Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An alternative to expensive or sumped tanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default An alternative to expensive or sumped tanks

So as I was playing with the idea of taking my ls1 carbed swapped 81 firebird to efi, I started looking into the self tuning efi kits from holley, edelbrock, msd and fast. So what had always stopped me from going efi, stock or aftermarket was fueling. Cutting up a tank for a sump, buying a stock replacement sumped tank, the aeromotive phantom(which I think its awesome by the way) set up, or an expensive stainless steel custom tank never really was something that convinced me. Now as I was looking through their websites I ran into something really cool and can probably save a lot of time and money in a ls1 swap or any efi conversion. Edelbrock has small sump with a built in pump in it that can be mounted in the engine bay, all it needs is a low pressure feed line wether its electric or the old school pumps, and a relay for the fuel pump. This would save quite a bit of money in trying to convert the whole front to back fuel system into an efi system. I guess the only downfall is that its fuel close to engine heat and also clutters up the engine bay, other than that i think its a great alternative to save time and money.

]
Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks like more trouble then it's worth. Why have two fuel systems to worry about? Besides the Phantom kit is even cheaper.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

EFI surge tanks for either internal or external pumps have been around a long time. Don't know how well they work though.
Mercruiser made a problematic vapor separator tank in boats. Expensive and not very good results.
The main advantage I could see to that would be in adding efi to a carbed engine with mechanical pump. Easier to add that after the mechanical pump than replumbing a whole new system. With an LS, you would still need to run an electric pump at the tank.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep thinking about the new Holley Hydramat...

https://www.holley.com/news/articles...uel_reservoir/

anyone have any thoughts on it? It's not available yet, but I imagine it could be soon.

That Edelbrock thing in the first post is more expensive than ANY solution/sump or complete replacement efi tank, and not worth it IMO.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95

anyone have any thoughts on it? It's not available yet, but I imagine it could be soon.

That Edelbrock thing in the first post is more expensive than ANY solution/sump or complete replacement efi tank, and not worth it IMO.
Exactly , this unit is expensive , my stock 06 seira pump was around $100 , this thing is cumbersome and around 5 times that cost
Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought a stock replacement tank & a new 06 silverado fuel pump assembly. Some sheet metal & recessed top of tank so clear floor then made a 6x6 box 4 inches deep on bottom of tank. pump sits in that area and havent had a problem as its lowest part of tank.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95

Yes the hydramat is sweet, I keep visiting holleys site because it was supposed to be available 2/15 and still doesnt show that it is.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

go look at tanks inc efi tanks I am going to get one from them for my 78 nova, the whole set up is around is around 550, unlike dse for my car the tank is 1100
Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 79nova
go look at tanks inc efi tanks I am going to get one from them for my 78 nova, the whole set up is around is around 550, unlike dse for my car the tank is 1100
Werent people having issues with sloshing and starvation with those tanks?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going with a FAST efi 2.0 and in line pump with my car. I've got the kit and the car already has a return-style fuel system. The switch will get done as soon as the car is back from getting painted. Watch my build thread for updates.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I'm going with a FAST efi 2.0 and in line pump with my car. I've got the kit and the car already has a return-style fuel system. The switch will get done as soon as the car is back from getting painted. Watch my build thread for updates.
Will keep an eye on that, are you going to try and run the tb set up or are you going to go with a gm car style intake? I've been wondering if its possible to run their tb set up with the msd we use for carbed ls motors. Im sure their tb set up can be ran with their ez ls ign box but thats an extra 400 plus haha
Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to try running the tb setup with the msd 6010
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I'm going to try running the tb setup with the msd 6010
That's awesome man, I'll probably do that eventually as well. My focus is just getting the car on the road then redo the interior.

Quick Reply: An alternative to expensive or sumped tanks