Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice of 5.3 Foxbody

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice of 5.3 Foxbody

I'm thinking about doing a 5.3 swap in a foxbody and going turbo. I've read a lot of threads on people doing them, and for the most part it seems to be pretty straight forward. I'm trying to get some opinions from people that know and or have done one.

Is it worth the time and effort?
Is it not that difficult?

Seems like the biggest thing people run into is wiring issues.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by deonls1
I'm thinking about doing a 5.3 swap in a foxbody and going turbo. I've read a lot of threads on people doing them, and for the most part it seems to be pretty straight forward. I'm trying to get some opinions from people that know and or have done one.

Is it worth the time and effort?
Is it not that difficult?

Seems like the biggest thing people run into is wiring issues.
Budget has everything to do with it, a. How much will you be willing to spend on it? b. What is your skill level? IMO, a conversion wiring harness form one of the site sponsors like BP automotive, Painless or PSI vs. trying to re do one yourself and then that task is done, it's all new and much less prone to problems.

Last edited by 64post; 02-12-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 64post
Budget has everything to do with it, a. How much will you be willing to spend on it? b. What is your skill level? IMO, a conversion wiring harness form one of the site sponsors like BP automotive, Painless or PSI vs. trying to re do one yourself and then that task is done, it's all new and much less prone to problems.

I'd like to keep the budget as small as possible simply because this is just a weekend fun car. My plan was just to throw in a stock bottom end 5.3 turbo th400 and have a little fun. I read about the wiring harness which is great. Any idea what they cost?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by deonls1
I'd like to keep the budget as small as possible simply because this is just a weekend fun car. My plan was just to throw in a stock bottom end 5.3 turbo th400 and have a little fun. I read about the wiring harness which is great. Any idea what they cost?
Yeah, it's one place you might not want to skimp on. Do a Google search on LS conversion harnesses, call some of the Sponsors I listed and ask them, part of doing a build is doing your own leg work/research. If you have a harness from the vehicle your motor is from you can have that one converted to stand alone. Call and ask.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 64post
Yeah, it's one place you might not want to skimp on. Do a Google search on LS conversion harnesses, call some of the Sponsors I listed and ask them, part of doing a build is doing your own leg work/research. If you have a harness from the vehicle your motor is from you can have that one converted to stand alone. Call and ask.
I agree. I'll do some calling around to see what I come up with. Knowing that their are plug and play harnesses out there is really good to know. Now all I need to do is get a parts list started to see how much everything is going to cost me.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

If you are doing a turbo 400 i would look into Mircosquit system.
I think i have seen them for $650 with the standalone harness .
Hope this help
Dennis

Quick Reply: Looking for advice of 5.3 Foxbody