Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Camaro LSx Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can help with wiring, i've got a 94 with a 4.8/th400 with ls1 harness running now. no time to work on it in two years, but been there done that. i did factory ls1 kmember with spohn solid mounts.

Also some of the other questions - you can't use a 99+ cluster dash from any fbody, they have a new system requires bcm if i recall. so if you have a 93-96 car and want the new dash, you can get it, but you need a 97 cluster from a camaro, a 98 will not work unless it has the analog mileage. the other trick is to use a 93-97 firebird cluster, they fit the new dash.

that muscle pan will sit too low I think, fbody full setup with windage/pickup was like 320 on pace for all new parts.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyard60
Alright, seeing this my thread, im going to have to ask you guys to stop. Toddoky please feel free to follow this thread, I love holley's products just for the sheer fact as you said they are easy to use and the tech support has been awesome to deal with.

Isolde, I dont think he was trying to state that we are not able to find these things out on our own or without any of their assistance and make them work. I dont want any hostility because I do have a few questions to ask about the oil pan. Why didnt it work? What clearence issues were you having? When I did the LS swap in my 99 mustang Im using the same oil pan and it works with the stock kmember. Im fairly new to the chevy car world as I've owned ford and mopar for the last 8 years, so all of this is a new experience for me.

I dont want any hostility, im not attacking anyone im just simply asking, seeing as I still have a bit left on this project I still need some help with some of the things left, so I dont want people thinking this is a "hate" thread.

Thank you
I respect your thread and have no problems playing nice junkyard60. Thanks for the invite to follow along, I'm sure I'll learn a few things along the way.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm doing a similar swap. Mine is turbo'd though so my thread is in the forced inductions section. I started out thinking this would be a budget friendly conversion but I've spent a ton already and not done yet. Not trying to be discouraging at all. I just don't know all the LSx specific stuff so I've bought a lot I probably didn't need to buy. Plus, planning on 900rwhp reliably makes you buy heavier duty parts. Yes, I've seen the 200K mile 920rwhp 4.8 video. Lol.. That's why I know I picked the right platform.

I'll watch this thread to see how you're doing. Mine is almost ready to install in the car. The current engine, a Turbo LT1, is running fine but it's getting long in the tooth (been kicking everyones *** I race since 2008).

If there's a question about something's I can help answer, I'll be glad to do it. I have some left over stuff from the trucks original 5.8, but not much.

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 04-07-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
I'm doing a similar swap. Mine is turbo'd though so my thread is in the forced inductions section. I started out thinking this would be a budget friendly conversion but I've spent a ton already and not done yet. Not trying to be discouraging at all. I just don't know all the LSx specific stuff so I've bought a lot I probably didn't need to buy. Plus, planning on 900rwhp reliably makes you buy heavier duty parts. Yes, I've seen the 200K mile 920rwhp 4.8 video. Lol.. That's why I know I picked the right platform.

I'll watch this thread to see how you're doing. Mine is almost ready to install in the car. The current engine, a Turbo LT1, is running fine but it's getting long in the tooth (been kicking everyones *** I race since 2008).

If there's a question about something's I can help answer, I'll be glad to do it. I have some left over stuff from the trucks original 5.8, but not much.

Awesome I really I appreciate it! I'm thinking down the road I'll throw a turbo on it but right now I'm doing what I can to just get it running reliably. And yea I thought the same with it being budget friendly but I I ended up rebuilding the 5.3 just because I didn't know what was done to it and I wanted to make sure it was going to last for a while Lol
Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by merim123
I can help with wiring, i've got a 94 with a 4.8/th400 with ls1 harness running now. no time to work on it in two years, but been there done that. i did factory ls1 kmember with spohn solid mounts.

Also some of the other questions - you can't use a 99+ cluster dash from any fbody, they have a new system requires bcm if i recall. so if you have a 93-96 car and want the new dash, you can get it, but you need a 97 cluster from a camaro, a 98 will not work unless it has the analog mileage. the other trick is to use a 93-97 firebird cluster, they fit the new dash.

that muscle pan will sit too low I think, fbody full setup with windage/pickup was like 320 on pace for all new parts.
How did you like the spoon mounts? I've been debating on using those or the UMI ones. And yea after I did some measurements, the bottom of the oil pan will sit roughly an inch and half to two inches below the kmember
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

I ended up buying a used UMI K-member for mine. I also bought a new Fbody oil pan. It came with the dipstick/tube but not the F body windage tray. No gasket, no drain plugs, low level oil sensor, etc. I saw a link the yesterday that said the truck oil pan is about 8.x" deep, whereas the Fbody pan is only 5".
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

How did you like the spoon mounts? I've been debating on using those or the UMI ones. And yea after I did some measurements, the bottom of the oil pan will sit roughly an inch and half to two inches below the kmember
they are fine, i bought them used for $100 or so with all the hardware, very easy to install on the stock ls1 kmember that i used.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Well here she is, going to try and get the vacuum close to being completed and then put her in later today
Name:  20150416_174745_zpseyeg7w0y.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  606.4 KB

Name:  20150417_165820_zpszibynzbu.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  218.7 KB
Old 04-18-2015, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Glad it's getting closer to being installed. Best of luck to you today.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Glad it's getting closer to being installed. Best of luck to you today.
Thank you! after a few hours of tweaking and cursing she's in! Would of been great if I had help installing it but everyone was busy today. Felt so good to be this close to getting done and firing her up.

Name:  IMG_20150418_152255_zpshi9luicy.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  328.1 KB
Old 04-18-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn...saw this too late. I was going to suggest hooking your engine harness up ahead of time. Oh well, looks like further than me!
Good luck firing it up
Old 04-18-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats! Seeing it installed reminded me of a question I have. We're you able to use any of your LT1 coolant hoses?

Thank you! after a few hours of tweaking and cursing she's in! Would of been great if I had help installing it but everyone was busy today. Felt so good to be this close to getting done and firing her up.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice. You might look into getting a Fbody oil fill tube. They are much shorter then the truck version.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Another question. .. what about your throttle and cruise control cables? I was pulling my turbo LT1 engine today in anticipation of installing my 5.3 tomorrow (or Monday). I disconnected the lt1 cables and approximated where they'd land when the 5.3 is in place. The cruise control cable looks like it might fit, the throttle cable looks way short. I have an Fbody LS1 intake and bracket.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dave i have the non cruise control throttle cable from my lt1 going to a ls6 intake. If you have that you should be fine.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:28 AM
Teching In

I'm using a 98+ fbody throttle cable. The cruise control was long enough on mine and still had a little slack.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sierravmax
Nice. You might look into getting a Fbody oil fill tube. They are much shorter then the truck version.
I put that in so I could use it more so as a handle while it was in the hoist and when I was trying to wiggle it around trying to line it up lol
Old 04-19-2015, 03:32 AM
Teching In

Congrats! Seeing it installed reminded me of a question I have. We're you able to use any of your LT1 coolant hoses?
The heater hoses and throttle body line I was able to reuse, the main coolant hoses are too short so I'm just going to grab some from a 98+ fbody.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Damn...saw this too late. I was going to suggest hooking your engine harness up ahead of time. Oh well, looks like further than me!
Good luck firing it up
Yea i thought about that after I got it in but I'm still a little ways off on getting that done mostly because I'm slacking on wanting to tackle it lol.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:51 AM
Teching In

I know I have 8 million replies and I'll clean it up when I get to my laptop, but here's what's left before she is driveable:

Starter - ordered friday
coolant hoses
vacuum hoses and getting that figured out
transmission crossmember
Brake hard lines - ordered friday
fuel lines ran and hooked up
finish and hook up wiring harness
Main belt
Transmission cooler
Hook the shifter up
driveshaft - ordered friday

compared to what I started with I'm considering this a really short list haha. But looking it over for those wondering I've spent close to 5000 on this project. I could of done it for cheaper but I wanted to make sure everything was going to work correctly and stay running for a while. So I rebuilt the motor replaced all the bolts with arp bolts, new piston rings, new bearings, rebuilt the heads, every gasket is brand new and I added rtv to make sure they won't leak. Most of the suspension parts are new that are in place right now, the transmission was rebuilt to handle 1000hp. So fingers crossed it all works great together.

Quick Reply: 1995 Camaro LSx Swap