Sponsored by:

couple of 5.3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of 5.3 questions

First, my avatar is my project
Found a 2006 5.3. I think the motor is out of the vehicle, so, how do I tell if it is a Flex Fuel motor? How do I tell if it is setup for Active Fuel Management (AFM)? Can these features be disabled in the computer? If the motor is a Flex Fuel or AFM configuration, should I avoid it for hot rod use? I'm just getting started with LS motors and don't want to jump into the deep end of the pool before learning to swim first.
Mike
Old 02-26-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

post some pics then someone will chirp in tell ya what you need to know. Asking ? is always good for learning as lots of learning lessons on here.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Teching In

When I said if found, I meant I found a ad on Craigslist. It didn't have any pictures of the motor. I was wanting to know if there is something on the motor that identifies it as a Flex Fuel, or Active Fuel Management type of motor.
I that what you meant by pictures?
Mike
Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Teching In

if you look at the valley cover under the intake and it has a bunch raised lines and grooves then it's a afm/dod engine. I have a 5.3 out of a 2005 trailblazer which has afm (displacement on demand). you need to delete the afm/ valley cover/ 4 lifters to be safe along with a non dod/afm camshaft. when you program the ecm for your build it will not have the software to run dod/afm. there is multiple places you can buy a delete kit to make it easy for you. that's the route i will be going in the next few months. really like the Texas speed kit.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Teching In

I bought a 2008+ 5.3 that had AFM. Since it was a new motor i removed all the DOD items and sold those on Ebay. I then used that money to purchase the delete kit from Brian Tooley. Fairly easy to do.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help & info. Maybe this motor is not quite the deal it first appeared to be, at least for my situation. I'll just keep looking. Maybe I could do this with used parts from the classifieds here.
Mike

Quick Reply: couple of 5.3 questions