Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems after swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission problems after swap

I swapped a 6.0 in a buddies truck that originally had the 4.8. Engine runs great, but now the transmission is leaking up at the bellhousing and is acting odd. It doesn't seem to start off in 1st when in D, doesn't shift to 3rd when in D, but it does if you shift into the 3 position. I can also hear sounds coming from the pan when it is running, they are hard to describe.

My guess is we didn't lock the torque converter well enough to the transmission when we assembled it. I did some research that we may need to replace the front pump and torque converter if this is true. Or is it possible to just split them again and make sure they're locked in this time?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

No need to split the tranmission, just pull the starter, take out the torque converter bolts, and you should be able to slide the torque converter back about a 1/4in and forward again. Without any issues. If it's jammed against the flywheel it won't push back. I dont think you would have ever got the bellhousing to bolt up if the torque converter wasn't slid back. I doubt that's the problem though... I'd try changing the fluid and filter. If it's leaking at the front seal though you'll have to pull the trans regardless to change it. Did you keep the 4.8 computer? Is the trans paired with the same pcm as before?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Yes its the same pcm and transmission. Just copied engine and engine diagnosis segments from a 6.0 tune. It leaks out a half quart or so pretty quick. The front seal never leaked before either.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Then Id agree that it has to be the torque converter then.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I hate to hear that, but I think it may be the front pump / converter. If the converter isn't seated properly all sorts of bad things happen. From what I've been told, if the converter isn't seated properly it will damage the front pump within a very short distance but I don't know first hand.

You (obviously) shouldn't have any leaks and it shouldn't make any odd noises when in gear.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys. No more engine knock but now we've got transmission problems. Its never ending sometimes. Might just have him take it somewhere this time
Old 03-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Got it figured out. Some how we lost one of the retaining clips in the the hole for the trans cooler and it was blocking the fluid. It was that easy lol

Quick Reply: Transmission problems after swap