Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Dodge Dakota gets LS motor (Completed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wow, you did change things up with that set-up. I was planning on using all my factory stuff, put a new dryer in and properly charge the system.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Lots of progress has been made. It started right up on the very first try. I do have a little bit of what sounds like noisy lifters. I had the engine rebuilt by a local reputable shop and I assembled the long block my self. New lifters were installed and on start up I had 60psi of oil pressure according to my Speedhut gauge. I only ran it for those few seconds due to the teams being low on fluid.

Tell me what u think that noise is and if I should be worried about it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dnkMvEhLbVw
Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Nothing?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a lifter/valvetrain issue, might be an exhaust flange leak too. I'd pull the belt and try it again just to rule out the FEAD...
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

It quieted down after I let everything come up to operating temp. I shut it down as the e-fan did not come on. I'll have to trouble shoot that this weekend. I have an issue with the linkage from my dodge column to shifting the 4l60. It seems that there isn't enough travel and I have to really slam it into park or crawl under the truck and physically push the linkage into the park position for the truck to start in Park or go into park. Honestly, I'm not happy with the linkage set-up as it was a quick and dirty solution. Still waiting on fittings for my AC lines.....always something......
Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Truck is running and driving. I've got my shifter linkage worked out. However, the truck is throwing Codes P0134 on both banks and P0327 twice which is both knock sensors. I replaced both knock sensors and 02 sensors with new ones when the engine was rebuilt. Looks like the most common cause is a pinched harness on the knock sensors. I'm not sure why both my 02 sensors are tripping out. I've read it could be a bad ground. I've cleared the codes once and the second time it tripped both 02 sensors and only 1 knock sensor.

Any ideas on the trouble codes???

I'm still waiting on AC fittings so I can get that going.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zTimbo
Truck is running and driving. I've got my shifter linkage worked out. However, the truck is throwing Codes P0134 on both banks and P0327 twice which is both knock sensors. I replaced both knock sensors and 02 sensors with new ones when the engine was rebuilt. Looks like the most common cause is a pinched harness on the knock sensors. I'm not sure why both my 02 sensors are tripping out. I've read it could be a bad ground. I've cleared the codes once and the second time it tripped both 02 sensors and only 1 knock sensor.

Any ideas on the trouble codes???

I'm still waiting on AC fittings so I can get that going.
If you haven't had it tuned, do that now. Swapped motors sometimes do funny things. A good tuner will be able to help you out, and save time and money.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it cammed, or open headers at the current? My exhaust screwed with my knock sensors to the point where my tuner had to scale the sensitivity way back. Just a thought before you pull the intake to check for harness issues.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

It's stock cam and a 2 into 1 exahaust with a bullet muffler. Could my 02 sensor placement be an issue? I kept them in pretty much the same place that the stock exhaust system had them.

I was going to try the O2 sensor spacers and see if that helps for now. I plan to have it tuned once I get everything finalized.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

I had a lot of trouble initially with exhaust leaking above the O2 sensors. The leaking sounded a lot like the noise you described, and went away when it was warm, but the O2 sensors hated the air being let in upstream.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by casias
I had a lot of trouble initially with exhaust leaking above the O2 sensors. The leaking sounded a lot like the noise you described, and went away when it was warm, but the O2 sensors hated the air being let in upstream.
My ticking noise has gone away completely. I'm gonna do some checking this afternoon and will report my findings.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

I did some checking and ended up pulling the intake just so I could get to the oil pressure sending unit. Glad I did because my truck steam vent line was cracked which I'm guessing was the hissing sound I was hearing yeaterday. I also noticed the wires to my knock sensors were being pinched pretty hard. I modified my truck steam vent line to be more along the lines of the f-body style. After all that I installed some O2 sensor spacers that essentially pull the O2 sensor out of the pipe by about 1/2". Yet to be determined if this solves my trouble codes for now.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Truck is still throwing all four codes after about 20 minutes of run time. I'm going to continue to ease it around while I wait on AC fittings as it has good oil pressure and is not making any alarming noises.

Once I get my AC hooked up and charged I will be taking it to be tuned.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Need some help here...truck consistently throws the 4 codes after about 20 minutes and the e-fan constantly stays on. Codes are p0154 both banks no activity and p0327 both knock sensors. I have no idea how or where to start to diagnose the problem. I do know my 02 sensors are getting voltage.

I've been trying to get an appointment at the tuner but apparently they're on the good' ol boy system there and you have to personally know them to get in....at least it seems that way.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Tuner told me it would be 8 weeks before he could even look at the issue with my trouble codes. He said it would be cheaper for to buy HP tuners and figure it out for myself than to pay him to diagnose the problem.

He seems to think there is an issue with the PSI harness.

Any ideas on where to start?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zTimbo
Tuner told me it would be 8 weeks before he could even look at the issue with my trouble codes. He said it would be cheaper for to buy HP tuners and figure it out for myself than to pay him to diagnose the problem.

He seems to think there is an issue with the PSI harness.

Any ideas on where to start?
PSI is standing firm about the trouble codes and fan staying on all the time as a grounding issue, but have failed to elaborate as to why. I have all grounds as the PSI manual states. I took my time during installation and I think that proof was the truck started on the first try. But now that I have these small issues I can't seem to get any help.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Been a week or so, time for an update...

I was able to remedy the P0154 codes by simply installing 2 new 02 sensors. I had originally installed 2 brand new AC Delco sensors from an eBay seller but for some reason they would not work. I verified power and ground. After pulling some hair out I said f it, went to autozone and bought some Bosch 02 sensors..problem solved, they work.

So that was 1 issue resolved. Next issue was the P0327 codes for the knock sensors. Seems to be a common issue with vehicles that have been on the road for a while. However, mine had not been on the road and everything was new. PSI again suggested I had a ground issue. I checked and double checked and added a ground strap. This did not solve the issue. I pulled the intake, swapped the knock sensors around and re-torqued to 11ft/lbs. While I had acces I checked voltage to the harness and was only getting .6 volts to both sensors which I'm suppose to get 5 volts. I started checking and working my way all the way back to the PCM and sure enough the PCM was only putting out .6 volts. PCM issue #1 confirmed.

I also had a issue with the primary fan running all the time. I'm only using 1 large fan. I swapped to the secondary fan wire in the PSI harness and fan now operates correctly. PCM issue #2 confirmed.

After speaking with PSI over the phone this time, they informed that there was a problem with my PCM and they would fix it free of charge if I sent it back to them. I sent the PCM out Wednesday. I expect it to back next week sometime.

While the truck was down I figured I would tackle the issue of mounting my coil pack covers. Essentially, the coil packs need to be lowered 1.125" on the valve covers. I made some simple drop brackets for the truck cool brackets. I also had to do some trimming on my covers since I'm using a truck accessory drive and a compressor mounted up top. Overall I think it turned out nice.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 Dodge Dakota gets LS motor (Completed)-image.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good. Hope you get the little things taken care of quickly.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:02 AM
9 Second Club

Nice job, man you moved right along
Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

You would think that a company like PSI that ships **** out everyday would be able to get something back to me in a reasonable time. When I sent my PCM to them it cost me $12 and it got from me to them in 2 days. They send it out back to me on the 19th and it's not going to get here until the 26th and they charged me $20 for shipping.

They seriously dropped the ball on this one!!

Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Dakota gets LS motor (Completed)