch master setup is in use in just about every LSx Miata conversion on the road with good results.

Thanks again for the great comments everyone, I appreciate it!
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

GUESS WHAT?! IT RUNS!

As always, I have lots more photos and details over on my website at: www.V8Mazda.com Thank you as always for checking this stuff out and especially for the kind words!

The first job to be done is to finish up the rear exhaust section. These Magnaflow mufflers were a great fit given the space available.

Here's the finished "front section" of the exhaust, I used V-bands at the back end so I can run a couple different muffler setups depending on my mood/day of the week/horoscope. Also, not pictured here are the V-bands that I ended up running up front. The slip fits were low profile, but were a future hassle waiting to happen.

The exhaust system is complete! These holes are where the horsepower noise comes out.

This universal Moroso Air/Oil Separator will keep the LS3 running clean.

Almost ready to start!

Want to test out your automotive scruples? Grab a drill, a hole saw and try this on for size!

The end result is quite nice though. I wasn't sure how I would feel about these, but I really like them.

Time to gas it up and go!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic work Tom! Congrats on getting it running.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, I jumped on the build at episode 4 or 5 and have anxiously awaited the first start and drive. Amazing work, I wish I had an ounce of the patience to exhibited throughout the build. Can't wait to see future builds!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats! And again, amazing work! Now you'll need to start another project to keep us all entertained! haha
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Very nice job on this!

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 06-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Fantastic work Tom! Congrats on getting it running.
Thank you sir, I appreciate that!

Originally Posted by Rogue Status
Congrats, I jumped on the build at episode 4 or 5 and have anxiously awaited the first start and drive. Amazing work, I wish I had an ounce of the patience to exhibited throughout the build. Can't wait to see future builds!
Well thank you for coming along with me! I'm not sure what's next (other than a break, haha) but I will be posting the next video update on July 3rd.

Originally Posted by bluezq8
Congrats! And again, amazing work! Now you'll need to start another project to keep us all entertained! haha
Haha! Well this has been an awesome journey that has taught me so much. Sharing it with everyone has been a blast too. FYI I'll be posting the final installment of the series on July 3rd. After that I'll post updates as I take it places, dyno test it, etc. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Very nice job on this!
Thank you Garrett! STOP MAKING ME THINK ABOUT NITROUS!! :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much time do you have in production for each episode? Must be enough to be a part time job!

20+ mins per episode is pretty long!

Whittling down my GoPro videos during autocrossing/drag racing takes forever!

What camera/video editing software do you use?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love the bad obsession mini cooper build, that little impersonation was spot on haha
Old 06-20-2015, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

AWSOME work. You nailed the exhaust tip placement IMO. I just wish I had enough spare cash you couldn't turn it down. LOL.

I am looking forward to your next installment !!!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Stunning work again! I like the "stock" looking engine bay the most. At least it looks like it came off the factory this way...
Old 06-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

I just watched every episode of your build. Love the attention to detail. I've always wanted to build a factory five cobra, but watching this kind of makes me want to go this route, or maybe an 240sx or something. Great job. Can't wait to see the next video. Hoping to see some 1/4 mile or auto cross action.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great job Tom, but that Moroso catch can sticks out like a sore thumb in your very OEM looking engine bay. I would bead blast it and then paint it flat black which will make it look like an OEM part. Or install one of these pro vents:

The above picture has two pro vents, you just need one obviously.

Andrew
Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
How much time do you have in production for each episode? Must be enough to be a part time job! 20+ mins per episode is pretty long! Whittling down my GoPro videos during autocrossing/drag racing takes forever! What camera/video editing software do you use?
Thanks man, yes it is very time consuming to say the least! Throughout this whole process, I usually get up at 3-4am and edit until it's time for work. I don't keep track of the time it takes per episode (in fear of my wife finding out, haha!) but it's substantial. The process of capturing video in the shop while working, transferring/managing that footage in the computer, planning each episode, writing the voiceovers, editing the footage, making/getting music, making graphics, updating my website, etc. ends up being a whole big dump truck full of work.

That said, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! Sharing the process with everyone has been so much fun and the encouraging support and kind words have been incredibly motivating throughout the build. I have met so many cool people from all around the world who love cars and are working on way cooler stuff than I am. I feel that same way when I come on these forums- I feel like my project is pretty run of the mill compared to the awesome stuff I see on here every day! In fact I wish more folks would make videos. For example, there is a guy building an LS3 powered Porsche Boxster on a different forum who whips up simple update videos and I love 'em!

Oh and for video cameras, I use a small handheld Sony HDR-CX camcorder, my iPhone and my Canon T4 SLR sparingly. I've got a few tripods too. For music I use Garageband (along with a dollop of my limited guitar/keyboard talent) and I use the latest version of iMovie for video editing.

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
I love the bad obsession mini cooper build, that little impersonation was spot on haha
Haha, thanks man! I threw that in there because I love their work and they have graciously promoted my videos for no reason, other than they enjoy them I suppose. I tell ya, every time I watch their videos I feel like I've witnessed a master class on fabrication and performance-oriented problem solving. I can't get enough!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
AWSOME work. You nailed the exhaust tip placement IMO. I just wish I had enough spare cash you couldn't turn it down. LOL. I am looking forward to your next installment !!!
Thank you sir, I appreciate you saying that! I worked really hard on the exhaust setup and even though it took lots of time, it turned out how I hoped it would. I'll be posting the next (and final) video of the build process on Friday, July 3rd- so I'll see ya then!

Originally Posted by Sike-o
I just watched every episode of your build. Love the attention to detail. I've always wanted to build a factory five cobra, but watching this kind of makes me want to go this route, or maybe an 240sx or something. Great job. Can't wait to see the next video. Hoping to see some 1/4 mile or auto cross action.
Thanks man, I appreciate that! Good luck with whatever path you choose and I think the bottom line is that sporty+lightweight+V8 is always a great combo! I'll be posting the final installment of this "build" series on Friday, July 3rd. It'll have some cool stuff in there but nothing too crazy yet, I'm still early on in the break-in process and such. Thank you again and I'm glad you enjoyed the videos.

Great job Tom, but that Moroso catch can sticks out like a sore thumb in your very OEM looking engine bay. I would bead blast it and then paint it flat black which will make it look like an OEM part. Or install one of these pro vents:The above picture has two pro vents, you just need one obviously.

Andrew
Thank you for the kind words Andrew and I don't disagree about that Moroso can sticking out. I wish I would've seen the pro vents sooner, they've got a great OEM look for sure! I'll definitely do something to tone down that Moroso can. I like the bead blast/paint idea- sounds like a winner to me. Oh and I think I posted in your build thread, but I love your car and appreciate the awesome pictures and detail that you take time to document, it's awesome!

Originally Posted by PT Nova
Stunning work again! I like the "stock" looking engine bay the most. At least it looks like it came off the factory this way...
Thank you for saying that man! I tried really hard to consider OEM placement for everything in the engine bay, as I love a purposeful/non flashy engine compartment. It's definitely tricky to do so when you have changed so much. I'll post the final video/pics of how it all turned out next Friday, so I'll see ya then!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The_Underdog

Thank you for the kind words Andrew and I don't disagree about that Moroso can sticking out. I wish I would've seen the pro vents sooner, they've got a great OEM look for sure! I'll definitely do something to tone down that Moroso can. I like the bead blast/paint idea- sounds like a winner to me. Oh and I think I posted in your build thread, but I love your car and appreciate the awesome pictures and detail that you take time to document, it's awesome!
Thanks Tom. Keep up the good work! I am sure you have several more episodes of the Miata build "in the can" and I look forward to them.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Thunderbolt! My LS3 V8 Miata build