Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'83 Ford Ranger help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '83 Ford Ranger help...

Ok so I'm at a crossroads with my ly6 ranger swap. This will mainly be a cruiser, but want to be able to hook up if it made its way to the track. Right now the setup is an '08 sbe ly6, tick cam, gmpp ls3 dual plane, g body 1 7/8 swap headers (from an aborted swap), 80e, and a 9" w/ caltracs and mono leafs.
My question is, what would be best for front suspension? I wanted to get rid of the twin I beam suspension for clearance reasons and try to modify a '03 crown vic cradle to fit the ranger frame. Only other thing I could think of would be to run a mustang II setup. I'm open to all suggestions at this point. I'll see if I can get some pics up after bit. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

I feel your pain. The first step would be scale the truck to figure your weight bias front to back. The TIB sucks with its camber change a the front end rises. Some of the simple things are move your battery to the back and install a fuel cell W/sender behind rear axle if you have not already done so. This helps but you won't be able to haul anything. Another option is a battery mounted to RR outside frame rail before tire( there should be room and will help with "the Ranger lean") and a small car gas tank where the spare tire sits. Mustang II suspension is a good option. Crown vic would be a little tougher since the frame rails of the truck are about 23" inside on the Ranger at the crossmember, but it could be done.

Last edited by lsxRanger94; 03-12-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Teching In

everything that can be moved to the rear will be. It had a stockish 302 or 351 in it before I bought it and the guy put a 3" body lift so that really helps. I plan on setting the engine as far back as possible too.. Worst part will be getting a set of longtubes inside the frame. As far as I can tell I'll have to brace the outside of the frame and then cut the factory frame where I need to. If it doesn't get a crown vic or mustang II setup I think I'll have to shift the engine to the passenger side to clear the steering as well. The guy who swapped in the v8 basically restored it as far as restoring Rangers go lol so it won't be used as a pickup unless I'm hauling supplies to the track. Still workin on getting the picture from my phone to here..
Old 03-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Teching In

http://rs1083.pbsrc.com/albums/j396/...ff.jpg~320x480
http://rs1083.pbsrc.com/albums/j396/...xz.jpg~320x480
http://rs1083.pbsrc.com/albums/j396/...k5.jpg~320x480

As you can tell the outside is pretty clean besides being filthy. He replaced all bad metal and painted everything. he was nice enough to leave the inside a blank canvas so I won't have to undo anyone's custom bs.

Last edited by snowman47; 03-12-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

I have my engine all the way back. If you change to corvette accessories and use a muscle car/ alpha pan the swap will be a breeze. Truck pan and accessories work but are tight. Hooker manifolds may work without modding the manifold. There is room to build your own long tube headers inside the frame. If you don't mind the body lift you will have quite a bit of trans room and the 4l80e may fit with clearance.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Teching In

I have the truck accessories with a power steering pump relocation bracket and h3 oil pan. Just waiting to make room in the shop to move the ranger over and start the mock up process with a gutted motor and tranny. Most likely I will just make my own mounts or use the g body swap mounts I already have.

Quick Reply: '83 Ford Ranger help...